Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for 1 day driving intinerary from Rothenburg to Baden-Baden?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 05:08 PM
stephen

Hi, as part of next May's trip we will be driving from Munich to Rothenburg and from there to Baden-Baden where we will base for the Schwartzwald. Any suggestions for the drive between the two would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Stephen

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 05:46 PM
wes fowler

Stephen,<BR>Here are a couple of itineraries for the Black Forest that I've provided travelers in the past which have been well received. If they're of interest, let me know and I can drum up a drive from Munich to Rothenburg and another from Rothenburg to Baden-Baden. May have some ideas on accommodations as well. <BR><BR>BLACK FOREST ITINERARIES:<BR>You could tour the southern part of the Black Forest area from Freiburg,<BR>a university town with a wonderful old town, magnificent cathedral and<BR>interesting pedestrian area leading to it and the Munsterplatz. From<BR>Freiburg drive east on Rte 31 to Hinterzarten then north on Rte 500 to<BR>Furtwangen, where one of the first tributaries of the Danube, the river<BR>Breg begins. Furtwangen has a museum, the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum, that<BR>exhibits more than a thousand clocks and watches and workshops where you<BR>can see how clocks are made by hand. This is a town in the heart of<BR>cuckoo clock country. Backtrack a short distance on Rte 500 and follow<BR>the signs to Gutenbach, Rte 294. You'll be traveling west through the<BR>Simonswald forest the Wilde Gutach Valley towards Gutach. Once in Gutach<BR>turn left and left again at Waldkirch. You'll now be on the<BR>Schwarzwalder Panoramastrasse (Black Forest Panoramic Road) which climbs<BR>a winding path to the Kandel mountain and returns after a series of<BR>bends and turns to Furtwangen. In Furtwangen, look for road signs<BR>leading east to Vohrenach and Hammereisenbach. At Hammereisenbach,<BR>continue south through Eisenbach to Titisee with its picturesque lake.<BR>Continue south on Rte B317 to Todtnau, a town surrounded by mountains on<BR>all sides. For a view of the Black Forest from a mountaintop, take the<BR>chairlift up the Hasenhorn. There is a road leading directly to<BR>Freiburg from Todtnau that passes between a number of mountains.<BR><BR>If, instead, you choose a hotel near Strasbourg, you can easily tour<BR>parts of the northern Black Forest including the Schwarzwald Hochstrasse<BR>(Black Forest High Road). Take Rte E52 (28) east from Strasbourg to Rte<BR>3 south to Offenburg, then Rte 33 southeast to Gengenbach, a town that<BR>will make you forget about Rothenburg. Gengenbach has been carefully<BR>preserved with gates, towers, old walls and timber-framed houses. It's<BR>nowhere near as well known as Rothenburg and you'll encounter far fewer<BR>tourists. Continue on Rte 33 to Hausach where you'll find the<BR>Freilichtmuseum Vogtsbauernhof, an open-air museum with typical 16th and<BR>17th century Black Forest homes and working water powered sawmills.<BR>&gt;From Hausach, take Rte 294 north to Freudenstadt, then Rte 28 west about<BR>12 kms to Rte 500. Turn right onto Rte 500, the Black Forest High Road<BR>and continue to Baden-Baden, the spa town. You can take Rte 3 south<BR>from Baden-Baden back to Rte 28 and Strasbourg, or cross the Rhine just<BR>west of Baden-Baden and take Rte 68 southbound to Strasbourg.<BR><BR>Neither one of these itineraries involves much mileage but each will<BR>probably consume a full day, with stops for strolling through villages<BR>and stops to enjoy scenic views.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 06:19 PM
Ulvis Schumann

To answer the original question...I'd suggest you go down to the A6 & head west, getting off at the Heilbronn exit. Go north (away fom Heilbronn) on rte 37 which mainly goes alongside the Neckar River and into Heidelberg. The drive is very scenic with several castles along the way. Stop in Heidelberg to check out the castle ruins & university, then head out to the A5 & south to Baden Baden. You could also go a little farther down the Romantik Road to see Dinkelsbuhl, but it may be an anticlimax after having seen Rothenburg. <BR>

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 06:42 PM
Rex

I wouldn't want to imply that the span between Rothenburg and Baden-Baden is LESS interesting than the drive between Munich and Rothenburg - - but I have done a trip before based on exactly this itinerary, and I found it very worthwhile to insert a night stopping over in Ulm between Munich and R.o.d.T. It's slightly out of the way, but most worthwhile. <BR> <BR>And I recommend the hotel Ulmer Spatz in Ulm - - just a stone's throw away from the famous Munster - - and try to spend a Tuesday night there. There is a great farmer's market there every Wednesday morning, right on the square in front of it.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 01:15 PM
tom

We made the same drive in April.Took A9 north from Munchen,exited at Hwy 16 just south of Ingolstadt.Then Hwy 16 west to the Romantic Road (Hwy2/Hwy25).The Romantic Rd. runs nw through Donauworth,Nordlingen,and Dinkelsbuhl.If you want to stop, the last two are interesting to visit. The driving time to Rothenburg is appx 3 hrs (excluding stops). <BR>Ulvis' suggested route from Rothenburg to Baden-Baden is a good one, very scenic. Just after you exit A6 (north of Heilbronn)is a very nice town, Bad Wimpfen, well worth a stop. A good road map is Michelin's #419 Deutschland Sud-West. I got mine from Amazon.com. <BR>Have fun.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 01:32 PM
Richard

Freiburg is a good town for the Schwartzwald, Titisee even better. No matter, order anything from the menu that features 'spargel'.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 07:35 PM
Stephen

Thanks to all, Stephen