Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Suggestions for plays in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/suggestions-for-plays-in-london-149538/)

Jo Ann Jul 25th, 2001 09:34 AM

Suggestions for plays in London

Please suggest some good plays in London

Mel Jul 25th, 2001 09:51 AM

You'll get lots of answers to this one, I'm sure! My personal favorite is Les Mis, which has been running at the Palace for over ten years. Tried and true, it has wonderful music and is a great theatre experience. The last two years we've seen it three times and John Owen Jones played Jean Valjean in all. He's absolutely perfect so I'm particularly high on recommending it if he's still doing it. <BR>Starlight Express and The Lion King are also good. I'd like to see The Graduate next time. <BR>If you want something quintessentially British, see The Mouse Trap, the Agatha Christie mystery which has been running for about 50 years (joking, but close)! <BR>You don't say when you're going, but availability for the newer runs will be tough to get in the near future.

Linda Jul 25th, 2001 11:38 AM

Actually, Mel, you're right on. Mousetrap had its 50th anniversary sometime last winter (I believe December, but may be wrong on that one by a month one way or the other). It is one of my favorite plays, as are Les Miz and the Lion King, all of which I highly recommend.

dinah Jul 25th, 2001 12:20 PM

If you're interested in musicals, "My Fair Lady" has just moved from a sold-out run at the National Theatre to Drury Lane -- that will be my first choice if I can make it to London this fall!

debbie Jul 25th, 2001 01:02 PM

Without a doubt Mama Mia but you will proably have trouble getting tickets. My advice is to show up at the box office THE DAY BEFORE and get returns for the next day.

Pam Jul 25th, 2001 02:19 PM

Going to be in London lst week Sep. Anyone seen Phantom of the Opera? Haven't seen it yet. Best seat area?

Prue Jul 25th, 2001 02:59 PM

Pam, <BR>Phantom is absolutely wonderful - I have seen it about eight times in various places round the world. I don't think it matters much where your seats are - although not too close to the front if possible as you will miss the overall scenes. <BR>The music really makes it - I am sure you will enjoy it wherever you sit.

Prue Jul 25th, 2001 03:02 PM

Jo Ann, I forgot to say in my previous post that as we have been lucky enough to see most of the musicals that are on offer, we have seats for the play Noises Off in September. It is a comedy that has been running for some time and has had great reviews.

Patti Suttle Jul 25th, 2001 07:50 PM

Jo Ann-got back from London a few weeks ago and we saw Starlight Express and Buddy-the Buddy Holly story. We got all tickets at Leicester Square day of performance booth for 1/2 price. They are both great and both are great for families. At least one of our group said Buddy was his higlight of London! <BR>Patti

Candace Jul 29th, 2001 04:23 AM

We used the Leicester Park ticket booth too if you don't have your heart set on a certain play it's a great affordable way to see a play. Beware of all the ticket sellers on the surrounding streets they advertise half price but really aren't.

KenCT Jul 29th, 2001 05:04 AM

You can certainly get bargains at the "Official" half price ticket booth, but you can't plan ahead, and you can't have your heart set on a specific production. As is the case in anything else sold at a discount, you're buying a product that isn't selling at full retail. <BR> <BR>I agree with the poster who recommended "Mamma Mia." You don't have to be an ABBA fan to love the show, but if you are, you'll smile all the way through. But rather than waiting in the -huge- lines on the day of the show, I'd recommend for any show that you really want to see, go to Playbill Online http://www/playbill.com Click on "London" and you can read about the plays currently running. You can order tickets directly from that site, but I print out a copy of the theatre's seating plan and call the box office directly, remembering the time difference. When you're spending all that money to see a specific show, the added price of an international phone call isn't a big deal.

Dennis Jul 31st, 2001 07:39 AM

I also recommend Buddy - the Buddy Holly Story, if you like his music from the 50's. You could get half-price tickets at the theatre for the 5:30 PM show on Fridays (in advance)when I was there in July.

Sue Jul 31st, 2001 07:45 AM

We saw Starlight Express and did not enjoy it. I would give this one a miss.

Alma Aug 3rd, 2001 09:12 PM

Jo Ann, <BR>If you like musical's, you will love "Blood Brothers". It is a musical drama. It's been playing 13 years and gets better each year. It was funny and also a tearjerker. Even the actors cried at the end. Standing ovations over and over. Everyone I know who saw it, loved it. Any seat is good in the small theatre and dress is casual.

Hope Aug 5th, 2001 09:59 AM

We will be in London next April & will probably try the 1/2 price ticket booth mentioned here. We'll take our chances. <BR>Is the booth easy to find? Or marked in any particular way??? We want to make sure that we're using the right place. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

nadine Aug 10th, 2001 04:49 PM

Ijust got back from London where I had planned to see Mama Mia , but I was scared off by an article in the London newspapers saying how people are having to leave the theatres in droves because of the heat where it has been recorded at being near 100 degrees. Remember that the theatres in London do not have airconditioning so bring a handheld fan or you will roast. Mind you that everyone told us it was unusually warm for London even in the summer.

Patti Suttle Aug 10th, 2001 05:04 PM

Nadine-yes, it can be hot in the theaters in London during the Summer-it was when we were there at beginning of July. They passed out fans at The Buddy Holly Story "Buddy"! For those of you going in the FAll it will probably be better-I would not let that stop me from going to the theater!

Annie Aug 10th, 2001 09:36 PM

Well, what constitute excellent plays with good plots are rather subjective. I have watched The Westside Story & Starlight Express & enjoyed the latter tremendously. Do visit the official half-price ticket booth at Leicester Square 2 obtain tickets for that same evening's performance. Plus service charge the ticket costs less than 20 pounds. You will recognise the booth when you see a clock tower & a long line of queues at the stalls.

Tara Aug 11th, 2001 01:16 PM

Does anyone know the hours of the Leicester Square discount ticket booth? Is it like TKTS in New York, in that it is a good idea to be in line before it opens?

Angela Aug 11th, 2001 02:22 PM

Just returned from London and really enjoyed Fame. There is a 2 for 1 special until the end of September which I received in a brochure from the British tourist Authority. The play is being performed at the Victoria Palace which is air conditioned. Hope this helpful