Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for restaurants in Dublin and Killarney

Jan 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have some suggestions for good restaurants (anything from upscale to the very basics) in Dublin and Killarney? Thanks!
Jan 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM

In Killarney, we had dinner one night in an Italian restaurant called L'Artesta -- mussels, pizza, salad. It was a BYOB restaurant so I brought a bottle of wine with me for dinner.

Murphy's Pub had great pub food with the music starting at 9:30. Get there about 8:00, have dinner near where the music starts, and remain for a few guinnesses & music afterwards.
Jan 11th, 2007, 04:33 PM

We ate at the Hairy Lemon in Dublin, and while it's not upscale by any means, the food and service was good, it's a pub and it's near many other pubs and restaurants.
Jan 12th, 2007, 03:22 AM

There's plenty to choose from in Dublin. Upscale - Patrick Guilbaud, The Unicorn, Thorntons, Peploes, Chapter One and One Pico are all very good. My persona favourite is Chapter One and they have a great pre-theatre menu which is very reasonable (circa €30 pp) if you are going to the Gate nearby.

Mid range I would highly recommend Venu on South Anne Street. It's run by Patrick Guilbaud's son - excellent food and fab cocktails too. Brasserie Sixty6 on Georges Street is also excellent. Others that have opened more recently (that I have not yet tried myself) include Saba (oriental food), Fallon & Byrne and Rhodes D7.

For basics - the Epicurean Food Hall just off Middle Abbey Street is great for lunches. If you search SiobhanP's posts she has made some great recommendations in the past.
Jan 12th, 2007, 04:40 AM

We had wonderful panini sandwiches (the best I'd ever had!) at Marble City in Kilkenny... and then went across the street for fabulous trad music by Caladh at Kyteler's Inn (they are both in a small alley just south of the castle). I also remember Breathnach's in Kilkenny having great sizzling steak, but that was 4 years ago.
Jan 12th, 2007, 05:08 AM

Another vote for Kyteler's Inn in Kilkenny for pub food.