Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for things for adolescent to do in Switzerland & Paris?

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking about taking my 13 year old niece with me to Paris & Switzerland next summer. In Paris, obviously, we'll see the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louve & maybe Disneyland.... any other ideas for fun things for a 13 year old to do? Also thinking about Switzerland... just because it seems to have easy train access from Paris. But, not sure what city to head to. We both love cooking and have looked (unsucessfully) for a cooking class or private instructor in Switzerland. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:27 AM

I took my 15 year-old nephew to Switzerland for 3 weeks a few years ago.
Not really anticipated, but he became homesick and short-tempered for a while.
Make sure to get a calling card over there for calls to mom & dad.
That said, his best memories were 1) of a high mountain real cheesemaking demo in the Maegisalp/BernerOberland area, 2)
the Titlis mountaintop - accessible from the town of Engelberg by a series of three gondolas. You can get off at Truebsee, halfway up for a picnic on a pristine lake, with snow-capped mountains reflected all around, before continuing up. At the top is a snow park (even in summer) with tobogganing and a cool glacier to walk inside of.
Finally, he BEGGED me to tandem hangglide, which is readily available from several towns in the Berner Oberland. I didn't feel safe to give that permission, but many others did, and loved it.
The Berner Oberland would offer the greatest variety of things to do, of interest to both you and your niece (hikes, boat trips, Transportation Museum in Lucerne, outdoor "living museum" of Brienz, Castle tour in Thun).
Happy travels!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Hi Kennedy3,

What a great aunt/uncle your niece has! I think this will be a very special and great trip.

I'm trying to find some cooking classes in Switzerland for you but not having much luck. If you want to expand your desires to simply eating well, the Swiss National Tourist Office has a brochure (online or in hardcopy by mail) for a route based on "Gastronomy and Wine." Here's a link:

http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/navpage-Routes-W_D.html

On the myswitzerland site, I also found a link to a travel company specializing in gastronomy in Switzerland. Here's a link to one of their Swiss packages:

http://www.virtuoso.com/ge/europe/switzerland.htm

You may be able to e-mail them for more information on cooking classes.

So, what else is your niece interested in? History? Art? Architecture? Gentle walks on alpine trails? Cruises on an alpine lake?

If you don't find any cooking classes in Switzerland, you may want to just go to Luzern for a great mix of mountains, lakes, history, and shopping.

Let me know if I can help further.

s
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:47 AM

With the very GREATEST of respect as you say you are "thinking" about taking your neice....have you asked her if she would like to go? If so, have you asked her what things she might want to se and do?

I'm sure you're the best of people but i also think the young person might enjoy the trip more if they were ENCOURAGED to take an active part in the planning which would help ensure her enjoyment.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 11:15 AM

I don't think of Switzerland as a special place to go for cooking classes, but I've never searched. That sounds like a nice trip, but an alternative I thought of was that you could make it an all-France trip and go to Provence instead of Paris. I know there are cooking schools down there and it would be a easier to get to than Switzerland. Of course, you can go by train to most places from Paris, it's just a matter of distance.

I think the Paris/Provence with cooking would be a nice trip. Patricia Wells has some cooking classes down there, for example. www.patriciawells.com/cooking HEre are some other places I have info on:

www.cuisineprovencale.com in Arles
www.3ponts.edu in Burgundy

I'm sure there are lots of others.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Adolescents may especially like the Catacombs in Paris - narrow passageways hewn out in medieval days or the Cite des Scienes at La Villette - lots of hands-on science exhibits, or AquaBoulevard- a huge indoor swimming complex, or the Bateaux Mouche boat rides on the Seine, in addition to going into Notre Dame cathedral, climb up on its top, via narrow ladders to go eyeball to eyeball with the gargoyles and stone fantasy monsters sculpted there to keep evil spirits away. At night kids will like the fire-eaters and street entertainers in front of the Pompidou Center; check out the Big Wheel - hundreds of feet high Ferris Wheel often in the Place de la Concorde, Tuileries area. Or Gravin Museum of wax figures. Most 13 year olds I see traveling in europe seem bored - a tough sell.