Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Suggestion for Things to do on a Sunday in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/suggestion-for-things-to-do-on-a-sunday-in-london-605665/)

almesq Apr 6th, 2006 09:13 AM

Suggestion for Things to do on a Sunday in London

I'm going to be in London next month on a business trip, and I'll have a Sunday free to do something. I've been there a few times before, so have seen most of the main touristy things, and was looking for some suggestions for something interesting to do. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

PalQ Apr 6th, 2006 09:40 AM

Two institutions are on only on Sunday: The Petticoat Lane market near Liverpool Street Station, where the market hawkers are as much the show as the varied merchandise - hear Cockneys shout their wares to the crowd. Nearby is the famous Columbia Road Flower market, also Cockney animated, again only on Sundays i think.
Across town in Hyde Park (Hyde Park Corner near Oxford Street's western end) is the famous Speakers' Corner where anyone can take to a soap box and pontificate on anything - though Speakers Corner seems to be diminished in popularity and interesting speakers the past few times i've been there it's still a London institution of long running. I'll never forget the obese black Nigerian speaker who reigned here for a few years - he would try to incite the Brits by bragging that he was on the dole and didn't work -"oh what a wonderful country" and then tap his ample belly "Yorkshire Pudding" - always something fun going on there in spite of the preponderance recently it seems of boring religious evangelicals.

PalQ Apr 6th, 2006 10:10 AM

St Paul's Cathedral for services, morning and in evening i believe.

wombat7 Apr 6th, 2006 10:15 AM

Have you been to Greenwich or Hampton Court - I know they are on the torist route but are a bit out of the wya so you might not have seen them.

highledge Apr 6th, 2006 10:25 AM

If the weather is nice I'd wander around the Marylebone High Street and then up into regent's park. There is a great farmers market fron 10-2pm and all the shops and restaurants are open as well. There a few few great spots for breakfast/brunch- or grab a pint and watch the locals go by.
greenwich is also an easy trip via the DLR. Super museums and busy on a Sunday.

kangamom Apr 6th, 2006 10:28 AM

I have loved going to the Columbia Street Flower Market on Columbia Street, East End. It is has a very local flair. Have coffee at the Jones Dairy Cafe on Ezra Street. Explore the Markets on the East End along with all the shops and especially Princelet and Fournier Streets.

PatrickLondon Apr 6th, 2006 10:30 AM

Spitalfields and Brick Lane markets are also Sunday events, and are conveniently between Petticoat Lane and Columbia Road.

There are Sunday morning "coffee concerts" at the Wigmore Hall: http://www.wigmore-hall.org.uk/concerts/concerts.cfm

almesq Apr 6th, 2006 11:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into all of them, they sound great. I have been to Greenwich, but not Hampton Court, and that was one I had been thinking of. Thanks again.

desertduds Apr 6th, 2006 11:45 AM

Seeing The Silver Vaults was really interesting, but I don't have a clue where they are....I believe in the lower part of an office building. There are loads of silver merchants with antique silver of EVERY kind...from huge punch bowls that were carried from place to place on horseback....stuff you've never seen, an unbelievable sight to just wander through.

PalQ Apr 6th, 2006 11:52 AM

Hampton Court to me is one of Europe's most overlooked places - the Versailles of England gets relatively little attention from average tourists - reeks of history - Henry VIIIs stomping grounds, the ghost of one of his headless wives is said to still haunt the palace, swell Thameside location, great park and gardens with a maze and last of all but not least, the Great Vine, planted by Capability Brown in the 1700s from a graft from another grapevine - still produces many pounds of grapes. Trains go right to Hampton Court station and a short spit from the castle entrance.

wombat7 Apr 6th, 2006 12:18 PM

The advantage of Hampton Court is that if it is a nice day you can also walk through the gardens - though look out for that spit en route back to the station!

Neopolitan Apr 6th, 2006 12:34 PM

People spit in the gardens there?

nessundorma Apr 6th, 2006 01:24 PM

Been to Kenwood House at the top of Hampstead Heath?

Incomparable on a nice Spring day. See a Rembrandt and a masterpiece of interior design. You can have lunch up there too.

Second choice for me would be a matinee at the Globe.

Third choice would be a boat down the Thames, either to Kew, Richmond or Hampton Court.

Fourth choice: Book browsing under the bridges on the South bank.

On a rainy day?

Used bookstore browsing near Trafalgar (Celia Court, etc.)

Or the British Museum (it's inexhaustible) or the Nat'l Portait Gallery. (I just like it.)

wombat7 Apr 6th, 2006 01:29 PM

"Trains go right to Hampton Court station and a short spit from the castle entrance."

Neopolitan Apr 6th, 2006 01:57 PM

What am I missing here? It must be time for a drink. Think I'll spit in my scotch.

alanRow Apr 6th, 2006 02:58 PM

"Suggestion for Things to do on a Sunday in London"

Pretty much what you'd do on any other day of the week in London

Neopolitan Apr 6th, 2006 04:51 PM

Not for me, alan. There is very slim pickings of theatre on Sundays. Many days I do two shows a day -- not on Sunday.

London Walks are nice -- there are some good ones on Sunday.

almesq Apr 7th, 2006 05:02 AM

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions (except of course alanRow who had nothing helpful to say). I too would have liked to see a show, but Sunday's certainly not good for that. And alan, the reason I specifically mentioned Sunday is because that is the day I have available and I wanted people to be aware of that because there may be some things that are/are not available on a Sunday as opposed to other days.