COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Great Boulangerie/Patisserie in or Near 1st Arrondisement, Paris?

Suggestions for Great Boulangerie/Patisserie in or Near 1st Arrondisement, Paris?

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:21 AM
tpl
Original Poster

Thanks to the other posters who recommended a new title and more descriptive message for this post. Hope this one works better . . .

We are staying at the Hotel Therese, located in the 1st arr. near Avenue de L'Opera, equidistant to the Pyramides and Palais Royal metro stops.

We have already been to Fauchon, Angelina, Laduree, Dalloyau and a few others in the general neighborhood. Any recommendations for a great boulangerie or pattiserie in this area? A great spot to pick up a quick baguette, pain au chocolat or sandwich?

As a reference point, a few of my favorites on the Left Bank are Mulot, Bonbonnière de Buci and Poilane.

By the way, we have been to Paris several times and have always stayed in the 6eme (Artus/Buci, D'Aubusson, Relais Christine, etc.), but thought we would give the Therese a try this time. Didn't find too much information on this board, so will post a report for those interested on my return.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:29 AM

A bit off topic, but my reply will top this post anyway.

I stayed at Therese in 2002. Thought it was quite nice (small rooms). I don't really spend too much time researching hotels, and location is usually quite important for me. This is quite centrally located and is near a Metro line (no. 7? no. 4? I think it's the pink line).

Nearby are a couple of Japanese restaurants and I think that there's a Cambodian restaurant right next door (if I remember correctly).

What made you pick it? Was there a deal you found somewhere? I may want to return to the hotel at one point.

Have lots of fun.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:54 AM
tpl
Original Poster

Hi 111op, thanks for your reply. Yes, the hotel is near the 7,4 and 1 lines.

I read about the Therese in a travel article in (I think) a UK paper. I did a little research after that and thought it looked pretty nice. It is definitely well-located and the decor (from the website pictures) looks comfortable, not fussy. Also, some of the other hotels we usually stay at have raised their rates considerably, which made us more open to trying a new place. We usually walk all over the city, so we'll just be starting from a different location this time.

Relatively speaking, the Therese's rates are fairly reasonable to start, so I don't know if they do a lot of discounting. I didn't find any deals on the web, and reserved directly through the hotel.

Did you try the Cambodian restaurant? Also, what made you choose the Therese?
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Hi, I'm continuing to veer off topic here, but it will help top your post some more.

I chose Therese because it's central. As I mentioned, I don't give a whole lot of thought into hotels, so location is usually the most important for me. And price. I always try to stay under 150 Euros per night, unless the prices are generally high and I've no choice. Therese was probably 120 Euros when I booked, but I can't remember.

I think that it was just freshly renovated when I was there, and it was just fine. As I mentioned, rooms might be small (and I forget if there was a/c), but I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to hotels, as I said, and this was fine.

I didn't try the Cambodian restaurant, but it seemed quite popular. I had the feeling that it would have been good. I tried the no-frills ramen place down the street. By the way, I ran into Catherine Deneuve in a Japanese restaurant on the Left Bank on this trip in 2002 -- so don't pooh pooh the idea of Japanese restaurants in a trip to Paris. You just never know whom you'll run into.

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:14 AM

There is a chichi little patisserie at the corner of Adm. Coligny and rue des Pretres Saint Germaine (across from the east facade of the Louvre)...
kind of a hike for you from your hotel, but "hiking" in Paris is pretty nice to do!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM

Last time I stayed in Paris I stayed at the Relais de Louvre Hotel and was delighted by the pastry shop that was on the corner near my hotel. It was called Patissier Cador and is on the corner of RUE DES PRETRES SAINT GERM AUXERROIS and RUE ADMIRAL DE COLIGNY (near the Louvre-Rivoli Metro Station). Its a cute place and offer the tastiest pastry, croissants and treats! Here are some pics of the place and the sweets...

http://photos.yahoo.com/richardabfodors

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 12:40 PM

We're very fond of Le Pain Quotidien in the 1st. It's right on the Place du Marche St.-Honore and has wonderful breads, croissants, pains au chocolate, and pastries.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 12:56 PM

I always stop at Andre Cleret at 4, rue des Lavandieres-Sainte-Opportune in the 1st. The metro stop is Chatelet. It is open 7:00 am to 8 pm and closed sunday and monday.
We just happened upon this place one day and loved the breads, sandwiches and especially pastries. We also had some tasty chocolat. We weren't aware until we had been there a few times that the store had a sticker from Patricia Well's "Food Lover's Guide to Paris" She highly recommends it. Try the malagache, a deep, dark, dense chocolate pastry.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the pictures richardab!! I'll be in Paris in September and have started a book to write down all the great places that Paris travellers recommend and this one is definitely on the list!! I love pain au raisins and the ones in your photos look huge!! I'm tasting them right now! It also gets a second recommendation just above your posting! Must be good!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 04:13 PM

I also love the Boulangerie Cleret at 4, rue des Lavandieres-Sainte-Opportune in the 1st. When I stayed at the Hotel Britannique i ate there every morning and got a snack every afternoon. Yummy place and very reasonable!

While in the area be sure to check out the upsscale garden shop Le Cedre Rouge.

I posted some pics on Yahoo photos of Boulangerie Cleret and some of the pastries I ate....

http://photos.yahoo.com/richardabfodors - in the folder called "Boulangerie Cleret".
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:01 PM

This last time in Mar I stayed at the Clarion St James on Rue de Rivoli. There was an awesome shop on St Honore and St Roch streets. The ladies are really sweet in there. The last day I practically cleaned house in there. I bought 10 pain au chocolats, 3 baguettes to bring home. Remember to pack zip lock bags to bring home goodies.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Sunshine, is that all you bought?
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:00 AM

richardab: Loved your pictures of Cleret. We stayed over in the Marais and walked over there everyday. Whenever I visit Paris, that is a must do my first day.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:15 AM

Oh Richard! Now you've done it!
I stayed at the Relais as well in November. Love that hotel. And the Patissier Cador, and the tabac at the other corner and La Fumoir up the road... and the Pont Neuf and its views ... now I've got to go back... just gotta! mmm... now how??
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:17 AM

now i am itching for a long weekend in paris.....
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 10:17 AM
tpl
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Really looking forward to our trip.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 12:45 PM

What about meals? Have you planned any? La Fountaine de Mars? Florimond? L'Epi Dupin? Spoon?

There is a book called Bistros of Paris by Barbara Hamberger that is excellent!

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:31 PM
tpl
Original Poster

Hi richardab,

We haven't really planned our Paris meals, so any other suggestions are welcomed. We obviously like French food,(especially country French), plus most ethnic food, including Moroccan and Chinese, which is usually great in Paris. I'll take a look at the Hamberger book as well.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 07:29 PM

Le Fountaine de Mars, Florimond and Au Bon Accueil are all near the Eiffel Tower and are not to be missed. You will enjoy them. Email your hotel and have them make a reservation for you. Au Bon Acceil has a great price fix lunch for around 25 euro (two years ago). Very nice and highly recommended place. But if you only make one reservation make it at La Fountain de Mars, its is such a friendly place and the food is fine! I posted some pics of my last trip there, see my Yahoo sight --

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:01 PM

P.S. I also add albums to my photos from Paris restaurants Florimond, Ma Bourgogne (at the Place Vosges) and La Fountaine de Mars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO