Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Melk, Krems, and Dürnstein

Jul 17th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

I want to visit Melk, Krems, and Dürnstein. I want to base myself in one town, staying for a couple of nights and visiting the other two. From your own experience , do you have a suggestion as to which town would be preferable as a base? I don't plan on having a car, but rather using the trains and busses, though of course I can rent a car if it's necessary.
Jul 17th, 2009, 07:23 PM

We stayed in Durnstein at the Sanger Blondel for a few nights (back in 03) and very much enjoyed the hospitality and good food. We did have a car, but I believe I recall seeing passenger boats going up and down the river. Durnstein is small but oh so charming! Have fun.
Jul 17th, 2009, 09:06 PM

I believe Durnstein would make the better and probably most convenient base for your visit.
Durnstein is between the 2 other places about 6-7 kilpmeters from Krems and 25+- from Melk.
While smaller in size than the others , Durnstein offers a good choice of accomodations and dining plus good sightseeing too.
Krems is a city of about 30,000 while having an old and intersting old town, it does not really have a good selection of places to stay.
It can be less convenient as the boat dock and train station are some 3 kilometers apart - not an easy walk but you can take public transport.
From Durnstein, you have a choice of taking the Danube boats to both Melk and Krems.
Also you have the train for journey to krems and with a combi train and bus to Melk.
The train station a 5 minute walk from the village center.
The boat dock in the village center , but requires a passage up and down as the village sits wll above the river.
You soon learn that several ways exist to reach the dock- 1 much easier than the other.

Durnstein while full of tourists during the day becomes quiet at night. The ruins of the castle above are lighted at night as is the promenade along the Danube - makng for very nice for an evening walk.
Durnstein is not big so your walk easily done in a few minutes , but some nice little streets to journey through to have a look at the old houses.

their website
www.duernstein.at

for Danube boats

www.ddsg-blue-danube.at

www.brandner.at

for Krems

www.krems.at

The boat dock at Melk is about a 15 minute walk from theb Abbey that should be visited.
Melk is a nice town but suffers from less than great accomodation choics-
perhaps the best is the Post.
A nice town center with several cafes and shops for the tourists.
Jul 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I'll print it out and then plan my stay accordingly.
Jul 17th, 2009, 11:09 PM

I should add

for melk

www.stiftmelk.at

for train info

www.oebb.at

also but in german

www.wachauerbahn.at

for the area
www.wachau.at

I should also add- the train between Durnstein and melk is not running for a short time- recent bad weather helped to cause a rockslide near to the tracks west of Durnstein. The authorities have blasted away more rock to make it completely safe in the future. Rocks are now being removed from on and near to the tracks. This job to take some days.
But if you do not plan your visit for some daysor months yet - no problem for you.
september is a good time to visit too as the grapes from many hillside vineyards will be harvested and a festive time .

Enjoy your visit.
Jul 17th, 2009, 11:53 PM

Hi, another vote for the Sanger Blondel. We stayed there last year and thought it was terrific, great food, hospitable owners, clean and bright and welcoming. The garden/restaurant area is lovely. It's very central in Durnstein, which is a small pretty town with lots of tourists shops.

http://www.saengerblondel.at/

Kay
Jul 18th, 2009, 12:02 AM

The boat from Melk to Durnstein passes through a lovely part of the Wachau valley. Be sure to take it one way or the other.
Jul 18th, 2009, 01:08 AM

One added way of exploring this area is by Bike.
this is one of the most popular biking areas in Europe.
excelent, paved bike paths are found on both sides of the Danube.
Bikes available to rent at several places , some accomodations even provide some free.
1 kilmeter from durnstein is the sister villages of Loiben.
These actually part of the governmental district of Durnstein. You will find many wineries , heurigers / wine taverns and restaurants there.
Great to pack a picnic lunch and just slowly wander about.
A food market and bakery in Durnstein to let you get all you need for this.
Also in Durnstein is a small passenger ferry , I think about 2 euro that will allow you to take a bike to the opposite side of The danube to access bike paths there and sample a more quiet part of the danube. naturally heurigers and wineries on that side too.
Jul 18th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Last fall on September 29, we purchased the ticket at the train station in Vienna for the train to Melk, the abbey, boat ride and train back to Vienna. No one informed us that the last boat of the day left Melk at 1:30pm starting September 28. We didn't get to Melk until noon. When we walked to the boat landing and visiting the abbey we found no boats for the rest of the day.

We were able to use our train ticket to Melk and the abbey ticket. We then had to purchase another train ticket back to Vienna. The depot in Melk would not honor our ticket back to Vienna and we could not get a refund on part of a used ticket. After returning home I wrote the company but never received an answer.
Be sure of the dates you are going to Melk and what is really available re boat etc.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM

Bookmarking for my 2010 trip. Just booked my flight last night!
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:41 PM

You can spend a lovely day on the boats that ply mainly between Melk and Krems, via Durnstein - they even have bikes to rent so you can bike one of Europe's most scenic bike routes, as molker so well describes - on flat riverside paths and the re-join the boat later.

There is also a sweet walk we took from Durnstein to Krems - paths largely thru vineyards - just a few miles.