Suggestions for Appenzell and Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are leaving 12/31 for Munich and Switzerland. While he is working I will be on my own in Herisau/St. Gallen Switzerland (and I don't speak German!) Any suggestions on how to spend my days?

Also, will be going to Munich on 1/06 for 4 days. We plan to see the city and also travel the Romantic Road to Neuschwanstein. Any suggestions for this portion. Thanks!!!
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:32 AM

I suggest you try visiting the famous library (limited opening hours) and the abbey church in St. Gallen.

You could also take the short ride on the Appenzeller Bahn railway from St. Gallen to Appenzell for a look around.

No German required.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at this website for museums in the area. I went to the Urnasch traditional customs museum and thought it was very good.

Appenzell is so beautiful with its rolling hills and wooden houses with tiny windows.

Hopefully you'll also be able to catch the Silvesterklaüse which is usually on Dec. 31. Unfortunately, because the 31st is on a Sunday, I've heard that it has been changed to Dec. 30. I'm not sure about that rumour though and suggest writing an email to the Appenzell tourism about definite dates. It's a beautiful custom that should be seen if you're in the area.

See: http://www.appenzell.ch/e_neu/kultur...terklausen.php
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. How long is the train from Herisau to Appenzell? I know St. Gallen is quite close and I figured that is where I would spend most of my time. I'm not a really independent traveler, so doing all this on my own while my husband is working is quite the stretch!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
33 minutes. Use sbb.ch and push the en button for English. You'll get all your train timetables with gleis (platform) numbers. It's VERY reliable.

Travelling by train is really easy. Lots of people speak English in Switzerland and will be happy to help you if you need it.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 07:16 AM

If you do this here's a tip: when you get to St. Gallen, the RR station for the route to Appenzell is across the street and to the right as you exit the main station.

The ride up to Appenzell is quite pleasant and as you approach the village it is more scenic.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know if restaurants will be open in St. Gallen on New Year's Day? We encountered quite a few hotels being closed for the holidays while trying to make our reservation for that night. Thanks!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:21 PM

We were in Appenzell last year and it was just lovely. Unfortunately I can't give you any tips of what to do because we were unaware of the public holiday that fell during our visit so most things were closed. But its a beautiful little town filled with interesting shops (or at least from what I could tell windowshopping!) and restaurants. I would love to go back and spend more time.

Tracy
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 11:29 PM

Every hour at 6 before (09:54, 10:54 etc) there is a direct train Herisau-Appenzell, takes 33 minutes. Every hour at 9 after (9:09, 10:09 etc) there is one that takes 1:12 hr and requires a transfer in St. Gallen - a place you must absolutely explore, full of history and such, and famous for embroideries and such lovely feminine things of which I have zero knowledege.

Also go up on the Säntis - a splendid day excursion: http://www.saentisbahn.ch/pages/d/in...lish.php?rub=5 (click on English and download a pdf). Bring your sunglasses, sunscreen, and cold-wind protection and good shoes.

Another day, go to Winterthur (49 minutes by train, one transfer in Gossau) to see the famous art collection www.museumoskarreinhart.ch (be sure to check the opening hours).

There is always something worthwhile to see in Zürich (1:15 or 1:25 by train, one transfer, in Rapperswil or in Gossau) - check www.zuerich.com and click through to the museums etc.

Trains at www.rail.ch - get a good map, meanwhile look at www.viamichelin.com or at www.mappy.com.