Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for things to do and see in Dublin Ireland in October '09

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there! My friend and I will be in Dublin for a few days in Oct. We arrive around noon on the 21st and depart in the morning of the 25th. We do not plan to rent a car. I know this is a broad question. Is the coast worth seeing? Is it close or easy to get to? Also, is transportation pretty good? Will be be able to get around to different places on a public train system or bus? (We'll be staying in city center Dublin). Is is feasible to do a day trip to Belfast (and/or worth it?). We don't have any idea what to do in Dublin, we just saw it an option to fly out off back to the US (we'll be in Germany, Switzerland, and Italy for 10 days before Ireland). We pretty much like almost anything...love souvenir shopping, love plays, theatre (shows), going to the coast, seeing sites of interest, cool pubs. Any ideas? Thanks and hope this wasn't too open-ended, we really just have no expectations for Ireland...we really don't know much about it at all but am looking forward to the experience of being there! Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:12 PM

don't have any idea what to do in Dublin,

I bet a guidebook could solve that problem.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM

I’m not sure how much you’d do in a day but here are a lot of suggestions – you’ll have to weed them out and pick only the best ones for you – and Dublin is very small you can definitely walk all around it! They also have the Luas, which is a terrific tram system, and buses, and the DART which will take you quickly out into the countryside along the coast.

Start at St Stephen’s Green – walk through it – come out onto Grafton Street. Pedestrians only – always lots going on – street vendors, buskars, expensive department stores. Off to the left a block or 2 you’ll find PowersCourt Townhouse Centre, 59 South William Street, lots of little shops and restaurants on several floors. To the right off Grafton you’ll find Hodges Figgis bookstore, 56 - 58 Dawson Street, also the National Museum, 2 Kildare St, and the National Library of Ireland which hopefully will still have the amazing exhibit on William Butler Yeats (even if you HATE poetry you’ll like this!).

Walk back to Grafton Street - to Trinity College - walk in to Trinity College, wander around. Maybe see the Book of Kells. Go north, cross over the Liffey via O'Connell Street bridge and walk up O'Connell Street. See the G.P.O. on O'Connell Street, where the 1916 Uprising started. There’s Cleary’s department store on O’Connell Street (on the east side of the street). Turn left just past the GPO onto Henry Street, just north of the GPO - this is where the natives shop! Go down to Jarvis shopping center, come out the back - walk back down to the Liffey and cross the Liffey by the Ha'penny Bridge - Now you're in Temple Bar. Have fun!!

For a day out of Dublin I suggest you take the DART train down to Bray – the train ride itself is great! The train hugs the coastline… great views. Walk to the beach in Bray, go all the way down the boardwalk past the arcades, towards Bray Head. You can walk around Bray Head or you can climb up to the very top of Bray Head. Well worth the view! Or you can get off the train earlier, at Dalkey – a really cute little town – or Killiney, just a beach but very pretty.

I also recommend taking the tour bus that you can hop on and off. You might want to see the Guinness Brewery, I recommend Kilmainham Goal, also there’s Collins Barracks which are part of the national museum – all are west of the center of Dublin but you can reach them by the tour bus. If you have time, the 1916 Rebellion Walkign Tour is a lot fo fun – the tour guide is funny, but you also learn a lot! http://www.1916rising.com/

I only wish I was going to Dublin too
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

OMG! OMG! usafran!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to write all the wonderful information down! I am printing it out and it all sounds awesome! (I do love poetry, too!) You were soooo helpful. Thanks
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Easily my favorite of the many things we saw in Dublin was Kilmainham Gaol. Don't miss it!

Dublin is fairly accessible on foot and by bus. If you're in the city centre you can walk all over. Usafran wrote you up a nice list. Definitely make sure you see Trinity College, Grafton St./ St. Stephen's Green, O'Connell St. and the General Post Office and one or two of the cathedrals. Dublin Castle is interesting. 29 Lower Fitzwilliam Street is interesting. But above all, Kilmainham Gaol. If you don't know much about Ireland, you'll get a history lesson here.

I have a complete trip review of our time in Dublin on the site and you should be able to see it by clicking on my name. If you're interested in a pub crawl, I highly recommend the Literary Pub Crawl that starts at the Duke Pub (on Duke St., just off Grafton). Our favorite meals in Dublin were at Queen of Tarts and Gruel, both casual places with excellent food.

From Dublin you can take day trips to all sorts of places. You can go out to Newgrange and see the neolithic burial chamber there, which is pretty cool. You can go down to Glendalough in Co. Wicklow and see the monastery and graveyard. It just depends on what your interests are.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Yes - I forgot to include Dublin Castle, or a trip to Glendalough as a possible day-trip - both great. Also - you might want to try to catch a play... I don't know what's on now but I've seen plays at the Abbey, at Dublin Castle, at Trinity College (lunch time Samual Beckett, I think - included a brown-bread sandwich asn cup totea lol!)
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM

"....Easily my favorite of the many things we saw in Dublin was Kilmainham Gaol. Don't miss it!"
I could have written that.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Erin! I read through and printed your trip report (the Dublin part), and it sounds great! We are booked at the Camden Court Hotel, which is apparently city center, so hopefully will be very easy getting around. Queen of Tarts sounds great! Thanks for the restaurant tips, too, in your trip report! Thanks again to all for the info...now just waiting for October to be here!
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 11:53 AM

The camden court is very accessible to town and I used to live in that area. Food reccommendation here would be walk towards town down wexford st. Just off this is Pleasants street and take a left onto pleants st. The "Cake Cafe is a local haunt and is open some nights for dinner.

I think the Chester Beatty Library is a gem behind Dublin Castle. It houses the largest collection of Asian Art in Europe and was donated to the people of Ireland by Chester beatty. Very intersting place and has a nice garden to sit and eljoy the sunshine beside it. The silk Road Cafe inside is excellent self service (cafeteria style) food that is lebanse incluenced. Its open for lunch and I can vouch for the excellent food.

Brey....hmmm Personally I would not reccommend. Its ok but has a seddier side and I think has seen betyter days. Take the Dart the opposite way to the end (northside) and end up in Howth. This has some excellent seafood restaurants a nice pier walk and a village feel. Alternatively take a different dary North as well and go to Malahide. Its a really cute looking town with good food, walks and slightly larger than howth.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SiobhanP for all the food recommendations. We are both foodies!