Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for inexpensive getaways later this month?

Nov 8th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Tina

I have the week after Thanksgiving off - I didn't plan on it, but my employer is having all of us use our vacation time up now while business is slow. I am game to hop on a plane and head over to Europe if I can find a good deal. Any suggestions? I'm visiting family in Los Angeles for the holiday and then probably taking off the next day. I've found some good airfares to London, but the exchange rate isn't so hot. Any safe getaways that offer a good exchange rate? Thanks!

Nov 8th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Ann

At $1.45 to the pound (obviously, it will be somewhat higher to actually exchange money), I'd say the exchange rate in the UK is pretty darn good right now. It's a little higher than it was several months ago, but only by a few pennies.

But if you're busting for some spectacular exchange rate, you can't beat Canada right now. I'd try Montreal.

Nov 8th, 2001, 12:50 PM
John

I recommend you look at www.go-today.com for some terrific prices on week-long packages to Europe.

Nov 8th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Holly

Alitalia's got a few specials going for the next few months. Check 'em out. Wish my boss would tell me to take a week off right now...

Nov 8th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Tina

Thanks for the quick replies. Taking time off right now wasn't my idea, but I'm trying to make the best of it. I just need to make sure and watch my budget since I might come back to no job at all the way the economy is going.

The deals on www.go-today.com look great. Now the challenge is finding another person to tag along with me.

Nov 8th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Vita

Oh, Tina! Don't let that stop you. Travelling alone can be great. Personally, it's my preference. I envy you. There are some great deals right now, but I just got back from Italy so returning to Europe at the moment wouldn't be prudent financially no matter how low the airfare is.

Nov 8th, 2001, 01:39 PM
TTammy

Hi there. I wondered if any of the americans have visited the Canary Isles. Can you get a package from u.s. to there?

Nov 8th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Christina

Why don't you look at www.francevacations.net, they have some excellent packages to Paris and London. They're a California company, I think, and have Los Angeles departures. If you want to go to England, though, that is an excellent exchange rate so you should go if that was your reason. I don't keep up with that but I can't remember in past years when it's been that good, seems like it's been $1.60+ for years (ie, a pound costs more than now). If you have a week off, I'd go to Europe rather than Canada.

Nov 8th, 2001, 06:03 PM
xxx

Just be warned that most of the companies base their rates on double occupancy and they require both travelers to leave from the same airport, so forget hooking up with out of town friends.

Nov 9th, 2001, 09:23 AM
c

Edinburgh is a great city for solo travel. It's a safe city for women to walk around in and there's plenty to see and do. No need for a car and there are actually a number of reasonably priced hotels.

Nov 9th, 2001, 10:21 AM
elvira

Don't confuse exchange rate with costs: even with a good exchange rate (GBP vs $US), London is more expensive than just about anyplace in Europe. By the same token, with careful planning, you can do London on a budget (with many of the museums now free, sightseeing becomes less expensive).

Decide what you want to see and where you want to go (no matter how cheap the airfare, you could not get me to Chamonix in the winter), then check out airfares/packages to places that meet your criteria.

Nov 9th, 2001, 12:32 PM
James

The Canary Islands have kind of become the Daytona Beach of Europe (well, there are several--Ibiza is the main one).

Nov 9th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Gigi

Try Bestfares.com
I've been watching them for awhile and they consistently offer good buys.
I hope you find something and have a wonderful trip!