Suggestions for - Vienna to Rome - Trip Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the itinerary my girlfriend and I have currently planned out.

Arrive 10/4/12 Evening (10pm)
- 10/5/2012 Vienna City Center, Historical Places
- 10/6/2012 Vienna Museums, Naschmarket
- 10/7/2012 Vienna Day trip to Bratislava
- 10/8/2012 Vienna to Salzburg Morning Train (3.5 hrs), Arrive at Noon, Garden and Beer Hall
- 10/9/2012 Salzburg Old town and Fortress
- 10/10/2012 Salzburg to Venice Morning Train to Venice, Grand Canal
- 10/11/2012 Venice to Florence Sightseeing, 2 hrs train to Florence in late afternoon
- 10/12/2012 Florence Museums and City Center
- 10/13/2012 Florence to Tuscany Sightseeing, Drive to Lucca afternoon
- 10/14/2012 Tuscany San Gimignano, Prada Outlet
- 10/15/2012 Tuscany Sienna
-10/16/2012 Tuscany Bologna
-10/17/2012 Tuscany Genoa
-10/18/2012 Tuscany to Rome Drop Car back to Florence, 1.5 hr Train to Rome
-10/19/2012 Rome Ancient Sites, Spanish Steps, etc
-10/20/2012 Rome Vatican City
-10/21/2012 Rome Sightseeing in the City
-10/22/2012 Flight Home

A few considerations I have.

1) Food - We both enjoy walking and eating, well, anything and everything. In the range where we can afford a nice meal from time to time and am not super budget concious, but find that less fancy mom-and-pop type places off the beaten path tend to have the best food.

She is looking for seafood far and above other food style (more likely in Italy, I suppose), while I like, well, all Italian foods and some Austrian. We are the type of food lovers who would take a day trip to a separate city just for the food specialty. Which is why we have Bologna on our list. Not sure if it lives up to the hype.

Any other recommendations or suggestions for us?

2) Day Trips - Our hotels are all booked but I have a great levity between adjusting the day trips I have planned. Particularly in Tuscany and whether I choose Bratislava or an Austrian town to day trip from Vienna (or just stay in the city itself).

I like museums (more historical than art, but both really) and history, while my girlfriend likes fashion (and wants to do some shopping) and wants a day of hiking in nature, though she will have to tolerate the museums and churches.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

3) Transportation - We are picking a car up and dropping off in Florence. Otherwise, we will be travelling by train. We are planning on booking trains beforehand (she needs to with her visa), and am looking for ways to get the best train rates. The websites are awfully confusing

Thanks for your assistance and any suggestions you have.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:32 AM

I just returned last week after a 3 week trip to Italy and Austria, and covered most of the places mentioned by you. The weather was very hot in Italy, though it will be different in October. Salzburg is amazing, so is the Tuscan region. We covered the Tuscan region through guided tours and it was good. Regarding transportation, you can book the tickets on Italian and Austrian train websites. Italian trains offer some very reasonable rates (look for the super economy tickets if you are sure about the dates of travel, as these cannot be cancelled). Sorry, can't help you on other points. All the best !
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:29 AM

thomasa510,

We've done this trip in reverse about 6 times (Rome to Vienna) for 5-6 weeks each trip. There is so much to see and do, you'll love it. My input to your question about day trips is:

Day trips for Vienna: sure go on to B'Slava or maybe Melk on the boat. But you can decide when you are there, depending on your mood. We usually stay in Vienna for 4 days and can't get enough of the city itself (walking around is like being in a museum) so we've never gone on a day trip from Vienna, although we've seen alot of Austria. You will find much dichotomy of opinion on this board between those that really like alot of Vienna, and those that say 2 days is enough. So it depends on your personal likes.

One thing you may not have thought of is the opera. Seeing opera in Vienna is really something great. We saw our first opera in Vienna (thinking we didn't like it but we gave it a try), and we've been hooked ever since. Madame Butterfly and Carmen are both playing when you are there. Classic, wonderful, and exciting and both good choices for a 1st opera. You didn't ask for this input, but I thought I'd throw it in there. Vienna is a great music city.

Day Trips for Tuscany: where will you be staying? That will help in recommendations. Are you staying in San G., Genoa, Sienna, etc. or are those day trips from somewhere? Does your girlfriend want to know where the best shopping is? You didn't ask, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Add'l question: you're staying 1 night in Venice? Just want to clarify.

Looking forward to your replies,

LisaG
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a very ambitious itinerary in places. You "like museums" but hope to see Florence and all of its treasures/museums in just one day. And you're spending only 24 hours in Venice?

I can't tell where you're staying in Tuscany. Is it Lucca? If so, Lucca is not the most convenient base for the day trips you list. You'll be spending a lot of time in the car.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:49 AM

I would not recommend a 4.5 hour round trip (according to Google map) for a day in Genoa.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Im staying just outside Lucca. Will have a car and it looks like an 1.5 hr drive to Genoa and Bologna. Not really tied to either; but both were interesting to me and seemed relatively close with a car.

Venice I will have 1.5 days in. Florence, 2 nights. Felt like I could always head back to Florence from Lucca and cut something else out if I felt like it. This way I'm not tied to Florence but can return if I wanted.

My girlfriend can spend a day max in a museum before losing it. I would love to spend more time visiting museums, but I have to temper them with her interests.

Oh and she would love shopping spot recommendations. She's Chinese so she is a sucker for the luxury brands. : (
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM

There are public parking lots on the south side (Viale Enrico Panzacchi) of Bologna's ring road, within a ten minutes walk from the city center.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 08:42 AM

If you are staying outside Lucca rather than in Florence proper, I suggest you pick up the car in Venice and leave it in Orvieto (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...th/4201069529/ ) on your way to Rome. You could see Ferrara, or Bologna, or Ravenna (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57622914503405 ) on the way to your stay near Florence.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:24 PM

I would estimate Lucca-Genoa at closer to 2 hours each way, not counting time to find parking. FYI, by Oct. 17th, sunset will be at 6:30 p.m. I avoid driving after dark in foreign countries, especially if it means looking for signage on semi-rural roads.

Lucca-Bologna may take slightly less than 2 hours, but you still have the issue of parking and driving back in the dark. If Bologna is a must, consider taking the train. It will still take 2+ hours each way, but the train will deliver you to the city center and the last fast train back to Lucca probably leaves at 8:30 p.m.

You won't have 1.5 days in Venice. The earliest train from Salzburg probably departs at 8:12 a.m. and arrives Venice at 2:25 p.m. Unless your hotel is within a short walking distance of the Venice train station, you likely won't be able to drop your luggage until at least 3:15/3:30. So, you might get 2 hours of sightseeing on your arrival day.

Definitely consider Michael's suggestion of picking up the car as you're leaving Venice, otherwise...

You'd have to leave Venice by train no later than 2:30 p.m. in order to arrive in Florence before the car rental offices close. If you pick up the car at the Florence airport, you can arrive later, but it will take a little more time from Venice. If you wanted to drive to Lucca in daylight, you'd have to leave Venice by train before 3:30 p.m.

http://www.fsitaliane.com/homepage_en.html
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

I'm picking up the car as I'm leaving Florence , not when I arrive, which is after two nights in Florence. So I can stay in Venice until late.

Many people advised me that Venice is a small compact area that wore on them after awhile. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen.

I agree with not driving at night but after a couple of days in the agriturismo I think it should be ok.

Any good food suggestions.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:54 AM

thomasa510,

The best shopping for high-end brands is at The Mall. It's in Reggello outside of Florence. You can drive there (when you have your car in Tuscany), or take a shuttle bus from Florence. Here's the link:

http://www.themall.it/en/

QUESTION:

You seem to be drawn to the cities (i.e., Bologna, Lucca, Genoa). Are you interested in the hill towns in Tuscany? I know you've gotten so many recommendations already, but mine would be to skip Genoa, and perhaps even Bologna. Spend more time in Tuscany and see more of the hill towns: the Chianti towns, Volterra, Cortona, Montepulciano, etc. You'll be there in October when the tourist crowds are very light. A great time to see these classic beauties.

You note you are staying in Tuscany, but then you say you are staying outside of Lucca. It's hard to tell from your post if you are actually staying in Tuscany. If so, please shed light on that. Thanks! It will help with day-trip recommendations

One thing I don't think you are taking into account is how long it actually takes to drive places. And if you are only going to cities, then why have a car?

LisaG
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi. I'm staying two nights in Florence and five in lucca. I thought lucca was in Tuscany?

I'm interested in the hill towns and had one on my list. Kind of exploring the myriad of options and realize its impossible to see all that much in a short stay.

While I like having a mixed vacation with a variety of cities towns etc.; wine country is not my thing. I enjoy a glass or two before it gives me awful headache.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM

Lucca is in Tuscany, but Tuscany is nearly 9,000 square miles(23,000 sq. kms.). Whether Lucca is a good place to stay depends on where you want to explore, and most of the usual destinations in Tuscany are too far for day trips.

Siena is close to 2 hours one-way from Lucca. San Gimignano, Arezzo, most of Chianti, Volterra, Bologna, Genoa, are all at least 90 minutes from Lucca. Montepulciano, Pienza, San Quirico, Montalcino, are 2.5 hours from Lucca.

So, it depends on where you wanted to go and how much time you're willing to spend in the car every day.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:15 PM

Sorry, I confused the situation by inferring that Lucca is not in Tuscany.

If you are staying in an agriturismo outside of Lucca, then you can actually wait until you get there and get input from the owners and/or other people there. I've found that that's where I get great information. It's often most informative because then you can be apprised of local festivals or markets that it would be difficult for us to know about.

One of the great pleasures of traveling in Italy is to decide "on the ground". You have a well-blocked out itinerary, and can decide on your day-trips when there.

You wil not be near any of the traditional "wine towns" in Tuscany, but you will be near other wine regions. Don't cross those out---often they are the most beautiful locations and have interesting history, not to mention food. I don't drink much wine either, and count our trips to the many wine towns as some of our favorites.

Have a wonderful time!

LisaG
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Lisa and jean and everyone else. Thank you both for your replies.

I feel like every trip I take I'm told I'm moving around too much and what not. I realize that is always true. Only one vacation place left me wishing I had spent less time (santorini- too touristy with zero local flavor)

And I always return from trips completely wiped out. China last year left me exhausted.

But there is limited vacation time until I hit the lotto and too many places to go.

Trying to balance all these factors out.

Genoa and bologna interest me for the food...but going to only one seems practical . I will probably wait until I am there to make the final decisions but want to have an idea before I leave.

Lucca seemed pretty well centralized for genoa and bologna and the 2 hr drive doesn't really scare me (wake up at 7 arrive by ten). Obviously don't want to spend my whole. Action driving but don't think I am.

Thanks again.