Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a business gift for a chic Parisian woman, please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be in Paris on business visiting a client who is a very chic (in the fashion biz) Parisian woman. She will be taking me to lunch that day as well. Any recommendations for a gift to bring to her office? Since she is in the "already has everything" category, this is really something that would be a gesture, but I'd like it to be special as well. She is about 45.

The things I've done in the past for business gifts seem inappropriate for this case (wine or chocolate through Red Envelope.com, flowers).

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:52 AM

I think this is a question for NYCFoodSnob and/or m_kingdom2.
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:23 AM

I don't think flowers can ever be inappropriate, but you don't say what you wish to spend.
A gift card from one of the large department stores (Printemps, Galeries Lafayette)? A silk scarf? Hermes or one of the designer boutiques (Dior, Chanel, etc) would be nice if that's in your budget , otherwise a scarf from one of the dept stores so she could exchange it
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Of course I'm qualified to answer this question but I can't believe Budman would put me in the same sentence as Bandy. (Have I mentioned how handsome you look in a sport coat, Budman?)

I adore tasteful crystal and I have a thing for vases, bowls, and candle holders. For special people in business, I turn to Tiffany & Co.

Here are a few things I like:

Dessert Plate ($50): http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item...ory=Table&

Panel Vase ($195): http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item...ory=Table&

Daisy Bowl ($75): http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item...ory=Table&

Daisy Vase ($120): http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item...ory=Table&

Heart Bowl ($100): http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item...ory=Table&

Spiral Bowl ($120): http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item...ory=Table&

Spiral Vase ($150): http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item...ory=Table&

Rock Cut Votive ($40): http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item...ory=Table&

Classic Square Decanter ($105): http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item...ory=Table&

Floral Vine Bowl ($275): http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item...ory=Table&
(Might be inappropriate to spend this much.)

I also don't hesitate to bring a great California Cabernet. You must be sure of the wine's greatness, otherwise, the joy factor might not work. Hope this helps.
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions. NYCFoodSnob, thanks for sending me to Tiffany's. That's the ticket, and I'll choose something there. I like the fact that it's an American product. I had thought about the Calif. Cabernet idea, but I'm going for the all carry-on luggage route and need the space!

Off to the mall....

LisaG
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM

You're welcome, LisaG. I love to shop for gifts and I do it all the time. Giving generously (and tastefully) has its rewards.

I would never give a foreigner a gift from his/her own country. I'm American and a proud one and I think we have some lovely, lovely things to offer as gifts. Happy shopping!
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:20 PM

It's a tricky one because any item of clothing is far too personal, and not at all suitable as a business gift.

A gift voucher is a pretty awful present, you may as well hand her a cheque.

If she smokes then I'd buy a Cartier lighter which I'm sure she already has, and have it engraved with your company name, and yours of you feel you wish to be that personal. Even if she doesn't smoke I'm sure she'd appreciate the lighter.

Otherwise, some desk accessory from Asprey will go down well...following on from the lighter theme, an engraved pen or paper knife.

Remember, it's only a client, and the present merely represents a token of your appreciation of your professional relationship. The thought will be there, and it's not a gift to a loved one.

Oh, and wine will always go down well depending on how much you wish to spend, but again i'd say it's too personal.

How much do you actually have to spend (roughly)?
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:29 PM

I have a crystal ice bucket with a sterling silver handle. It's 5 1/4 inch diameter and 5 1/2 inch tall plus handle, perfect for caviar. I no longer have the Tiffany box but I invite an offer.
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM

It's turning into ebay!
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:44 PM

NYCFoodSnob,
A guy/gal after my own taste. I just helped one of my friends register at Tiffany's for her upcoming wedding and we decided on the daisy collection.

Lisa, the clerks at Tiffany & Co. are extremely knowledgeable about gifts and what is/isn't appropriate, etc. They will be happy to help you select the perfect gift and answer any questions of etiquette, I am sure.
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:00 PM

m_kingdom2, I just thought it appropriate to add another dimension to this omnibus site.

We have recipe exchange to enhance epicurious.com, wine mavens to supplant Wine Spectator, etiquette mavens as proxy for Miss Manners, arbiter elegantiae so we don't have to read Vogue or GQ and, just today, numerous experts providing financial advice to a CPA.

Old May 17th, 2005, 01:32 PM

I like your style FS. Admirable and appreciated.

I have also found that a man can never go wrong with gifting a lady with choice flowers and a silk ribbon.
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Tiffany has some lovely jewelry--any Frenchwoman I know would be delighted to have one of their pieces.
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:57 PM

How well do you know this client? I wouldn't get here anything too personal (like jewelry). The ideas from NYCFS sound good--one additional idea is Tiffany's sterling silver business card case at $195. It's very attractive and you could have it engraved with her initials or leave it plain. It's the kind of thing she could use everyday (in a business capacity)--an elegant way for her to hand out business cards (I'm assuming you have one of hers to make sure it fits) and she'll think of you every time she uses it.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:33 PM

If it is going to be Tiffany's make sure it is packed to travel with the box and wrappings. Half the excitement is that it is from Tiffanys and the wrappings are part of that.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:39 PM

How about a scarf pin to go with all those scarves she no doubt has?
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hermés has simple lovely things to pin your scarf. Not pins but how to describe? I'll check it out
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Another thought is a beautiful sterling silver letter opener. Not to personal but would certainly be used, even if she already has one. Easy to tuck into your carryon etc.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
not on line, but they are like a lucite buckle you slide the scarf through. but being French, I think something American as well, and hard to find anything. Tiffany's jewelry(too personal) is designed by alot of French artisans as is their china, etc.
Maybe find a small American antique(only if you know her taste)
A woman who has everything has her own tastes so it is difficult to guess. Good luck aand keep us posted.
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:28 AM

If you don't want to look as though you have a serious lack of imagination, DO NOT purchase a sterling silver letter opener. I've got about ten (all tarnished in a drawer), and if I see one more, the person doing the giving will surely get stabbed. Plus, anything silver requires polishing, which means your gift will require work and attention. Be sure the recipient will appreciate that (especially if she already has ten).

NEVER buy any fashiony item unless you have a personal relationship and you know there is a specific item desired. And make sure you get that specific item; no substitutes, otherwise your action could be perilous.

As much as I love flowers and flower arranging, I prefer to receive an artful arrangement already in a lovely vase. Flower arranging takes time and lumping fresh flowers into a vase just to keep them alive is too depressing. Often, I'm too busy to give them the care and attention they deserve when they arrive unexpectedly.

I travel with many celebrities and, almost always, the corporate sponsor or senior VIP will send flowers to their hotel room with a card. Champagne is often part of this gift, too. Typically, the arrangements come from 4-star florists and are quite elaborate and the champagne is top shelf. When creativity fails you, who doesn't appreciate flowers and a little bubbly in their home or hotel room?

ps To all the posters who made lovely comments about my posts, thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -