Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Suggesions for day trips from Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/suggesions-for-day-trips-from-paris-157620/)

Rob Feb 9th, 2002 01:46 AM

Suggesions for day trips from Paris

Will be in Paris for 10 days this April. We're thinking of taking a train outside the city for a day or two. Your suggestions for daytrips would be appreciated.

gerard Feb 9th, 2002 02:21 AM

Versailles is a must see, esp the gardens. About 20 min by train. Gare Montparresse I believe. Also that direction Chartes, about an hour charming city, an unquine Chaterteral. I wished to go to Fountenblue, south of Paris, but didnt make it, but its not far, 15 min. Some places were not easy by train. I stayed in Chartes and Verasailles as I toured Paris, so an easy commute. Hope you enjoy France

tothetop Feb 9th, 2002 11:03 AM

topping

Ron Feb 9th, 2002 01:16 PM

My favorite day trip is to the Chareau Vaux-le-Vicomte. Check out their web site.

Bob Brown Feb 9th, 2002 03:45 PM

There are many options here. Certainly Versailles is a worthwhile endeavor.<BR>But, for my money, Vaux le Vicomte is a treat. It involves a little doing if you free lance it without a car, but it is not a major problem. Train to the village of Melun; taxi to the chateau.<BR><BR>Fontainebleau is another historical and beautiful place. It is loaded with the history of France, particularly Napoleon. He lived there when he was not off attending a war.<BR><BR>Both can be one in one day, but it is a long day. I tried it, and I was saturated after an hour or so at Fontainebleau. I suggest you go, stay overnight, and enjoy it to the fullest.<BR>Both places are interesting, beautiful, and historical.

Rob Feb 9th, 2002 11:27 PM

Thank you all very much for your great suggestions. Will run them by my wife and pick one from there.

Ron Feb 10th, 2002 08:37 AM

Replying to Bob, I think it is probably easier to get to Vaux-le-Vicomte without a car. All you need to do is tke the train or RER to Melun. Before taking a cab for the short ride to the chateau, check the schedule for express service back to Paris so that you will know what time to get back to the station. After seeing the chateau, you can rent a golf cart for a 45 minute tour of the extensive gardens. There is a cafeteria on the grounds. <BR><BR>I fave a file on other Paris day trips and can send it by e mail.<BR>

ron Feb 12th, 2002 05:14 AM

Consider going to Reims, where they make Champagne and have a spectacular cathedral where the kings are crowned. I had a marvelous time in January and highly recommend it. Only 1.5 hours by train. If you go, you must have lunch at the Le Vigneron restaurant. Best meal I had in France.<BR><BR>Ron<BR>

beth Feb 12th, 2002 09:37 AM

No one mentioned Giverny, the home and gardens of Monet which is a train ride, then either take the bus or a taxi to the house. If you go, don't miss the American Impressionist Museum, great permanent collection and a good restaurant with a patio that was missed by the crowds the day we were there. Also, if there is any interest in Van Gogh, we took a train north to Avers sur Oise (changing at Pontoise) and had a wonderful day wandering the town - seeing the room where he died, his and Theo's grave sites, etc. All through the town the spots he painted are highlighted with a sign featuring his painting of it. This is not a crowded tourist town, and we four and another couple were the only ones exiting the train station. It is just a charming, still active town for a quiet, respite type day. There are some hills though if walking them might be a problem (we had 90+ heat too!) We took the local (non-English speaking but totally engaging driver) bus back to the Pontoise station rather than the train and it rambled through some delightful neighborhoods (info re bus at the Tourist Center).

ryan Feb 12th, 2002 09:54 AM

From Paris, I've done two days trips on a few different visits.<BR><BR>Burgandy Wine Tour - We took the TGV from Gare d'Lyon to Dijon. We then went on a 4 hour tour with a company called Wine and Voyages to several vineyards in the area. The tour is run by an American expat, I believe they have a website. We really enjoyd the trip and found the tour very informative.<BR><BR>Normandy Landing Beaches - Very moving. I arranged the trip through a NYC based company, French Accents. They booked me onto a small tour bus picked me up at my hotel and left Paris at about 6 a.m. We stopped for two hours at the D-Day Museum in Caen and then went to the American Cemetary (above Omaha Beach) and Pont D'Houc. We arrived back in Paris by 7:00 p.m. It was a long day but it was extremely interesting and well worth the time.<BR><BR>

lisa Feb 12th, 2002 12:51 PM

A great daytrip is an early morning TGV to Tours which you can use as a base to see several of the chateaux of the Loire Valley, returning by train to Paris that evening.

jeanne May 20th, 2002 07:30 PM

TO: Ryan<BR>I want to do the day trip to the American cemetery and D Day beaches...how overwhelming it must be to stand on that ground! If I take the train from Paris, would I go to Caen? Is Bayeaux a short distance from Caen?