Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Suggestions for medium priced hotels in Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/suggestions-for-medium-priced-hotels-in-florence-219466/)

liver227 Jan 4th, 2007 08:34 AM

Suggestions for medium priced hotels in Florence

I will be traveling with my DD and SIL in September. We are traveling to Chianti and stopping for 2 days in Florence. Any suggestions for medium priced hotels? What historic places would we put first on our list of places to see.
Thanks

p3t0t Jan 4th, 2007 08:56 AM

A group of us stayed at Hotel Casci, Via Cavour 13. It's right in the center, 2 blocks from San Lorenzo mkt. Very good location. Don't get discouraged from the look of the hotel from the outside. We paid eur 150 for double room (u'll get discount if paying cash). The rooms are spacious & spotlessly CLEAN! We'd highly recommend it.

kfusto Jan 4th, 2007 09:33 AM

What do you consider medium price?

San Gallo Palace has spacious rooms that can accomodate triples and still leave breathing room for under 200E a night. I have stayed there a half dozen times and am doing so again this fall. It is a bit out of the tourist center, which I prefer.

A central B&B with large rooms is the Soggiorno Antica Torre.

Flame123 Jan 4th, 2007 10:21 AM

I have been to the Hotel Casci FOUR times, that should attest to what I think of it.

It is right in the center of the city, but since it is on the third floor of a building and has pretty good soundproofing, it is quiet and you can sleep well at night.

It is spotless, the family who run it are amazing (nothing is too much for them and it is always with a smile and with energy unparalleled in other places I have stayed), breakfast is abundant and includes items like eggs, good coffee, rolls, etc.

I would never consider staying anywhere else.

Is this your first time in Firenze? If so, I would pay a visit to the David statue in the Accademia (right around the corner from Hotel Casci), I would stroll around the San Lorenzo market, (right across the other corner from hotel), go to Piazza Signora, Ponte Vecchio. I don't know if you are interested in art but if yes, you might want to take some time to visit the Uffizi, and the Il Bargello museums.

Let me know if I can help with any other specifics.

grandmere Jan 4th, 2007 10:21 AM

We loved the annex of Hotel Bellettini; the main bldg. is more 2 star (and less expensive), but the annex was lovely. Great location, too. www.hotelbellettini.com

artlover Jan 4th, 2007 10:31 AM

We love Hotel Villa Belvedere--www.villa-belvedere.com.

aggie83 Jan 4th, 2007 11:14 AM

try Residenza Johlea www.johanna.it it's a B&B residence not far from train station and centrally located..don't forget to make reservations in advance for Uffizi and Academia or you will be standing in line all day..you can make them in advance by phone at no extra charge

liver227 Jan 4th, 2007 12:35 PM

Thank-you so much to all who gave ideas where to stay. Always nice to hear from people who stayed at these hotels,so much better then just looking at pictures on line.
I noticed that several of these hotels will book tickets to some of the museums which is a bonus. I'm sure will be on art overload!

LucieV Jan 4th, 2007 01:19 PM

Rleais Grand Tour. I posted a review on TripAdvisor if you're interested. Very special, one of my favorite places I've ever stayed!

LucieV Jan 4th, 2007 01:19 PM

Sorry, Relais Grand Tour.

liver227 Jan 5th, 2007 06:03 AM

LucieV,
I was a little confused on your suggestion of the Relais Grand Tour. If you are in a single room your breakfast is not included? Looks like some the bathrooms are really tiny, my SIL is over 6 feet will he have a problem?
Is anyone familiar with these restaurants in lorence,Semidivino or Mimmo?
Again thanks for all your input.

LucieV Jan 5th, 2007 08:06 AM

I'm losing my mind, liver, I do apologize. The only review I've posted on TripAdvisor is Arco Lauro in Rome.

Relais Grand Tour: the bathrooms are huge, at least in the suites (we stayed in the Actor's Suite.) Now, I have no idea how large your dh is, but mine is 5"11, and he fit fine in the shower -- they're not huge, but they're not teensy tinsy either.

Breakfast (continental) was included w/our room (suite). We opted for the eat-in-the-local-cafe option (you're provided a little meal ticket thingie), but you can also have breakfast delivered to your room if you prefer.

If you have more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. Honestly, it's a place I can recommend unquivocally.