Suggestion for hotel for nite before leaving from Pisa airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are just about set for our Sept trip to Italy. Thanx to many of you, we have reserved accommodations in Venice and in the Chianti region of Tuscany. We'll be departing from Pisa airport (no seats available from Florence on our range of dates) so we're trying to figure our where to spend our last nite - especially since we have a 7am flight and a car to drop off. The previous two nites we will be in Lucca, but DH feels more comfortable being closer to the airport for such an early departure. We'd appreciate reading your suggestions for a hotel for this last nite in Italy 2011.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 04:40 PM

The Royal Victoria is close to the airport. It's a very old hotel, not updated but certainly interesting.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Marija - I looked at the Hotel Victoria website and then read TripAdvisor reviews. Sounds like it used to be fine, but lately not so.

I'll keep checking and guidebooks, TripAdvisor and Venere. Does anyone else have a suggestion - some place where they stayed?
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 01:34 PM

We enjoyed the Hotel Allesandro Della Spina -- on the south side, a quick trip to the airport.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Topping. I'm in the same situation and haven't seen any rave reviews of any place in particular.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

capxxx - some reviews of Allesandro mentioned "far out of the center" and "marginal location." How did you feel about the location and neighborhood?

The only hotel that DH and I really like is also very expensive: Hotel Relais dell Orologio, a four star, which we found in Fodor's book and also had great reviews on TripAdvisor. Then I found its sister hotel - which is a B&B - on VirtualTourist.com. That looked okay, but staff is around only between 2pm - 9pm. Not an issue, unless you have a problem in the morning, when you want to depart.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 08:05 AM

Well, it is on the south side of the river -- the touristy section (Dom and Tower) is on the north side of the city. It is a longish walk, but pleasant, through the old university section with some lovely arcaded shops. (The location is convenient to the airport, and to the train and bus center. And there are big car parks in the tourist area. )

I was attending a conference at the university, and not so interested in being in the tourist center. The neighborhood seemed like a student residence area with takeout shops and music stores and such. Not upscale, but not scary.

Re early morning: The desk clerk slept on a sofa in the lobby so he could check us out at 5am -- he made coffee, even, while we waited for the taxi. If you have to leave early, let them know in advance and they'll work something out -- its not like you are prohibited from leaving when you have to.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM

Do you need the car while in Lucca or could you return it earlier? Parking in Lucca can be a hassle. From Lucca to the Pisa airport is about 30 mins. Frankly, I wouldn't waste time on my last day in Italy moving to another hotel closer to the airport. I would much rather spend an extra night in beautiful Lucca and arrange for car transport early in the morning.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 08:29 AM

To each his own, I guess. I think Pisa is prettier than Lucca, especially when you factor in the old university section and the walk along the river. I'd drop off the car the night before and then spend a few euros on a 10 minute taxi ride.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 08:57 AM

capxxx, yes , as they say, different strokes for different folks. I have been to Pisa three times, Lucca twice. I admire Pisa for the beautiful Campo dei Miracoli(even with the tacky kiosks), but failed to see its charm otherwise.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM

I stayed at the Royal Victoria last summer and loved it, with it's faded grandeur, ancient (and yes, somewhat tatty) furniture, intriguing and interesting prints, pictures and maps on every wall, and the fabulous roof terrace.

We sat there in the early evening sipping chilled white wine while the swallows swooped and dipped around, and then much later we had limoncello nightcaps there while listening to a live band playing somewhere in the city below.

I particularly liked the old elegance of the place, it was so easy to imagine my grandparents staying there in the 1930s, it gives the sense of that time, with old luggage racks at the foot of the beds. It also gave me the sense of an even older time, like that of A Room With A View, it didn't seem to have changed much in a hundred years.

I would stay there again, without hesitation.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

cruiseluv - we like your suggestion of staying in Lucca (where we will be the previous two nights anyway) and dropping the car off a day early - then taking taxi early in morning to Pisa airport. So many recommended accommodations in Lucca.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Pisa is quite a small airport. If the car rental place is open, there's no need to return the car in advance. Since you're leaving early in the morning there won't be any traffic. You can even do a dry run to the airport when you're visiting the Piazza dei Miracoli if that makes you more comfortable.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Kellygreta, I don't think you'll regret doing that. Lucca should be lovely in Sept. And yes, many good places to stay and good restaurants too!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM

I would stay put in Lucca; it is not that much further from the airport.