Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for reasonable hotels/B&B's in London

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 01:57 PM
Krista

My husband and I are visiting London in Aug/Sep and we're looking for hotels or B&B's under about $125 USD per night including tax/service/breakfast. Nothing ritzy, just nice and clean. Any central London area will do, such as Victoria Station, Kensington, Soho. Any suggestions?

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 02:34 PM
wes fowler

Krista,
Try this for starters. Check out the website www.kgp-publishing.co.uk
The site contains the complete contents of the Great British Bed and Breakfast guide with descriptions, amenities, costs and contact numbers. There is a significant number of London B&Bs listed.

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 12:29 PM
elvira

We stay with a delightful woman whose home is in Swiss Cottage (10 mins via underground to the center of London), a quiet residential neighborhood (the added bonus is she's near ABBEY ROAD). We pay about $125 a night for two, including a gigantic breakfast. Martine is a wealth of info about the city, and makes you feel very comfortable (one room has bathroom in the room, other room has bathroom in the hall right outside the door). Email me if you'd like her name and address.

Also, you can contact the British Tourist Authority for a list of 'approved' homes (that's where we found Martine)

Old Jan 10th, 1999, 12:36 PM
Karen

I haven't been to London in a couple years, but Ebury Street right near Victoria Station is a great place to start. It's one B&B after the other.

I stayed at Cardiff House last time I was there. Bernadette is the manager. After getting back to the states I found out my mother and her friends have stayed there several times. It's clean but not fancy. I shared the bath down the hall. I believe it was $35/USD in February. So the price would be higher in Aug/Sept.

I don't know about you but I'd rather spend my hard earned $$ exploring the city than sleeping in a fancy hotel room with amenities I'm not going to use!

Good luck and have a brilliant time!

Old Jan 11th, 1999, 04:04 AM
Jeff Walker

Krista,
As a resident of London, my suggestion is to check out the Abbey House Hotel in Kensington. My wife and I have stayed there on several occasions prior to moving to this city, and I can tell you that we have not enjoyed ourselves more than when we have stayed there. There are many hotels in the Victoria Station area that are reasonable, however, the staff at Abbey House are great, very helpful and the breakfast is enormous. Check it out.