Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for rest of day with 1pm Borghese Gallery reservation?

Aug 6th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

I recently made my reservation for the Borghese Gallery. Our ideal scenario was taking the 9am slot and then having the rest of the day free to do other things, but the earliest they could get us in was 1-3 pm.

My understanding is that the Borghese Gallery is sort of out of the way and not near other sights. My concern is that having the reservation smack in the middle of the day will make it difficult to see or do other things that day.

This is our first trip to Rome, and as such we are focused on seeing the major sites. Also, we will have 4 full days for sightseeing. One of which, however, will be a Sunday -- so I had been planning to use that day to see things like the Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, etc. that would not be closed.

Based on this, does anyone have thoughts on how we might best use the morning/evening of our Borghese Gallery tour? Or, would it be better to try to reschedule the tour to another day to try to get an earlier spot?
Aug 6th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Well, it is up to you if you wish to change the hours.
You can see other places in the morning and take a cab to Borghrse - it is not very far from the Spanish steps( it is also not far from Via Veneto - a nice are to walk around and look at expensive shops and restaurants)
Aug 6th, 2007, 12:12 PM
kja

If you like museums, the National Etruscan Museum (Museo Nazionale di Villa Giulia) and the National Gallery of Modern Art (Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna) are quite near the Borghese. Hope that helps!
Aug 6th, 2007, 12:25 PM

National Gallery of Modern Art is a wonderful place with a very nice restaurant.
Aug 6th, 2007, 12:27 PM

A lot of museums (other than the Vatican) are closed Mondays rather than Sundays.

For the day you are going to the Borghese you probably don't want another major museum in the morning. You could pick one or more churches to visit. Maybe something like Piazza del Popolo and Santa Maria del Popolo or Santa Susanna and Santa Maria della Vittorio, then to the Borghese gardens/gallery

It depends how much you want to walk and what the weather is like.
Aug 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM

I think I'd try to switch to the 3:00 entry. That way you'd have the whole morning and time for lunch before grabbing a taxi to get you to Borghese at 2:30. Then a leisurely stroll across the gardens and down Via Veneto for window shopping and the afternoon vino/gelato, ending at Trevi.
If you can't change, select a brief morning activty that will allow you a substantial snack before 12:00, because a sitdown lunch won't be possible at that hour. On the plus side, leaving Borghese at 3:00 allows more time for the afternoon adventure.

I would not lose sleep over this -- the important thing is that you have a rez for the fabulous Borghese. Most museums and ancient sites are open on Sunday, so you should be able to hit all the high spots.
Aug 6th, 2007, 12:42 PM

The park itself and the Spanish Steps are a short walk as well.
Aug 6th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Do NOT miss walking through Pincio Park that surrounds the Borghese. Unbelievably beautiful!! Here's a few images of the park in January of this year.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-1el6rs

Aug 6th, 2007, 01:21 PM

sandi_travelnut,

The *whole* park that surrounds the Galleria Borghese is called the Villa Borghese, and it is on the Pincio hill. The Pincio Gardens are only the part of the Villa Borghese that overlooks Piazza del Popolo.
Aug 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM

That is the part I am referring to and that the photos are of.
Aug 6th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Well, you could do a fun/strange tour on your own.

From Termini, go over to the Baths of Diocletian (kind of across the street), visit Santa Maria Angeli, Michelangelo's wonderful church built into the baths. Cross over to the Republica metro stop and go to the Berberini stop.

You can see the Fontana del Tritone. From here, go up Via Veneto to the Capuchin Crypts (less than 50 meters from the metro stop). Be certain to visit the church too, it is wonderful.

From the crypts, take the 52 or 53 bus about 3 stops to the Borghese stop. Tell the driver you want to get off at the Museo Borghese.

After you finish in the museum, walk across the park to Spanish Steps, drop down to Caffe Greco and relax.

dave
Aug 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Even though you're focused on seeing the "main attractions" this is a great opportunity to relax and experience being in Rome.

Early in the morning, head to the Piazza D. Popolo. Have an expensive coffee and pastry on the piazza and watch the world on this gorgeous piazza for awhile. Then visit the S.Maria D.Popolo church (gorgeous artwork! Amazing architecture!A must see in my opinion!)

Then walk or take a taxi to the Borghese. Get to the museum at 11:30 or so and have a light lunch in the lovely little cafe downstairs from the museum. You will need to check in and pick up your tickets at 12:30 for a 1:00 reservation time (also downstairs.)

After the museum,stroll the gardens. It's gorgeous!
Aug 7th, 2007, 02:54 AM

If you do go to the Piazza del Popolo as several of us have suggested, be sure to climb up to the Pincio gardens for the spectacular view of the city