Search

Suggestion for 14 day itinerary for Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestion for 14 day itinerary for Spain

Hi All,
Me and my husband are planning for a 14 day itinerary for Spain this September, excluding the flying days from and back to US. We are interested in fine arts, food, and also like to visit scenic areas. We do not plan to rent a car and will be using train/bus or flights in between cities.We fly into Madrid on a Sunday and fly out of Barcelona two weeks afters.

Our plan so far looks like:
Madrid 4 nights( day trip to Toledo and Segovia)
Seville 3 nights (day trip to Cordoba)
Granada 2 nights
Barcelona 3 nights (possible day trip to Girona)

We still have two days left and wondering about other trips. I am reading mixed comments about white villages and could not decide on it yet. Also we were wondering whether Lisbon 3 day is doable in this trip with a day taken out of Madrid.
Any suggestions comments will be highly appreciated.
Best,
BN
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 10:36 AM

Looks good, if you had to go to Lisbon ( I would just focus on Spain) I would take out Barcelona. As it is you will be losing almost 3 days to travel within the trip.
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 10:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I looked at your itinerary and thought that it was a but busy for me; then I saw that you have 2 days left and frankly, I would add them to Seville and Barcelona, particularly if you are thinking about doing day trips from there.

How are you getting from Granada to Barcelona ? the usual rule of thumb is that it takes half a day out of your trip every time you move from one base to another and that is going to take all of that. You also have to remember that 3 nights in a place translate into 2 days and a bit if you're lucky. if you take Barcelona for example, there is more than enough to see there to fill 3 full days without doing any day trips.

So I would stick with the places that you have and give them as much time as you can.
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 10:56 AM

Well I would not add another place, but I just don't like packing up and moving too often. You could easily add a day to Barcelona or 2 - lots to see and do there. Girona combined with the Dali museum is a nice day trip. I've always wanted to go south on that coast a bit as well or there is also Monserrat. As I remember, it is not so easy to do the white villages by public transportation (and parking can be a nightmare) but you could check around now and see if there are day tours from Seville or Granada. They are scenic. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 12:10 PM

I'd skip Lisbon and add the extra nights to Seville and Barcelona.
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 01:11 PM

Since two of your days in Madrid will be day trips, and you have an interest in Art, I would add a day to Madrid. You could easily spend several hours in the Prado, alone. It is a fabulous museum with incredible collections. On my first trip, one long afternoon just wasn't enough in the Prado, so we returned the next morning for several more hours. There are other wonderful museums in Madrid as well.

In Toledo, don't miss the El Greco Museum.

Add the other day to Barcelona. See as many Gaudi works as possible, especially inside Sagrada Familia and inside and the roof of Casa Mila. See also Palau de la Musica.
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 02:27 PM

I would add a day in Madrid and Barcelona.
Agree with PP.
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all!
We plan to fly from Granada to Barcelona.

We will add a day to Barcelona as you all have suggested. Will have to decide on adding one more day to Madrid or Seville. Is there any suggestion for a day trip to white villages from Seville with a tour operator or by public transport?

Best,
BN
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 06:04 PM
kja

FWIW, I would find this itinerary unpleasantly rushed. Of course, that's irrelevant -- what matters if whether you can see and do what YOU want to see in the time you have. Have you plotted things on a calendar? Note that many things in Spain are closed on Monday, and often for all or part of Sundays too; and many things in Spain will also be closed daily for a very long mid-day break.

Good luck!
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Kja, We have only one sunday in this trip, which most likely will be in Seville. Any tips for that?
This itinerary is based on some of the trip reports posted here and in line with our interests..
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 09:53 PM
kja

Again, note that the BIGGEST problem for many places is MONDAY.

I believe Cordoba's Mezquita is open on Sundays -- except for its long siesta, and IMO, Cordoba is a wonderful place to roam, so you could either eat lunch there or roam around or both before/after your visit to the Mezquita.

I'm sure you realize that planning a trip on the basis of trip reports means that you will probably skip all sorts of things, because few travelers cover all of the sights that might be of interest to you. I'm not trying to tell you what will or won't work for you; just making sure that you are confident that your plan will work for you.

You don't need a tour to get to Ronda, one of the White Towns. Explore your options on rome2rio.com -- but be sure to confirm through other means. IMO, its a stunning setting and interesting town, but getting there would make for a LONG day trip. JMO.

Spain is wonderful, so I'm sure you will have a wonderful time no matter what choices you make!
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you kja, for your inputs and the link. We have not decided on Ronda, and may skip it if it gets too tight.

Seems you are overly critical about this travel plan. It may not work for you, but it is a
reasonable plan for us to sample some of the highlights.
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 11:41 PM
kja

Right, this plan would not have worked for me, but I've also done my best to encourage you to determine what would work <u>for YOU</u>. I've also tried to provide information that might help you make sure it WILL work for you. As I said before, "I'm sure you will have a wonderful time no matter what choices you make" -- and I meant that.

FWIW, if you don't want people to say anything other than, "fantastic plan!" then you might consider not asking for input -- just an idea! ;-)
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 11:53 PM
kja

Correction: I've also <s>tried</s> <u>taken the time and energy</u> to provide information that might help you make sure it WILL work for you.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

I am inclined to add another day to Madrid and one to Barcelona, to keep ample time to visit the museums.
Thank you all for your suggestions on the itinerary, and Sassafrass & suec1 for the inputs on arts/museums. I will start on planning for each day now, will get back to you with questions!
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 03:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is our 20-day trip report to Spain last year (with photos). It might give you some ideas. we visited Barcelona, Granada, Sevilla, Cordoba, Toledo and Madrid. One of our greatest trips ever!

http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/spain-2015/
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 10:08 PM
kja

"I am inclined to add another day to Madrid and one to Barcelona, to keep ample time to visit the museums."

The main museums in Madrid can, IME, easily take 3 or 4 full days, from opening to closing. The museums of Barcelona, IME, wouldn't necessarily take that long, but the most significant architectural sites, in conjunction with the most important museums, can easily take 4 or more full days.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 10:44 PM

You are in Sevilla during the world's greatest and most prestigious flamenco festival, the Bienal de Flamenco (Sept 8-Oct 2). The finest flamenco artists in the world in theaters all around town every night for more than three weeks. A night at the Bienal would be a great intro to this beautiful and powerful art so important for the city and the region, and it could easily be the highlight of your trip. The tickets are now selling out: http://www.labienal.com/en/

<We have only one sunday in this trip, which most likely will be in Seville. Any tips for that?>
Sunday lunch is a highlight of the week all around Spain, the restaurants and tapas bars are jam packed with groups of families and friends. A Sunday in September could be the excellent Museo de Bellas Artes/Fine arts museum in the morning, a serious lunch, perhaps in the very local atmosphere Triana, San Lorenzo or Macarena districts, a couple of hours rest before going out for the night, some tapas and glasses in the central and vibrant Arenal area before a flamenco night in the old world Lope de Vega theater, the huge and modern Maestranza theater, the cutting edge Teatro Central or an outdoor night concert in the spectacular Real Alcázar gardens.

On a Monday in September, you could do exactly the same, but change the Museo de Bellas Artes with the Hospital de la Caridad, it might give you the ultimate Sevilla experience. The 17th century repenting benefactor/co-founder Miguel de Mañara was - according to himself - and previous to his 'awakening', "the most evil man that ever lived". All the paintings he commisioned from some of the most famous golden-age arists (Murillo, Valdés Leal, Zurbarán etc.) for the hospital and it's adjoining church dealt with the theme of death and redemption. The hospital, the church, the paintings and Mañara's grave are all in Calle Temprado, 3 close to the Maestranza theater and the Torre del Oro.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/seville/sights/411842
http://www.santa-caridad.es/en/vener...fe-and-legacy/
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
bn - to kimhe's doubtless excellent recommendations I can add that when we were in Seville in September a few years ago it co-incided with some Saints' days and whilst nothing like what I imagine Semana Santa to be, it was fascinating to see the Madonnas being carried around the streets, accompanied by progressions and the music of brass bands, which came as a surprise to us!
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Maitaitom, wow --what an excellent report. Just read the first few chapters, very informative and funny as well. Will definitely help us in planning some of our days.

Kimhe, your plan for a Sunday/Monday at Seville sounds interesting. I came to know about the flamenco festival in this forum only. Thanks for reminding, I should get the tickets. Somewhere I read about an art/local crafts fair on Sundays in Seville-- any idea?

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -