Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Suggestions for a hotel in Lisbon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/suggestions-for-a-hotel-in-lisbon-1195369/)

tdk320n Jan 29th, 2017 06:27 PM

Suggestions for a hotel in Lisbon

Hello to all my fellow Fodorites
I am planning on visiting Lisbon this Spring and would like advice and suggestions for a moderate price hotel.
I am a fairly active 87 year old female traveling alone , which is the way I normally travel to Europe. This will be my first trip to Lisbon and I probably will be there 4-6 days before going to Paris for my annual 2 week stay.
I would like a central location that I would feel safe in and that would be a good base for walking and sightseeing. I like a hotel that offers breakfast so I can start my day with coffee without searching for a nearby restaurant or cafe.
The following 3 hotels are some that might do for me based on some research that I have done.
I would appreciate your thoughts on these and any other suggestions as to hotels , restaurants and perhaps day trips that might be enjoyable. I always rely on public transportation while traveling.

Hotel Averida Palace
TURIM Terreiro do Paco Hotel
LX Boutique Hotel

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cali Jan 29th, 2017 10:43 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Avenida Palace and we liked it very much. The location is good and the hotel has a wonderful breakfast every morning. Also, the hotel staff is great.

Peter_Star Jan 30th, 2017 02:04 AM

I agree with Cali, Avenida Palace is the best option and has the best location, check their website, I hear the give special benefits for book directly.

TPAYT Jan 30th, 2017 04:00 AM

Bookmarking

ssander Jan 30th, 2017 04:33 AM

Close to Hotel Avenida Palace (but on Praca Dom Pedro IV) is My Story Rossio:

http://www.mystoryhotels.com/mystory...y-hotel-rossio

We stayed there this past October and can highly recommend it. We had a front room overlooking the praca, and the view was great. (To be fair, we did not reserve that room but were given a complementary upgrade...guess the hotel was not crowded.)

Excellent breakfast (10E). Excellent location (and the Aerobus stops about 100 feet from the door).

ssander

ssander Jan 30th, 2017 05:14 AM

Just saw that you use public transport a lot...so do we wherever we go in Europe. Many trams and buses stop at both Praça Dom Pedro IV and Praça da Figuiera, two blocks away.

In addition, the Rossio train station is a block away...where you catch the train to Sintra...an amazing day-trip town with three top-rated sights: Moorish Castle, Pena Palace, and National Palace, all accessible with one bus ticket (a circular route that stops at all three) you catch at the Sintra train station.

NOTE: The Lisboa Card gives free public transport, free train to Sintra and discount on the Aerobus. (...as well as a host of other free admissions and discounted admissions).

ssander

tdk320n Sep 3rd, 2017 11:57 AM

I just came across this old inquiry of mine and just want to say I decided on the Avenida Palace.
I could not have made a better choice. I absolutely loved everything about the hotel
Location was fabulous, the staff was great , breakfasts that were included were lovely.
My room was so comfortable . All in all a fabulous experience.

TPAYT Oct 15th, 2017 04:52 AM

Just returned recently. Avenida Palace was our first choice, but full.
We stayed just across Rossio Square from A. Palace at

Internacional Design Hotel.....it’s a very modern hotel, completely opposite from the old world look of the Avenida. The breakfast had everything we wanted in a comfortable space. Our room had a beautiful view over the Square.

Both are on Rossio Square which is very convenient to many sites and more restaurants than you could ever try in a weeks time. We walked to many sites from there and they will get you a cab in minutes for elsewhere.

A. Palace has a huge, very old world looking lobby, IDH has no lobby to speak of, just a front desk that is very efficient for anything you might need.

I might suggest Insidelisbon.com. For small van tours, no more than 10. We had an excellent tour to Sintra, Boca da Roca, and Cascais.