Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Suggestions for a car rental in Rome (but not in the city)

Suggestions for a car rental in Rome (but not in the city)

Aug 4th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Suggestions for a car rental in Rome (but not in the city)

I have heard horror stories regarding the traffic about renting a car in downtown Rome. Can anyone suggest another area outside of Rome (easy access by bus or train from downtown Rome). I plan on driving north to Sienna or Florence and would want to return the car to the Rome airport after a week.

Thanks for any help.
Aug 5th, 2003, 12:48 AM

Airport.
Aug 5th, 2003, 01:29 AM

It is very easy to rent a car at the Rome airport. One small problem is that airport car rental in Italy adds about 20% on to the cost. This may not concern you.
What we have done twice, is take the train to the Termini, and on to Florence to pick up the car downtown.
It was not difficult driving out of Florence and most of the car rental agencies are located near the Florence train station.
You do not say if you will be spending any time in Rome before of after the trip.
You could do this. Arrive in Rome, and spend time there or not. Take a train to Florence and pick up a car since your destination is Tuscany.
The drive from Tuscany back to Rome is very easy and you could return the car to the airport. Fly home. Or you could leave Tuscany and drop the car off in lets say Orvieto, train to Rome, spend some time and then fly home. So you don't have to drive into Rome on your return.
Hope this helps.
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:46 AM

A good option en route would be CHIUSI.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Aug 5th, 2003, 04:03 AM

Good suggestions.
Unless you have targets just outside Rome, it's a great idea to shorten your travel time by train.
Aug 5th, 2003, 07:23 AM

The horror stories are all true but much depends on your own skill and experience as a driver and your personality. I happen to be a New Yorker who drives in the city and I rent a car in almost every European city I visit. For Rome, I rent from Auto Europe (prepay in U.S.) and they have a location on Via Lombardia, just south of Porta Pinciana, which is one of Rome's northern city-center exits and leads to the highway going to Sienna. If you are a decent navigator, this is a fairly easy way out of Rome going north. I do it all the time. I always have too much luggage to deal with trains and I don't like depending on schedules when I travel. Yet, Italy's Eurostar is a great train.

Remember to park just outside Sienna's walls, at the top of the hill, because there's no parking in the city center. I can't remember the Porta entrance name but I always find free, legal parking on the road just before you enter the Porta closest to Sienna's famous Campo. It's a short, pleasant walk away.

Florence is another nightmare but the drive from Sienna to Florence is beautiful.

Yes, getting in and out of Italy's bigger cities and hill towns by car requires large balls. If you accomplish your goals, you'll feel very proud. Maybe you'll share one of your horror stories here. I say go for it!

Search this Thread