Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggest agritourismo between rome and la speziai

Jan 22nd, 2016, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

We are flying into rome in sep with 2 little kids and renting a car. I would love to be able to visit a couple of umbria towns and la spezia/sestri levante. I don't want to keep changing my base due to kids so wondering if there is a quaint village/little town with an agritourismo (with suites, pool, farm animals etc) where we can drive into from rome (less than 3 hours driving is preferential) and settle down for a week or so and do day trips to umbrian villages and sestri levante from there. Doable or am I being unrealistic? Thanks in advance!
Jan 22nd, 2016, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

sorry about the typos
Jan 22nd, 2016, 06:11 AM

Umbria and Sestri Levante are several hours (like 4ish+) apart driving on the autostrada. Trying to find somewhere to do day trips to both areas is pretty unrealistic to me. Perhaps split your time into two?
Jan 22nd, 2016, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

hmm ok so i guess it may be unrealistic then I could stay a few nights in umbria and then a few in sestri levante but I afraid going back to rome from sestri levante will be a tough drive for kids especially right before the brutual flight.
I guess I should give up on seeing sestri levente (i am having a hard time with this) and stay put in one place in umbria or sabina and do daytrips to villages around there.
Jan 22nd, 2016, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Does this sound crazy and expensive and even doable with 2 little kids ?:
-Fly into rome and stay 2 nights
-Fly into genoa (no idea how much will be 4 people ticket price)
-stay in sestri levente for 2 nights
-rent a car and drive to a agritourismo in umbria
-stay 2 nights in umbria-do daytrips to villages
-drive beck to rome and fly out to boston
Jan 22nd, 2016, 06:41 AM

Well I would find that too fast paced for my husband and me, but we like to spend a week in one place and just enjoy it.

Keep in mind 2 nights = 1 full day of sightseeing. Travel days eat up precious time. What you have above is:

Day 1 - arrive in Rome and get settled
Day 2 - Rome
Day 3 - Travel Rome to Genoa (I wouldn't fly, maybe look into the train?) then get to Sestri Levente and settle in
Day 4 - Sestri Levente
Day 5 - drive to Umrbia and settle in
Day 6 - Umbria
Day 7 - drive back to Rome and fly home? I would spend the night before my flight closer to the airport depending on the flight time.

That doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me as 1/2 your time is spend in transit and settling in...but I don't know your family.
Jan 22nd, 2016, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

ok make sense. I can do 3-4 nights at both sestri levente and umbria also. Every one is advising me to just pick a base near rome and do small towns around there and i do agree with that. My problem is that I have always dreamed about amalfi coast, which would be a waste with kids so i figured i should do sestri levente instead and I guess I am having a hard time thinking that I am going all the way to Italy and coming back without seeing AC or SL but looks like I don't have much choice unless I want to be busy shuttling everyone around the whole time.
I was worrying about using train because we will have a lot of luggage to haul so i figured flight might be a better option.
Jan 22nd, 2016, 07:08 AM

I am sure you will have a lovely time no matter what you choose! Italy is such a beautiful country.

Could you book your flights through to Genoa? That way your luggage will be transferred for you (hopefully) and you could just have 1 long travel day at the beginning. Then spend a few days on the coast and then head to Umbria for the remaining days, then head to the Rome airport the night before your flight.

Is it just the Italian coast you want to see? What about the Tuscan coast? I have never been but perhaps there is a lovely area off the beaten normal tourist path that would appeal?

Italy will still be here when you make your next trip. I would focus on what is possible given your current situation with your children and enjoy that and not worry about missing out on the coast. You will see wonderful things in all areas of Italy. Enjoy what you can now and do the coast on a later trip...
Jan 22nd, 2016, 07:13 AM

Or why don't you stay in SL the whole week and book your flights in and out of Genoa? You might have to change planes in Rome but might be worth it.
Jan 22nd, 2016, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Yes I agree with everything you are saying...just need to convince my heart to be less greedy
My husband has a work related thing in Latina, so he gets to fly free and stay 2 night in either rome or latina. We figured we will tag along and make it a family holiday that's why we are flying into rome and not into Genoa.I figured we will do hop on hop off bus in rome while he is in latina for work coz i do want to see a bit of rome also.
Jan 22nd, 2016, 08:42 AM

The HO HO bus may not be a great idea, especially in summer. Typically there are long waits for busses and with little kids that could be awful, especially if it is hot.
Jan 22nd, 2016, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

is that the same as hop on hop off bus? we are going in september.
Jan 24th, 2016, 02:31 AM

If your husband needs to work in the Latina, there is a beautiful seacoast there. Sperlonga is the nicest town, but you can also consider Terracina and Gaeta.

You could also take the train from Rome to Salerno and go to a family-friendly village on the beaches near Salerno, like Maori or Cetara.

It really makes little sense to spend hours in airports or on trains from Rome to get to Sestri Levante. If you want to go north of Rome rather than south, take a look Santa Marinella, Orbetello and Tarquinia and agriturismi near there, or go to the island of Giglio.

Here is an article about touring the Latina with kids you might find interesing.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...familyholidays
Jan 24th, 2016, 06:03 AM

Given your situation with husband needing to be in Latina for work,and you have 6 nights, and 2 kids, I would choose between a couple of things.
Spend 4 days in Sorrento and from there, visit the amalfi coast then spend last 2 nights in Rome as you would want to be there so you can fly out home to Boston.
or
spend 4 nights in an agriturismo in Tuscany or Umbria with a pool and visit some gorgeous little hill towns. Then spend last 2 nghts in Rome - again so you are ready in position to fly home.

I have traveled to Italy many times with kids, so have some experience.
How old are yours? It may make a difference in what you choose.
Jan 25th, 2016, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Linda my kids will be 2.5 and 5 in september.