Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for 4 free days (3 nights) in or outside of London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to London in early January and have decided to stay over and give myself a sufeit of Shakespeare before I fly home to San Francisco. If I get confirmation on all the ticket requests, I will see "Much Ado about Nothing" on January 6th, then make the pilgrimage to Stratford-upon-Avon January 11th to see "Merry Wives" and "Richard III" before returning to London for a night see "Antony & Cleopatra" before flying home.

So I have January 7-10 free. I have been to London on previous visits and I've seen the major sites there, but I've never been outside London. I know early January is not the best time to see the beauties of the counrysides: however, it's the time I have.

Possible plans:
#1: Stay in London, hang out in museums and art galleries, maybe go see "Wicked". It's the most simple and the safest.
#2: Hotel in London. Spend morning buying warmer clothes. Take boat. Go to Hampton Court. Stay over somewhere. See Winchester. Train to London, then Stratford.
#3: Warmer clothes (re: plan #2). Take train to Edinburgh. See sights. Drink Scotch . Train to London, then Stratford.
#4: Something entirely different . May involve warmer clothes (re: plan #2) No problem -it's an adventure!

Plan #1 I can easily compose.
Plans 2 and 3 : I 'm staying with the Elizabethan theme and could use some advice.
Plan #4: Who know's if I'll be here again?

I welcome any advice on plans 2, 3 and 4. Especially 4.

Looking forward to your replies,

jls

Edited because I'm in such a mood I can use a "surfeit" correctly but can't spell simple words!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:08 PM

Plan #2: stay at Great Fosters, in Egham, near Runnymede. It was at one time a Tudor hunting lodge; book one of the historic rooms.

Plan 4: go to Kent. Stay in Canterbury and visit the cathedral.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Southwark Cathedral, the Bishop of Winchester's Palace, the George Inn and The Globe Theatre and Exhibition, plus the original site of the Globe and Rose should give you an entertaining half day south of the Thames for part of your trip. All have links with Shakespeare.
I think with a 'pilgrimage' to Stratford you could satisfy the Elizabethan aspect of your visit but add Oxford in for sheer beauty and a convenient transport link from London. There is a vague Shakespeare link here via John Davenant and a pub adjacent to McDonald's, but just spend your time browsing around the Ashmolean and Pitt-Rivers Museums or visiting one or two coleges.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thank you Underhill and henneth!
I will spend some time looking into your suggestions. Both of you suggested places which give me a lovely history of Britain - in London south of the Thames (Thanks henneth!) and outside of London (Thanks Underhill!). Canterbury and
Runnymede-such history! Both sound wonderful.

I enjoy going to the UK because I can walk through four blocks of London (my only experience so far) and go through so many centuries of history. If Sir Francis Drake can sail round to where I live (although the exact landing spot is disputed) then I am thrilled to go to anywhere in England to see where he began.

If I get to travel during warmer weather, I hope to visit Scotland and Cornwall and Wales and Ireland, but that's another trip and another thread.

jls

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 10:59 PM

Outside of London?

Paris.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 03:22 AM

Bill_boy clearly knows NOTHING about the UK. You have 3 days, OP - then, for heavens's sake why not go North. Britain isn't England; England isn't just London. Seeing as you are obviously the cultural type I am surprised you twigged that there's culture in the sticks - music, opera, dance, oh and some pretty amazing buildings. I would take a train from Kings X up to York (or even better Durham). You'll need those warm clothes. But hey, get up there - go visit Durham Cathedral - sublime - rent a car - go visit Hadrian's Wall. Pig out at the great eateries. Walk Bamburgh beach in icy blue conditions You will have it all to yourself.

Paris is for softies.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 03:55 AM

Personally, I'd take the train to Belgium. But if I wanted to stay in the UK, I'd head north or to Wales. Or maybe Devon.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Clearly, fuzzylogic knows nothing about the better things in life, leisure and travel.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The OP obviously wants to visit someplace in the UK - so suggesting Paris and Brussels is sure helpful. Nevermind . . . .

Rhymeinreason: From the Drake reference it sounds like you might live in Marin - ??

Anyway - you can't go wrong w/ any of the suggestions (well most of them anyway). I wouldn't count on any boat trips in January though.

Given your interests my choices would be 1) London and Canterbury, 2) York and Durham (EASY connections w/ London by train), 3) Edinburgh. Edinburgh is just about my favorite city on Earth - but for this sort of trip I think London or York would be slightly better choices)
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Winchester is an easy day trip - an hour on the train with several trains per hour.

No Shakesperian connection, but Jane Bloody Austin is buried there, and there's a fabulous cathedral etc. Remember it was the original capital city, so what's there is top-quality

Audere - biased as it's my hometown.