Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Suggested movies and music for your next Paris trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/suggested-movies-and-music-for-your-next-paris-trip-518388/)

Razzle_Dazzle Apr 4th, 2005 09:50 AM

Suggested movies and music for your next Paris trip

I recall several threads recently asking for the appropriate music and films for those traveling to France. I was wondering if anyone mentioned the following:

Movies:
1. French Kiss (Hollywood)
2. And Now Ladies and Gentlemen (by Claude Lelouch, starring Jeremy Irons and Patricia Kaas)

Music:
-Anything by Patricia Kaas

ChevyChasen Apr 4th, 2005 10:51 AM

waiting for the da vinci code.
tom hanks (langdon), john reno (bezu) , Audrey Tautou (sophie)

Underhill Apr 4th, 2005 10:54 AM

RD, you don't need to re-post your query;just click on your name, above, to find other responses.

jo_ann Apr 4th, 2005 11:59 AM

I'm enjoying tremendously the soundtrack to "Something's Gotta Give" (diane keaton, jack nicholson). Listening to Eartha Kitt sing "je cherche un homme...", several versions of La Vie en Rose, couple of sambas...getting my french back trying to translate it all. C'est magnifique!
(okay - a side note : of course, Tom Hanks is wonderful, but just not what I would have pictured for the character in da vinci code. this was the subject of conversation with a coworker in an airport several months ago. My vote was a Kevin Bacon type, or Kevin himself. It will be interesting to see.)

gracie04 Apr 4th, 2005 12:11 PM

Kevin Bacon? I was thinking Russell Crowe. :)

cruisinred Apr 4th, 2005 01:04 PM

While not a very romantically titled movie, Le Divorce is a not a heavy film and does have some great scences of Paris and the countryside. Kate Hudson is adorable too.

Gardyloo Apr 4th, 2005 01:33 PM

Well least night I just saw an old (1976) film that is now my Paris Movie No. 1 With a Bullet. Nine minutes long. Filmed with much secrecy and enigmatic to this day.

<i>C'&eacute;tait un rendez-vous</i>, another film by by the same Claude Lelouche (see info and play a clip at http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=h706) was shot with a bumper-mounted camera ostensibly on the front of a Ferrari 275 GTB (my vote for most beautiful car ever anyway) which is then driven through a Parisian dawn at what looks like something around 100 mph/180 kph most of the time, complete with Ferrari ripping-canvas soundtrack, squeeling tires on cobblestones, around Concorde at 2-3 gees.... h-o-l-y m-o-s-e-s. Ya gotta see it.

Robespierre Apr 4th, 2005 02:39 PM

Music: Gershwin's <i>An American in Paris</i>

Movie: Minnelli's <i>An American in Paris</i>

BTilke Apr 5th, 2005 07:42 AM

I didn't like French Kiss that much because some of the supposed Parisian scenes were merely computer generated (if I want a computer generated Paris and Meg Ryan, I'll watch the animated film Anastasia). My two &quot;modern&quot; favorite Parisian movies are Frantic and Diva.
Re music, when we're driving through France, we often listen to Alain Chamfort. His song Clara (veut la lune) has a smooth rhythm and Bon Anniveraire has clever lyrics. We enjoyed attending one of his concerts in Belgium. We also enjoy just flipping on a French radio station.

joemar Apr 5th, 2005 07:52 AM

Charade with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. The Hotel where they filmed a lot of the movie is the St. Jacques. I walked around the lobby when I was there last summer. It still looks pretty much the same as it did in the movie. They had a picture of Cary Grant at the hotel in the lobby. A lot of the filming took place around the Latin Quarter.

minimn Apr 5th, 2005 08:48 AM

Gardyloo,
Unbelievable!! My husband returned from a car show last week and presented me with that film as a gift. It's fabulous!! You must also be a motorhead. :-)

JoeG Apr 5th, 2005 09:37 AM

jo ann,
My wife bought the &quot;Something's Got to Give&quot; soundtrack prior to a recent trip to France. We played it quite often while there and now that we are home, it really has special memories.

We also played a CD by Madeline Peygroux (sp) not sure of the spelling or the album name. Songs are mostly in English, but she is very popular in France.

For those old enough to remember, &quot;A Man and a Woman&quot; was a great movie with an interesting soundtrack.

JoeG

JoeG

Gardyloo Apr 5th, 2005 09:51 AM

<i>A Man and a Woman</i> was also by M. Lelouche.

Powell Apr 5th, 2005 10:00 AM

For movies &quot;Le Divorce&quot;. It is one of the worst movies I ever saw but, but the scenery is splendid. Mute the sound.

I agree with other posters on the sound track of &quot;Something's Gotta Give&quot;. Karen Akers' CD &quot;Under Paris Skies&quot;; any CD with Piaf or Charles Trenet on it is good.

anthony

My favorite book on Paris is &quot;The Seven Ages of Paris&quot; by Alistair Horn. This is a witty and well-written history of how Paris came to be Paris- NOT dry history!

paperbag Apr 5th, 2005 11:40 AM

phantom of the opera or
phantom of the louvre

martytravels Apr 5th, 2005 02:20 PM

Music: Anything by Les Nubians. Buttery, jazzy Parisisan neo-soul, as smooth as an evening stroll along Blvd. St. Germain.

nonnafelice Apr 5th, 2005 02:28 PM

Our favorite French film and music is the animated &quot;Triplets of Belleville&quot; and its soundtrack. It's one of the most original movies of recent years, and the music is addictive.

ilovetulips Apr 5th, 2005 02:30 PM

Movie- Before Sunset,wonderful movie with shots on the Seine, Latin Quarter.

JoeG Apr 5th, 2005 03:56 PM

The artist I was trying to spell is Madeleine Peyroux and the cd is &quot;careless love.&quot;

Another group that is fun to listen to is Paris Combo.

JoeG

cigalechanta Apr 6th, 2005 08:56 AM

Razzle-dazzle, I loved And Now Ladies and Gentlemen but it was not Paris.
I thought Kaas was wonderful considering it was her first film.
The Trouffaut films, his Antoine Doinel series always make me wish I were in Paris.