Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for memorable dining experiences for boys in Paris

Old Jun 6th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending a week in Paris later this month with our son and his family which includes boys that are 12, 10 & 10. For dining I would like to find places to eat that will create memories they will remember and believe me it would not be great sauces or lovely presentation but something that is cool or rad or whatever the current term for "wow" is right now

The Fodor's Kids in Paris mentions Dragons Elysees with an aquarium in the floor. Since it doesn't get rave reviews on TripAdvisor I'm still willing to eat just OK Asian cuisine to give the boys an experience I'm guessing would be memorable. I thought possibly a restaurant that serves raclette and fodue but I'm a little concerned about hot oil and 3 pairs of young arms trying to cook at the same table .

Are there any places you would recommend in Paris which might make a lasting impression on our grandsons? Thank you for any suggestions, Deborah
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 05:34 AM

I'm truly not trying to be snarky, but what wowed my son in Paris was really good pastries, sandwiches on really good bread, and crepes. He definitely noticed.

~Liz
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 05:47 AM

There's Le Gare in the Trocadero if they are train buffs. It's a converted train station where you can dine on the actual platform outdoors. The food is very good.

Take the mini train ride into Le Jardin d'Acclimitation in the Bois de Bologne, where there is the cafe serving "fast food" and ice cream, where we ate out doors with peacocks strolling around. After, we strolled over to the small amusement park where there are rides and games and an Angelina Cafe for hot chocolate. There's a boat ride there that's also fun where your photo is snapped as you come around the bend.

We took our boys to Jules Vern at the Eiffel Tower for lunch, pricey but so memorable. Private elevator, skip the lines, and then access to go up higher.

Enjoy what sounds like a fabulous trip!
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Liz, I didn't take your comments as snarky at all. I certainly hope the boys think the pastries and sandwiches are memorable because I'm planning on dining on them as much of as possible. We are going to Normandy and then an overnight stay in Brittany near Mont Saint Michel so the boys are expecting to eat crepes as soon as we arrive

travelchat, Le Gare sounds terrific and Bois de Bologne was one of the parks on our list. I think Jules Vern is a little too expensive for our travel budget as Ron and I will be paying for all 7 of us on this trip

Thanks, Deborah
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 07:23 AM

Le Chartier @ 7 Rue du Faubourg Montmarte in the 9th could be interesting with its extensive menu where waiters write your order on the table and the interior probably hasn't changed since they opened in 1896.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 07:43 AM

Deborah
I know Jules Vern is pricey but those French fries in the shape of the Eiffel Tower are still talked about itwo years later!

The boys loved the steak/frites dinner at the one menu only Le Relais de Entrecôte as well as the tower of raspberry icecream meringue dessert. There's one in Saint Germain and another in Montparnesse near the Luxembourg Gardens. Lots of French families celebrating birthdays, very festive. Budget friendly with a very reasonably priced wine list.

I'm reliving our fantastic time in Paris as I write! Look forward to your trip report.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 08:37 AM

They might like the kitschy Los Ancestres des Gaulois. All you can eat of everything. Big ole hall. When we were there there was a choir from Holland that broke into song.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 09:16 AM

Chartier these days is a tourist joke, though if the boys are new to Paris I suppose they might enjoy it. The food is execrable, though, for the most part.

They might get a kick out of Le Sergent Recruteur - not for the food necessarily, but for the novelty. And if they like a bit of refinement, Le Ciel in the Tour Montparnasse, as much for the view as for the (rather expensive, but decent) food.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 09:39 AM

I think kids and fondue isn't a great idea, and don't know why that would be so memorable. That isn't even typical French cuisine and the only restaurants I know that serve that are not particularly cool in terms of cutting edge.

Jules Verne sounds fun for sure, but it is very expensive, you don't mention your budget. Otherwise, there is a much cheaper restaurant in the tower, also, you could go there.

I could think of some type of restaurant with food they might enjoy, like crepes, but not gimmicky things like you seem to be looking for. Maybe they should learn just to enjoy places for the food and for being in a different place, not for things like aquariums. I would think kids would get a kick out of just eating something simple, even pizza, in some Parisian cafe on the sidewalk terrace or something, as it's so different. It's warm weather now so plenty of places will be outside. Maybe something like Brasserie en l'Isle.

I'll admit I"ve never been in a restaurant that had a family eating there with three children that age, maybe they mainly eat at home (wouldn't surprise me due to the cost). The one exception is when I've been at Bogingers, it is pretty family oriented so a group may have a large table with several children. But families with a lot of children don't usually dine out in small bistros.

I do think the top of the Montparnasse tower is pretty cool for the views, you can look all arround the city in different directions. There is a quasi-expensive restaurant up there, but just a snack bar, also.

Polidor is family-friendly and a very old historic French bistro with typical cuisine, but it isn't modern or full of wow, it would just be more if you wanted them to learn more about something typical in France. Actually, Chartier is probably a good idea as at least it is very cheap and noisy, although I don't think waiters writing on tablecloths is that exciting myself (and doubt if it will be to kids who want to be wowed).
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 09:49 AM

Yes, maybe the less expensive restaurant at the Eiffel Tower. Maybe lunch up around Place Tertre in Montmartre with all the artists? See Sacre Coeur and the mimes around there? How about Le Train Bleu for lunch--and have them read an appropriate book to connect to the time?
We ate at some restaurant in a basement where you sit at long tables with other people--different?
Do they serve lunch on the roof of Galeries Lafayette?
I LOVE Brasserie en l'Isle. Eating on the terrace. the waiters are super--the view terrific. Walk on down the main street of Isle de St. Louis. There is a great toy store on the left and an incredible marionette store further down on the right--just looking in the window is marvelous. And Berthillon is right there also.
I know it's "frowned upon" here, but the gyro stores along rue Hachette could be a bit of a wow for them. And the food was tasty.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 01:00 PM

I think it would be extremely interesting for boys that age to see the difference between an American and a French McDonalds. Give them some money, and the adults could eat across the street.

And I like Gretchen's suggestions, though it is Printemps, under the amazing dome, where I would take them.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 01:08 PM

Chez Francis on Pont de l'Alma as a "nice" experience - make a reservation and ask for a window seat. Eat when it is dark and watch the Eiffel Tower twinkle.

When they are feeling hungry for something "American", take them out for breakfast for dinner.
http://www.breakfast-in-america.com/main/
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 01:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Le Sergent Récruteur has become a high end trendy restaurant, so you can cross that off your list.

Chartier is not bad, but I would tend to imagine that it would interest adults more than children.

I will mention Buffalo Grill, since I think most people here would not set foot in such a place even though it is the biggest (table service) chain in France. It is purportedly "western" themed but it is after all a French chain and even the so-called "American" items on the menu are not really American at all.

http://www.buffalo-grill.fr/
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 01:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I forgot to add that it also has extremely reasonable kids' menus, which is a plus just in case not wasting money is important to you.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 01:23 AM

If these were Italian kids, I could guarantee that the place that would delight them the most would be the Hard Rock Café.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 02:17 AM

Anywhere that serves snails - my sons loved them.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 02:28 AM

Another thought is one of the greek restaurants on rue de la Huchette where they smash plates. And it has a double bonus of an Amorino ice cream shop on the same street!

The ice cream itself will impress them because the cones have the ice cream shaped in the shape of flowers

http://www.amorino.com/en/

Also, I would definitely take them to Rue des Canettes for Pizza (near St. Germain des Pres). Go to one of the restaurants where they can sit near the wood stove where the pizzas are cooked.

Pizzeria Positano 15 Rue des Canettes, 75006 Paris
Chez Bartolo 7 Rue des Canettes, 75006 Paris

Santa Lucia 22 Rue des Canettes, 75006 Paris (my favorite because it is more spacious)

Also if you want to get an early start on crepes the restaurants on Rue Montparnasse are especially well thought of. Most famous is probably

Crêperie Josselin 67 Rue du Montparnasse,75014 Paris, France ‎ or its smaller resto on the same street:

Le Petit Josselin 59 Rue du Montparnasse

But seriously there are about 6-10 crepes places there since Montparnasse has long been a place where Bretons settled

Also another thing would be to visit the Grand Epicerie of the Bon Marche and let them pick out some things for a picnic or lunch at your apartment if you are renting one.

http://www.lagrandeepicerie.com/
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for so many great ideas and including some of your favorites. Since we will be in Bayeux and near Chenonceau the week before Paris I expect the boys will have already eaten in brasseries and cafes so I was looking for something different for them in Paris.

kerouac, I had Buffalo Grill on my list but then when I saw it had an Americanized menu I nixed it-yes, I do fall into that category of Americans who would not eat there -but looking from the viewpoint of my grandsons, I'm quite sure they would like it.

With so many helpful suggestions, I'm feeling much more positive with our dining options. I was having trouble finding possibilities for family dining that would appeal to the boys. We are in an apartment but don't plan on cooking--maybe do a "bring in" dinner one night.

jpie, we are staying in the 6th, thanks for including the addresses on Canettes. On our very first trip to Paris, many years ago, we stayed at Hotel College du France. We ate a couple times on rue de la Huchette--yes, we fell for the hawkers, the huge displays of kabobs in the windows and the unexpected sound of breaking plates---we are now more "savvy" travelers and have not eaten there since then--but it's a perfect suggestions for our boys. If nothing else that street has a carnival like atmosphere that they will think is a little crazy fun perhaps!!

Thank you again, Deborah
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 08:52 AM

Yeah you might as well get them initiated early to the Greek plate breaking places-then they will be over it
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 10:34 AM

The crepes places probably aren't the best idea if you are going to Brittany anyway, I just noticed that.

I do think rue de la Huchette sounds like the perfect ticket, actually. I don't really understand what is wanted if the idea is they already will have eaten in a French cafe and brasserie, so you want something different, but you won't go to a place that has an Americanized menu. I'm not sure what is left, I guess a full-fledged restaurant? I do know an Italian chain where there are sometimes kids, but the restaurant itself is nothing special at all (Bistro Romain).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -