COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for 5 days in between London and Stockholm

Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a (belated) honeymoon, and we have 2 weeks. What's certain is starting in London, and ending in Stockholm.

We still have about 5 days in between the two destinations, and we're trying to decide how to plan our route. We've considered heading north, and spending some time in Scotland, possibly Edinburgh. But...taking a northerly route, somewhere Belgium, Netherlands or Germany also sounds appealing. I spent a month in the Netherlands as a grad student, so that would be a repeat for me (but might be fun nostalgia), but places I've never been at all are definitely attractive, too. I think we're experiencing possibility overwhelm.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on what might make the most sense logistically?
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 07:34 PM

Are you planning on taking trains or will you rent a car? or possibly fly between stops? Copenhagen seems like a logical place between the two. Or possibly a ferry to Oslo and/or Copenhagen. There are so many possibilities. Germany of course but then you can't do them all, can you? Belgium is the least exciting of the ideas to me. It's too nebulous for me without more ideas of where you would most like to visit. I'm back to how you plan to travel. Whatever, you can't go wrong with all those great choices.
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 07:38 PM

No place makes more sense than any other place (anywhere in Europe really). Most any city is a short flight or train ride from London and a short flight to Stockholm.

My first question would be when - what time of year?? And what sorts of things do you want to see/do?
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 10:03 PM

If you are visiting in summer then spend the time in the Stockholm Archipelago. Rent a cottage and possibly a small boat. We've just done this and spent the most relaxing time ever.

We live in Scotland and visit London regularly.

This was our first visit to Sweden and in this experience we encountered no aggression between people but lots of warmth and friendly welcomes. Historically, Sweden has very close ties with Britain and the US, this seems to help your experience as the English is spoken is so accurate and widespread. It will probably be of a higher level than you experience at home but that isn't difficult in Scotland!
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 10:06 PM

An example

http://www.skargardsstugor.se/en/abo...elago/ljustero
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 11:26 PM

Amsterdam and Copenhagen are easy logistically.
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

We are going mid-October (so we're getting a little last-minute for some things), and were planning on doing trains or planes and public transit for most of our travel.

I think this moment, I'm leaning towards Copenhagen, but the archipelago also sounds great, too.

Most of our plans so far are mostly cultural related. (Museums and shows and the like. City stuff.) I'd like to make at least one nature-related stop, so maybe the Stockholm Archipelago could fit that bill. By October, is it getting to be too chilly at that point, though? And would 5 days be enough to do a bit of both?
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 05:12 AM

October is getting late in the year for the archipelago - don't forget that it will be getting quite chilly - esp out on the water. And boat trips may be shutting down for the season.

I would head to Copenhagen and then take the train to Stockholm.
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 05:37 AM

It's not too chilly by mid October and even if it does turn colder than normal it doesn't matter. Last October I was in Sweden and the trees were stunning colours. I've seen the archipelago in the snow, also beautiful if the sun is shining. If it is raining and cold, Scandinavia, esp Denmark is famous for cozy atmosphere indoors (hygge).
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Ok, now the husband has a crazy idea in his head to make the 4 days a non-stop train excursion. His idea: London to Amsterdam one morning, see Amsterdam in the afternoon and evening, sleep. Get on a train to Hamburg, see Hamburg in the afternoon and evening, sleep. Get on a train to Copenhagen, see Copenhagen in the afternoon and evening, sleep. Get on a train to Stockholm and spend 4 days in Stockholm.

Does this sound insane to you, or can you talk me into it? Or talk him out of it?
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 08:38 AM

>>Does this sound insane to you, >or can you talk me into it?> Or talk him out of it?your job
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

I thought so. Just the simple affirmation that it is insane is enough to keep me pushing for another option.
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 09:34 AM

I think your plan to stop and see Copenhagen makes much more sense
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 09:44 AM

Oh my that doesn't sound like fun at all!!

We loved Copenhagen, great good, lovely city and very friendly people. We also did a day trip to Roskilde and went to the excellent Viking museum there. Highly recommend it.

You can see our pics here https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...7634949441470/
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 10:46 AM

We did this in 1996 with our two daughters who were then 13 and 10. Destination was Finland and we had made the journey so often by plane that we decided to take the car.
The first day we drove after work from Anglesey to Hinkley where we made an overnight stop in a Travelodge.
The next day we drove to harwich and boarded the afternoon ferry to Hamburg. This was an overnight sailing and we had a wonderful meal in the ship's restaurant.
We docked in Hamburg the next afternoon and drove to Lubeck where we stayed overnight and saw the city.
The next day we entered "East" Germany with the intention of driving to Rugen and spending the afternoon on the beach before catching the last ferry to Bornholm. However we hit a mother and father of a traffic jam way outside Stralsund and were on stop for hours. Our hopes of the beach evaporated and we became afraid of even missing the ferry. We spoke to other people also stuck in this almighty queue and one local offered to show us a shortcut. He drove over the edge of the road and across fields and we made the ferry by the skin of our teeth. Some people from the queue had arrived before us and told the boat that there was a Britsh family trying to make it and as we drove on to the quay they were hanging off the upper deck cheering us on!
When we left Bornholm we drove to a campsite close to Oland and stayed in a chalet there that night.
The next day we reached Stockholm.
Years before this we travelled from Stockholm to Paris by train on Interrail.
We left Stockholm in the morning for Copenhagen. Sweden by train ( or at least crossing it in that direction) is fairly boring). When we arrived in Copenhagen for the night train to Paris it was clear that we not only was the train going to be crowded but it was likely that we would have to stand all the way. The beauty of Interrail was that you could catch whatever train you wanted to and so after a little bit of lateral thinking we realised that we could travel overnight to Amsterdam and after changing trains there continued on to Paris - arriving not much later than if we'd gone direct.
Overnight train travel is for the committed (or for students which is what we were then.
I have deliberately confined my recollections to the travel as there will be plenty of people to help you with the destinations.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 04:51 PM

At first glance, I can see doing your husband's trip. (doesn't sound like a Honeymoon, though). But then when I think of only 1 afternoon in AMS, I think I would be frustrated and feel cheated! So I guess not for his 'sleeping on the train' everynight! I also don't understand Hamburg. It wouldn't attract me. But I think you spend one night on the train - between CPH and AMS and that might maximize your on the ground time in the cities. And if possible, do an overnight train from CPH to Stockholm. As said previously, Sweden by train is boring (after the 1st 10 minutes) so overnight train or short flight would work. If you leave out Hamburg, you get 2days in AMS and 2 in CPH (amd one toss up day) and that is a better deal, to me.

That is not to say that Amsterdam and Copenhagen don't deserve more time, but you can get a taste and plan to come back. Or you can spend all that time (5 days in one or the other city) and experience it more completely.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 11:58 PM

I don't find Sweden boring by train, but each to their own. Sweden is all about nature, forests and lakes. Alot of those forests will turn golden by autumn. I would have thought crossing the Øresund Bridge into Denmark might be interesting to some. For long journeys, it is always advisable to book a seat on the train in Sweden, otherwise you may find it hard to find a seat or you can find yourself sitting in someone else's seat and be asked to move.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 07:41 AM

>

Thinking your hubby has no concept of what he's asking about or else he has a really large insurance policy on you and he's trying to cash in.

You do realize that Scandinavia is hideously expensive, right? Even in comparison to London (which can be done with a relatively tight budget). Just be prepared to drop $75 on two simple "low-price" entrees and soft drinks at Chili's in Stockholm.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 12:49 PM

"You do realize that Scandinavia is hideously expensive, right? "

No it isn't and my comment is based on experince from 2 days ago.

Supermarket shopping is definitely cheaper in Sweden than in the UK/US and the general quality on offer is far better than in he UK/US.

Eating out : wine is expensive by the bottle, probably double that which you wold expect to pay at home.

However, there is no tipping so I found prices to be only slightly higher than we would usually pay. Clothes prices were again vertically identical to the UK.

All in all, we were shocked by how affordable Sweden appeared to be.

Norway is outside the EU and a different ball game.