Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestion needed for places to visit around Amsterdam.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:46 PM
J_9
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We regret the confusion our previous attempts may have caused in asking this question.

We are seniors 74 and 78 visiting Amsterdam from April 23 to early May, and would like to hear about interesting places to visit in and around the city other than Rotterdam, Keukenhoff Garden, and The Hague. These have already been planned. Interesting off the beaten track places and experiences would be appreciated as well.

We will not be driving so walking is in, but hiking, cycling or strenuous activity are out. Otherwise we are open to suggestions.

Thank you.

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 02:20 PM

HI, you can try Zaanse Schans
http://zaanseschans.nl/

Their website is down at the moment, but it is a really neat Dutch Village with museums, windmills, etc..I think it was only about 30 minutes by train outside of Amsterdam..Haarlem is a really neat place to visit as well...If you feel adventurous, you can visit some of the islands..Years ago we visited Texel, it was really neat..Also liked Volendam and Marrken (my spellings may be wrong)..They are really interesting...I think it was Marrken that I almost felt I was walking in a story book..Everything was so green, and little Dutch houses, and swans gliding in the small canals...Those are just some ideas anyhow...Anywhere you choose to visited in the Netherlands is great..
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 02:42 PM
JonJon

Zaan Schanz is easily reached in less than 30 minutes by train (get off at Koog Zaandijk I believe...you can ask at the tourist office outside Centraal Station in A-dam) and the site is about a five-ten minute totally FLAT walk from the rail station.

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 02:54 PM

I second the recommendation for Volendam and Maarken, especially as I couldn't remember their names! Both are delightful to see.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 03:01 PM

Zaanse Schans is a real treat. Volendam, Marken, and Monnickendam. on the Ijselmeer, are attractive little villages worth a visit as well and accessible mainly by bus from A'dam.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:13 AM

j_9

If you haven't already used it, try Amsterdam Tourism.

http://www.holland-hotels.com/tourindex.html