Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > SUGGESTIONS FOR CAR DAY TRIPS OUT OF INNSBRUCK

SUGGESTIONS FOR CAR DAY TRIPS OUT OF INNSBRUCK

Feb 2nd, 1999, 08:41 PM
Jim

SUGGESTIONS FOR CAR DAY TRIPS OUT OF INNSBRUCK

Will be traveling by car and would appreciate suggestions for day trips using Innsbruck as a base; scenic routes, interesting villages, etc. Have travel books, but looking for first hand knowledge. Thanks for your help. Jim

Feb 3rd, 1999, 01:50 AM
BT

We were in Austria for a month this May. Here is something I wrote to friends about a day trip we took near Innsbruck that you might be interested in:

"We headed directly out of Innbruck and drove to a very beautiful natural spot that I had read about in one of Rick Steve's books. This was a town called Gnadenwald, which is in the Alps near Hall in Tirol. There, there is a toll road that leads up a long mountain road full of steep switchbacks to a rustic restaurant and hang-gliding area. For a while we watched the hang-gliders and parachutists take off from the mountaintop. It was quite beautiful to be high up on this mountain watching these colorful parachutists leap off the mountain and glide gently through the air above us with the snowcapped Alps behind them. We then took a half-hour stroll on a wide path to a more rustic farmhouse restaurant. The sky was robin's egg blue and filled with white puffy clouds, and the meadows where filled with yellow wildflowers. All around us were higher Alps covered with snow. When we got to the restaurant, we found rough plank tables set up outside with a magnificent view all around. {my husband} went in and ordered some local beer and typical rural Austrian fare for us. He came out telling me that their rural Austrian accents and slang were a bit hard for him to decipher. (my husband is fluent in German, but it's the High German that is used in Northern Germany). We enjoyed our sausages and beer as we watched other hikers come and go. It was a bit startling to see several nuns in full long habits and head coverings strolling up the mountain paths."

Feb 3rd, 1999, 05:18 AM
Lee

Jim: If you travel NW into Germany, you'll find Garmisch-Partenkirchen by taking route(s) A177 and E533, which is only 70Km or so. It is a lovely town nestled in the Alps at the foot of the Zugspitze and other mountains.

Also close by, you will find the town of Ettal, with it's beautiful basilica which warrants a tour of the inside. A short drive takes you to Linderhof Castle which is a smallish palace that is very beautiful inside and out. Another short drive and you are at Oberammergau with the many buildings and homes all covered with murals and is home to the famous Passion Play which is held by the townspeople every ten years.

This would be a great day trip. If still in an exploring mood, you can get to the Weiskirche and to the west, Neuschwanstein Castle and Hohenschwangau, which are not far and the drive is quite pretty, along the "Romantic Road".

Good luck and have fun!

Feb 3rd, 1999, 05:46 AM
Maira

Jim---- the advice you have gotten so far is excellent advice and I could only add that even a day-trip to Munich is doable. I would plan an overnight stay at Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Ettal and then proceed to Munich from there.

Feb 3rd, 1999, 07:21 AM
Emily Connolly

In addition to the above ideas, a day trip to Munich on the train from Insbruck is very easy and enjoyable because you don't have to worry about driving. The town of Seefeld is picturesque and there is great skiing or hiking ( depending on the season) nearby. One of the summits near Seefeld has a small museum dedicated to Oetzi, the man from 4000BC whose remains were discovered several years ago. If you are interested I will look up this summit.

Feb 3rd, 1999, 01:23 PM
Jim

Emily, we would very much like to know more about the museum you mentioned; if you can find the information with out too much trouble, that is. Thank you for offering....Jim

Feb 5th, 1999, 07:52 AM
Emily Connolly

OK Jim, I'm looking. It might take me awhile but I'll find it and post it!!

Feb 5th, 1999, 07:57 PM
dorothy

Be sure to see some in Innsbruck. We found the Olympic Ski Jump stadium wonderful. On the way up also a bell museum. You will hear church bells all over Austria and this is where they are made. It was most interesting.

Feb 6th, 1999, 02:00 PM
Emily Connolly

The Oetzi museum is located at the top of the mountain called Gschwandtkopf. This area is right outside of Seefeld, so you would need your car. The chair lift takes you to the summit and the museum is on the second floor of the ski - hutte at the summit. This is not the museum that houses the actual body ( that's in Bolzano), however there is a nice assortment of reproduced artifacts that tells the story of Oetzi very well. If you are interested, there is a book, called the Man in The Ice, by Konrad Spindler, available at Amazon.com. If you would like other info about this area or the area around Berchtesgaden/Salzburg, email us directly. Hope you find this helpful!!

Feb 6th, 1999, 09:08 PM
Jim

Emily, thanks for looking up the information regarding the "Man in the Ice" I have read about him before, but it has been quite awile back, so I will look for the book in the library and refresh my memory. I thought it sounded facinating at the time; never thought I would be going to the area. Had forgetten all about him. Thanks, again. Jim

Feb 27th, 1999, 04:40 PM
Bert Bostrom

Don't forget Mittenwald, Germany, just
a few miles north. It is a picture
perfect Bavarian town. We are going to
to take the train round trip from Innsbruck to Salzburg ($78 per person RT) and only 90 minutes away. The tours
there include Sound of Music and Hitler's Eagles Nest in Berchtesgaden.
Not too long a drive to Salzburg either.

Search this Thread