Suggestions for 5-6 days in Greece

Jan 4th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Suggestions for 5-6 days in Greece

I'm attending a wedding in Athens this June. So will definitely be spending 3 days there. Obviously, if I'm making the trip to Greece I'm going to go elsewhere after the wedding (timing is better for me to travel after the time in Athens). I only have about 5-6 more days. WHERE should I go? Should I spend 5-6 days in one place like Crete (and if so, which town?) Or split the time between two smaller islands like Santorini and Naxos? Ideas and suggestions welcome.
Jan 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Either would be fine. What are you looking for on the islands? Scenery? Beaches? Nightlife? antiquities? Local culture? All of the above? ;-)
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

I should have mentioned my interests, oops... I am interested in beaches, hiking and history. What's best for that? probably all of Greece, lol.
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Beaches, hiking, and history...Santorini and Naxos would give you all of those things, but then so would Crete. Flip a coin? Would anyone else like to weigh in?
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM

I would stick to one place. As you mention hiking, I would suggest Crete. I would suggest western Crete, possibly Chania which is a beautiful town. Rethymnon would also be a good choice.
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:27 PM

Hi Candy--

With such a short time in Greece, I would fly to Santorini after the wedding in Athens (if you don't, trust me, you'll always regret it!!) Stay in Fira for activity/night life or Oia for more romance and a more Greek experience. Remember, wherever you travel, in Greece, you want to be assured to arrive back to Athens at least a day ahead before your flight home. PS - The Greatest Regret of Travelers to Greece is that they wished they could stay longer in the place that they choosed to travel!!

Happy Travels, Sandy in Oregon

Search this Thread