Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Suggestions for Ephesus, Turkey (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/suggestions-for-ephesus-turkey-738225/)

windycity847 Sep 22nd, 2007 04:21 PM

Suggestions for Ephesus, Turkey

Is that well known archeological site, don't recall name, the best place to go? I've been to what seem like similar sites in other countries so not sure if this is worth the time and money. Besides, on a budget so not interested in just doing the tourist thing. All suggestions welcome but must be by Monday, the 24th am. Thhanks.

sshephard Sep 22nd, 2007 05:50 PM

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Is Ephesus worth making a stop for? For me, absolutely. I am a student and teacher of Greek and Roman history so you probably won't be surprised that seeing one of the best preserved Greek cities and theaters in the Mediterranean world was exciting.

What does "doing the tourist thing" mean? If that means seeing archaeological sites and learning more about the history of an area, then you shouldn't see Ephesus. I'm sure that many would see Ephesus as just another remnant of some forgotten people.

If your cruise boat is stopping there and you have a choice of staying on the boat, shopping in the port city or seeing Ephesus, I would say that you should see Ephesus - it is not your average archaeological site.

molker Sep 22nd, 2007 10:34 PM

if you are any where near to Ephesus, I would recommend a visit.It is worth time and money.
I visited there again just last week and agree with the above poster.
It is not what I would call a " Tourist Thing"
The tourist thing is walking the shopping streets in Kusadasi in my opinion.

Entrance fee is 10 Turkish Lira- ( 6 euro or 7+ USD) certainly a bargain for the opportunity to see this city.
Now also open are the Terrace Houses an additional 10 lira entrance fee but worth it.
These houses offer an insight to residential life of the " well to Do"

Rooms in the homes can be viewed via a good system of walkways - frescos, mosaics- marble walls- certainly interesting.

The theatre is now under restoration and a portion of the Marble Street is closed due to this but this does not really change the impression of this city.

windycity847 Sep 23rd, 2007 05:26 AM

Thanks for all feedback. I appreciate it.

brennynp Sep 23rd, 2007 06:01 AM

Ephesus is definately worth it. One of the best preserved ancient cities. We toured the site as a day trip from Samos Greece, which we arranged the day before in Pythagoria - it was not expensive at all.

Weadles Sep 23rd, 2007 06:18 AM

Visiting Ephesus was one of the highlights of our 2-week trip to Turkey. I could have done w/out a visit to the Virgin Mary's house which almost seemed tacky thanks to the well-placed donation cans at the entrance and the piped-in music, but the trading city itself is fascinating.

Grcxx3 Sep 23rd, 2007 06:31 AM

I've been to Ephesus twice and love it both times. Got chills walking down the main boulevard toward the library!!!

windycity847 Oct 19th, 2007 07:11 AM

Thanks for the encouragement to go there. In fact, tour included Melitus and Didyma. Just absolutely amazing! Got great pictures and a book of photos of Ephisus since I realized that my photos could not do it justice. Thanks again.

propertravel Oct 20th, 2007 01:56 AM

I am happy to hear you are convinced ;-) that a visit to Ephesus is worth.... One of the longest digged archaeological sites I know. I do also get chilled to walk down to marble street each time as Grcxx3 mentioned.
I suggest you to visit Selcuk-Ephesus museum before you visit the actual site as most findings are exhibited there and you are able to make connection of items for better imagination. Didyma and Miletus are also great sites. The columns of Didyma are absuletly fascinating.

Happy travelling,

Murat

turkeyexpert Oct 20th, 2007 03:10 AM

windcity847,
check out this link for some nice quality videos and pics of the site..
http://www.kusadasi.biz/ephesus/

JoanneH Oct 20th, 2007 11:15 AM

How you can ask? <G> it is totally worth it. However it is very crowded in the morning when most of the tour bus's go a friend tipped me to going in early afternoon and it was empty. I counted just 16 people there and so much more enjoyable without crowds

windycity847 Oct 20th, 2007 03:42 PM

Hey, I'm back from my travels already and convinced. Just amazing! However, I must say that after an hour tour of Didyma, Melitus and Ephisus, my touring days were over. So much information. The guide was great. Definitely left an impression and not taking any more tours during travels to other ports was fine. Thanks again to everyone here at the forum. Happy travels!