Need help with our itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help in planning our trip. We will be flying in and out of Stockholm in August. We've been to Western Europe several times but never been to Eastern Europe. We want to see both Prague and Budapest but would want to go back to Amsterdam and Paris as well. Our vacation is for 3 weeks. We were thinking only 2 nights in Amsterdam (been there 3 times already) and 5 nights in Paris (visited there 4 times already). Any suggestions, please? Thanks.
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 02:22 PM

Neither Prague nor Budapest are in Eastern Europe.

That said, pair a map with train/plane schedules to determine where you're going to go and how. The two closest cities in your list are Amsterdam and Paris. You're not going to or from Stockholm except by flight - both Amsterdam and Prague are 24-25 hours away by train.

You're going to need intra-Europe flights: Train from Prague to Budapest (or reverse) is nearly 8 hours. Prague to Amsterdam by train is nearly 13 hours.
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, i guess Central Europe...
We are thinking of flying between countries.
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 03:59 PM

It's not too early to start booking intra-Europe flights NOW. The longer you wait, the greater the cost and fewer the options. Check Skyscanner and Whichbudget for low cost options.

I am flying EasyJet (no frills, but generally reliable) from Amsterdam to Prague next month, and Transavia (never heard of it before and will have my fingers crossed) from Budapest to Paris Orly. Easy Jet also flies Budapest to Paris, but arrives very late. These airlines are very cheap, but even so, it is well to book as soon as possible for the lowest fare. No refunds for the very cheapest fares. You will have to decide how to get from Stockholm to Amsterdam and from Prague to Budapest. N.B. Some of the no-frills airlines do not fly every route every day!

In my research, most people recommend at least 4 nights in Prague and at least 3 in Budapest. Since you are planning 2 nights in Amsterdam and 5 nights in Paris, this gives you some additional time for something else, like Vienna or Berlin. Vienna makes the most sense since it is roughly halfway between Prague and Budapest. (But see caution below)

Be careful when counting vacation days. The day you leave Stockholm and travel to Amsterdam (for example) will be shot by the time you pack your bags, check out, travel to the airport to arrive at least an hour before your flight, fly, claim your bags, get ground transportation and check into your hotel. Same goes for each time you change cities. Still you have plenty of time for 5 cities in 3 weeks even counting travel time between cities.

Try plotting out your time as follows:

Day 1: Arrive in Amsterdam
Days 2-3: Explore Amsterdam
Day 4: Travel to Prague
Days 5-8: Explore Prague
Day 9: Travel to Budapest
Days 10-12:Explore Budapest
Day 13: Travel to Paris
Days 13-18 Explore Paris
Day 19: Return to Stockholm

Plotted this way, you see you have some built-in extra time, but you are not over-extending yourselves, making a hectic rush to "see the must-sees" in each new city before heading to the next airport/airplane.

Bonne chance!
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

@zorrosf : thanks for your suggestions. I'll start looking at the airfares for intra-Europe.