Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggest a town for house/apt rental with young children? (not too far from Dublin)

Search

Suggest a town for house/apt rental with young children? (not too far from Dublin)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be going to Ireland for 2 wks in late Aug/Early Sept. We'll be in Dublin the first week and would like to rent a house or apartment in another town for the second week. We'll have a 3YO and infant with us, so we'd like to be somewhere that is family-friendly (the children are very low maintenance though, and used to restaurants/travelling).

We prefer authentic over "touristy" destinations, so we'd like to stay in a town where we can relax, walk around, soak up some charming sights and enjoy the people. Any suggestions? We'd prefer to get there by train from Dublin, but could rent a car if necessary.

We are entirely unfamilliar with Ireland so any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:08 PM

It is difficult to suggest a specific town as there are a lot of options.
If you are using the train you can check out train destinations, timetables and travel time on www.irishrail.ie.
You could check official tourist website www.ireland.ie which gives information on different town and also information on rental accommodation.
Trains to the west coast go to Galway, Westport or Ballina (with inland town options on the way).
Trains south west go to Killarney, Limerick, Tralee, Ennis;
Trains south go to Cork, Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford.
Trains northwest go to Sligo and trains north east to Dundalk and Belfast.
If you check out a few options and come back to me I can give more information.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:36 AM

Stephens Hall of St Stephens Green or there are a few apartment places to rent. What exactly do you mean by a toenhouse and I can search more as i live here??
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:37 AM

How about the small town of Skerries in North County Dublin..its one of my favorite places in Ireland yet easy to get into the city by train or bus. Just being there is fun and relaxing with things to see there and near by.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:54 AM

What is with skerries? Its a perfectly fine place but not the most convenient to Dublin Centre due to traffic etc. I would sugest closer to town or possibly along the dart line like Clontarf or Blackrock, monkstown Dunlaoghaire where there will be lots for the family to do and eat out.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM

I'll throw Malahide intothe mix. Skerries is a bit far out.

Bill
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 04:38 AM

Hi Sweetbean

I dont know if I'm reading your post correctly, but I take it you mean, you would like to stay some other place besides Dublin for the second week? and you would prefer to travel to this town by train? I take it you dont mean the town has to be near Dublin?

If so, then I suggest staying in Wexford for the second week, you can rent some lovely houses by the sea, the children would love the beach, and Wexford is a charming place, only 1.5hrs drive from Dublin. Its not over crowded,they are lucky with the weather more so than the West of Ireland and they have some very nice restaurants there. You can do a bit of sight seeing as well. There is the Visitor Centre in Enniscorthy which is quite nice and very interesting from the point of view of Irish History.
There is the John F. Kennedy Arboretum,which is lovely if you are interested in plants,trees etc.
You could visit the Irish Agricultural Museum and Famine Exhibition in Johnstown,The Museum is located in the old farmyard buildings of Johnstown Castle which were built in the 1800's These have been restored and converted and are very interesting to visit. There are a host of other things to do, Dunbrody Ship, this is a full scale reproduction of a 19th century famine ship, its really cool.
The Dunbrody visitor centre has a big maze, the kids would absolutley love!
They would also love the farmyard animals at Ballylane visitor farm.
There are some nice little quirky shops in Wexford town also. I hope you enjoy your visit to Ireland.