Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Suggestions for a Month in Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/suggestions-for-a-month-in-netherlands-belgium-and-luxembourg-1713034/)

Lexma90 Feb 18th, 2023 11:12 AM

Suggestions for a Month in Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg

We've started our semi-retirement years, and are starting to plan a possible one-month trip to these three countries in September-October. I would appreciate any suggestions on the amount of time to spend in places, so that we have bases of about five nights in each location (shorter stays are ok if they make sense). I've already collected notes from other posts here on Fodors, but am at the beginning stages of research.

We've been to the Netherlands (only Amsterdam) and Belgium (Brussels and Bruges) and loved both places, that's why we want to return (and a short time in Luxembourg because I haven't been there). We very much enjoy art museums and learning about the history of where we're staying. We love good local cuisine. Probably also some walking or hiking. We'll do day trips, but car or train, depending on the location. So far I have a too-long list of Amsterdam (again), Haarlem, the Hague, Delft, Ghent, Chimay, Dinant. We liked Brussels but could skip it this trip, I think we could stay in Ghent and day-trip from there?

Thanks!

lavandula Feb 18th, 2023 12:42 PM

Hi Lexma90, what a rare luxury it is to have a lot of time in those countries! Like a kid in a lolly shop, I don't know where I'd go first. Maybe I would see the Netherlands first, but the off-the-beaten-path parts first, just because ... and can I also make a plea for somewhere in the north, maybe Leeuwarden (Friesland) or Groningen? You could also streamline it a bit by seeing Amsterdam from Haarlem (although Amsterdam is a bit special, if you want to stay there I get it).

Ghent as a base is OK, although then you have to decide whether you stay near the station (easy access) or in the town (dinner options). The station is about 25 minutes walk from the station. To do Dinant you will have to go back and change at Bruxelles-Midi, which is the rail hub. As an alternative you might consider Leuven, which is pretty central also (small, attractive city). From Leuven you won't have to backtrack to Brussels to get to Dinant or Chimay.

In Luxembourg: I just got back from a whirlwind trip to Brussels and Luxembourg. Our friends who live just outside of Luxembourg took my daughter and me around the town, and we went to a place called the Chocolate House Bonn (so called because Bonn is the surname of the owner), just across from the Ducal Palace. It is a fabulous café with cake after amazing cake, and hot chocolate made with wooden spoons set with a block of chocolate on the end, which you stir into hot milk. I highly recommend it. I have been to Luxembourg before but did not know that if you go down into the valley (which I recommend), there are LIFTS which take you back up to the top!!! (OK, I get excited by small things but the walk up is so daunting that this is a big plus!)

Looking forward to your response,

Lavandula

Tulips Feb 18th, 2023 11:02 PM

In Belgium consider staying in Antwerp for a few days, maybe visit smaller towns like Lier and Mechelen from there.
There was a nice article in The Guardian on Antwerp recently (free); https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...d-great-coffee
The arts museum MSKA has just reopened after a long renovation and is well worth a visit.
In The Netherlands you are planning to stick close to Amsterdam? Have a look at the road along the Vecht river, with lovely small towns such as Loenen. Go cycling if the weather is good. And check out Kasteel De Haar.
Maybe include a visit to Rotterdam.

Lexma90 Feb 19th, 2023 07:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm looking at Leeuwarden ,Groningen, Lier, Mechelen. And I hadn't look enough at Ghent to see that it might not be a great train hub, so thanks for the heads' up.

In the Netherlands, we don't need to specifically stay near Amsterdam, except that it looks like there are many nearby places to visit that we can easily get to by train.

I would love to do some cycling; my spouse doesn't do that, but I do. So if the weather is good, I would love to rent a bike.

I'm a big fan of Bosch, so I may "need" to visit the
Jheronimus Bosch Art Center (yes I know there are no original Bosch's there).

lavandula Feb 19th, 2023 11:24 AM

You can do Lier, Mechelen, Leuven (Antwerp) from a single hub as they are all close - Lier for instance is on a line between Antwerp and Leuven, Mechelen is a stop between Leuven and Antwerp or Leuven and Brussels. LIer in particular is pretty, but it is small.

Lavandula

VANAARLE Feb 19th, 2023 12:32 PM

Ypres not only the old town but because of WW1. The city was flattened during WW1.
Château de Walzin in Dinant well all of the region around Dinart.
Celles is very pretty.
The Dutch city of Utrecht will not disappoint.
The hunebedden in Drenthe are the remains of ancient burial chambers.Spend a day exploring the area.
I assume you will be driving.

menachem Feb 20th, 2023 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lexma90 (Post 17439402)
We've started our semi-retirement years, and are starting to plan a possible one-month trip to these three countries in September-October. I would appreciate any suggestions on the amount of time to spend in places, so that we have bases of about five nights in each location (shorter stays are ok if they make sense). I've already collected notes from other posts here on Fodors, but am at the beginning stages of research.

We've been to the Netherlands (only Amsterdam) and Belgium (Brussels and Bruges) and loved both places, that's why we want to return (and a short time in Luxembourg because I haven't been there). We very much enjoy art museums and learning about the history of where we're staying. We love good local cuisine. Probably also some walking or hiking. We'll do day trips, but car or train, depending on the location. So far I have a too-long list of Amsterdam (again), Haarlem, the Hague, Delft, Ghent, Chimay, Dinant. We liked Brussels but could skip it this trip, I think we could stay in Ghent and day-trip from there?

Thanks!

Consider going south. Maastricht as a Dutch destination gives you nearby Aachen, but also Liege and access to the Hautes Fagne or the Meuse valley in Belgium. Especially if you want to visit Chimay and Dinant. Luxemburg is less of a shlepp too, this way.