Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for wine tasting in montefalco and montepulciano

Jul 2nd, 2019, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be in Montefalco for a week and Montepulciano for a week in September.
We will have a car.
Can anyone recommend where to go for a wine tasting / tour and perhaps lunch?

Anyone have experience with Enoteca Properzio in Spello or Caprai-Viticoltore in Montefalco or Montioni Farm for wine/olive oil tasting and lunch?
Or other recommendations?
Also favorite places to eat?
Thank you so much!
Jul 3rd, 2019, 03:59 AM

In Spello, we really like Osteria del Buchetto and Ristorante Il Pinturicchio. In Montefalco, definitely eat at L’Alchemista.

On each of of our trips to Umbria, we’ve arranged a winery tour with Gusto. We’re not huge wine drinkers but have enjoyed learning about Umbrian wines and visiting small wineries. The scenery in and around Montefalco is beautiful, and we haven’t had to worry about drinking and driving.

https://gustowinetours.com/
Jul 3rd, 2019, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi Indyhiker-
Thank you so much. I will look into your recommendations.
I haven't been to Umbria and am looking forward to it!

Any recommendations for the area for food, sites, experiences, driving tips.....are appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Jul 4th, 2019, 02:47 PM

More Spello restaurants we enjoyed- La Cantina, Porta Venere, Il Mulino, and you must stop for a coffee and pastry and sit in the rear garden at Bar Bonci. We loved Spello and the surrounding towns. Also make aure you visit Bevagna. It is flat, a nice respite after climbing in the hill towns.
Jul 4th, 2019, 06:13 PM

We visited a wine bar in Montepulciano both nights we stayed there, Consorzio del Vino Nobile. Great selection of wine by the glass and a terrace with incredible views of the landscape
Jul 4th, 2019, 08:27 PM

We were in Montepulciano last year. The wineries and vineyards are in the countryside but several of them have wine shops and tasting rooms just off of the town square. The tasting rooms are at the top of the hill and have stairs that lead down to the underground wine cellars that are built in the old Etruscan caves dug in to the hill. You can explore the cellars then go to the bar to taste some Vino Nobile di Montepulciano along with some other fantastic wines. Two such wineries are Talosa (our favorite) and Contucci (also very good). Both of these places are within a block or two of the Cathedral.
Jul 5th, 2019, 08:32 AM

You can do a lot of research on www.consorziomontefalco.it I've had very interesting experiences at several wineries in the greater area--Paolo Bea is an incredibly unique and passionate winery (served at the recommended L'Alchemista), Arnoldo Caprai and Antonelli to name a few. There are many more in the area--Tenuta Castelbuono is an extremely unique and modern facility with over the top architecture.

Montepulciano--check out the new facility in the fortezza run by the consorzio di Vino Nobile---you can taste there and get info on places to visit in the surrounding area.

You won't be disappointed in both areas as we have visited both on numerous visits and never run out of things to do and explore. Have fun.
Jul 6th, 2019, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all!

Thank you all for really helpful recommendations!
I will look into all of these suggestions! So helpful!
I am excited!

Lynn
Jul 6th, 2019, 10:18 PM

Hi Lynn,
A lengthy response:
We once had an excellent time at Enoteca Properzio in Spello. I later reported about that over on the Lonely Planet 'Thorn Tree' forum. There, some Euro-jerk responded with smug comments about how that enoteca's wine choices 'pandered to Americans', whose wine tastes he saw as unsophisticated and therefore wanting. Despite not being American, I took issue with his unnecessarily snarky attitude and countered with, "If I were European, I'd at least show a little respect towards the country whose grandfathers once crossed an ocean at tremendous risk in order to save their asses."
The traveller-than-thou jerk did not like being confronted and things got heated for a bit.

Anyway, Enoteca Properzio. It is a truly world-class wine experience. We opted for a simple salad lunch while ordering glasses of some Sagrantino, some passito and finally (sound of trumpets) **the finest Pinot Noir either my wife or I have ever tasted: Fendi from Valfabbrico, up near Perugia. Who knew?! No Burgundy Pinot Noir in our experience has ever tasted as good. We splurged on buying a bottle to take with us. Our salad and also the chocolate biscotti that came with the passito dessert wine (Ruggeri) were both outstanding A+!
Owner Roberto Angelini and his adult daughter continue their family tradition of operating a welcoming enoteca. Btw, check out their remarkable dining table out in their back patio, all orange marble and Afghan lapis lazuli. Weighs a ton and may be the loveliest such table that your eyes will ever set on. Ladies will appreciate that 70 plus Roberto takes flirting seriously, and the whole experience will probably rank as a good memory. Tante belle cose.
I am done. The end.
Jul 7th, 2019, 03:43 AM

We booked this via email for an upcoming Saturday in September:
"New edition of “Montefalco in the glass”. This year the Consorzio Tutela Vini Montefalco resumes the cycle of tastings of four wines of the region, in search of a place full of passion and typical wines. In fact, thanks to the guide of expert sommeliers, every Saturday starting April 7 until October 27 2018, you can taste a white, from Montefalco Bianco Doc, to Spoletino Trebbiano and Montefalco Grechetto DOC, a Montefalco Rosso Doc, and Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG dry and sweet."

https://www.consorziomontefalco.it/e...obre-2019.html