Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions/Guidance- Picturesque Alpine towns ,Greek islands/Athens

Old Jul 6th, 2022, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering how I can pull this off as one trip and suggestions/guidance great appreciated!
My wife and I are looking to take in the picturesque towns in Switzerland and open to other suggested options be it Bavaria, France etc (We have traveled on the Bernina from Italy and connected by train on our way to Salzburg previously). We are then planning to travel to Greece. We have previously visited Mykonos and Santorini and am wondering if Crete and Naxos with a couple nights in Athens before heading back to Newark. We are open to up to a 3-4 week tour and just fine with Airbnb and other types of casual/adventurous accommodations are both 62 in decent health. I know this is asking alot but have gotten and used some fantastic suggestions from this forum in the past. Thanks

Don

Old Jul 6th, 2022, 03:08 PM

IF you want the most helpful answers, you need to provide key facts -- including WHEN this is to be! Also have you carefully considered the weather factor... not just what time of year it would suit you to go... but when is best time for 2 VERY different locations. Personally, I've found Early May thru Early June the best time for Greek island weather, greenery, lack of crowds, etc -- but Swiss Mountains may be another matter! I'd be inclined to think that late june might be better for them. The islands are not at their best from mid Oct thru March... they're meant to be seen in the sunshine.
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Yikes..Sorry.Yes,time of the year!. How foolish. Based on travelejan's reminder.Lets try late june/begiming July start in northern Europe for those picturesque quaint towns then on to Greece ..By July it will be more enjoyable to beat the beaches and the water will be a bit more agreeable. Thank you!
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 02:54 AM

Crete is a very large island with a lot to see - most people would, I think, recommend a week or two there at least. If you include Naxos and Athens, it's easy to see that you could spend 2-3 weeks just on those three places, which leaves little time for Switzerland or other northern places. If you see it from the perspective of dividing your, say, 4 weeks up, then you could spend 2 weeks in each of Greece and Switzerland but you'd have to be selective. Greece will be hot in late July but assuming you want to enjoy the heat, I would investigate flights to Crete, then ferry to Naxos, then ferry to Athens (I haven't checked to see what options are available).

If it were me and I wanted to visit Greece and Switzerland in 4 weeks starting late June, I'd give 2 weeks to Crete and Athens and 2 weeks to Switzerland. I'd go to Crete first because I really don't like it when it's too hot, but some people relish the heat.

I have found occasionally that travelling to two completely and utterly different destinations in one holiday can be a bit jarring - but on the other hand, it can give great variety. You'll know better how you feel about that.

I hope I haven't rambled too much!
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 09:26 AM

I would emphatically REVERSE the order ... do ;you really want advice from people who've actually BEEN to the place, or NOT??? July & August are the HOTTEST Months in Greece -- and also the most expensive and jampacked ... while Northern Europeans get their monthlong work holidays, anad jump into Jumbo Jets and invade the islands like armies ... not to mention all the North Americans families whose school schedules force them to take the hottest, most crowded & costly times. By contrast, June is "shoulder season" and far less crowded, more enjoyable ... in fact, the earlier in June or the last 2 weeks of May have become the perfect times. And I'm here to tell you, from 13 trips to Greece, that island swiimming is greatly enjoable from May 15 onward. If you area from Florida, maybe you'd prefer May 25th onward.

But July!! Have you heard of Global warming, sir? Even June in Greece there have been unusual "hot-spot" phenomena, where temps of 95°F blasted Greece for short spells.. very unusual. In July, temps over 90° sometimes up to 100° are quite usual for decades. Meanwhile, In july in Switzeland, the average daily temp in the larger cities is a comfy 75°, and up in the higher reaches, about 71-72. THis is all availaable on thie internet.
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 11:03 AM

Travelerjan is getting a bit excited, but I agree with her to a point. I have been to the Greek Islands more than her 13 times, and feel late June to early July would be a perfect time for settled weather and warm(ish) sea. Actually for comfortable swimming I prefer September, but your trip is late June to July.

I have only been to Switzerland in winter (five times) and that was to ski, so had to look up a website for the best time for hiking there in the summer. The website I found said that the best time for hiking is July to mid August (below is the link). I feel wherever you choose to go first would work well.

https://swissfamilyfun.com/best-time...erland-hiking/
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response Heimdall and travelerjan!

We do have the flexibility to travel in September .We are both retired and to avoid the crowds prefer to travel in the "off" season. My concern was enjoying the water without it being to cold and temps not being too outrageously hot (we are from New Jersey in the US).We dont have to see ALL of Crete and can even rearrange our island choices to something else and get to Crete another time.(was intrigued that the food was good and reasonable there) We could opt also for 2 other smaller islands+Athens that include Naxos (or not) if you have any suggestions.If we travel to Greece 1st then get to Switzerland or somewhere in the Bavarian Alps (we are not hikers) just to enjoy the small alpine villages and mountain views in the second half of Sept does this sound more doable for a 3-4 week stay?Thanks

Don
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 05:42 AM

September might be a good time for both Greece and Switzerland. I wouldn’t delay Greece to September just for the warmer sea water, but it does have other advantages. It’s after high season, so crowds are gone, but nearly everything on the islands is still open. It’s warm, but not the blazing heat of late June, July and August. Prices of accommodation is lower in September too.

You will have to check with someone more familiar with summers in Switzerland, but high season should be over in September there too. Since you aren’t hikers, weather shouldn’t be a factor. I have been to the Bernese Oberland of Switzerland, and love the pretty mountain villages there. As I wrote, I was there for the skiing, but there is a train that goes up from Interlaken through Wengen to Kline Scheidegg, and from there up to Jungfraujoch, the highest railway station in Europe.
https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/kleine-scheidegg/
https://www.earthtrekkers.com/jungfr...s-it-worth-it/
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 05:57 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
As a frequent visitor to Switzerland, I would suggest you avoid July, August, and even early September as it can be flat out busy. We're off-season travelers, and find late September and October to be our favorite time to visit Switzerland. The crowds have subsided, yet cable cars are still operating. And as an added benefit, the fall colors in October are spectacular.

My second choice for a non-winter visit to Switzerland would be in early June, which is much quieter than July and August and warm, yet not hot (unless there's a heatwave which was the case for us one year). If you go in June, you'll want to check operating schedules for cable cars and mountain excursions you don't want to miss as some don't open until the third week of June.

Old Jul 10th, 2022, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Heimdall,Melnq8,dreamon and travelerjan.Help from people with direct experience like you is what makes planning and executing a trip so much fun.
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 01:07 PM

HAppy if we can help ... and between Graecophiles and Swisslovers, an optimum calendar becomes clearer ... THe first 10-15 days of June looks ideal for Greece, and according to Alphen-Ace Meinq8, mid-June onward seems very good for Switzerland, in order to take full advantage of the cable-car & excursion adventures that open at that time.
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 10:44 PM

Anyone who keeps writing in their posts about jumbo jets landing in Greece full of tourists from Northern Europe hasn’t likely been to Greece for at least a decade, if not more.
September is a lovely time of year for Greece & Switzerland.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 01:18 AM

Over the 20-odd times I’ve been to the Greek Islands, at first I went in May and June, then found September better for me. Families with school aged children have returned home, beaches are uncrowded, and sea water is as warm as it gets. This is the time of the year favoured by empty-nester couples. Weather is still hot early in September, with almost unbroken sunshine until the occasional storm later in the month. Although daylight hours are shorter than in June, the difference is only an hour or two depending upon what part of the month.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much.All these suggestions from seasoned travelers to these specific regions are the best invaluable advice anyone can receive. Based on our flexibility of travel and peak weather Greece in Sept sounds fantastic.Now I have to figure out the other leg of our trip Switzerland/Germany to explore the quintessential Alpine villages.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 02:46 AM

Look back at Melnq8’s post #9.