Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for navigating around Rome, Venice, Florence and Paris while sightseeing (aka what kind of map, if any, do you carry?)

Suggestions for navigating around Rome, Venice, Florence and Paris while sightseeing (aka what kind of map, if any, do you carry?)

Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

Our trip to Paris and Italy is fast approaching, and lying in bed last night I realized I had overlooked one important detail: how to get around the cities we visit without getting lost! How do you guys handle it? I'm not super-attracted to the prospect to be walking around cities with a guidebook, both because they are bulky and I don't want to stand out too much. Do you
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Oops, wrong button! Anyway, I was just wondering if people here have any suggestions about the best approach to take -- should we print out maps of the cities from the Internet (if so, do you have any suggestions of good ones?), just ask at the front desk of our hotel for directions each day....?
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:17 PM

Many hotels have city maps they will give you for free. Tourist Offices in most towns have free maps, but you have to find the T.O. first. I figure I'm already spending a ton of money, I might as well spend more on individual city maps. Everyone has their preference, and mine is the Sreetwise series. Barnes&Noble, Borders, Amazon.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:39 PM

For a month in Paris, Streetwise Paris was my map bible. Lists all metro stops plus sightsseing spots. I also used Streetwise Rome while there.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:53 PM

We also used Streetwise for Rome, Venice and Paris and all were good, and they are flat and small, but laminated so they are hard to beat up. The best piece of advice we got for navigating Venice (from the owner of the B&B where we stayed) was to just follow the crowds and eventually you will get where you want to go, and it was so true! And of course one of the fun things about Venice is to be lost anyway.