Suddenly Rethinking France Plan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have all our reservations set, but there is one part that just dawned on me that we might have a problem with. We will be staying in central Lyon at La Residence; and we do have a car. We will probably drive into town and leave the car in a parking garage, check into the hotel, and leave the car there for 2 days, while we explore. We will do our exploring of the area outside Lyon after we check out of the hotel. Do you think we should consider a place on the outskirts of town, so we do not have to hassle with driving in the city, or should we just leave things as is? I assume Lyon can have nightmare traffic like most other cities.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 08:35 AM

For what it's worth, we arrived and departed Lyon by rail, using public transportation (buses and subway) and walking. At no time did we notice any particular traffic problems as in Paris. We found Lyon to be one of the most "French" and pleasant places of all our trip. Hope you do the same.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 09:55 AM

Ramp parking should be fine, but switch parking spaces once or twice daily within the ramp and leave nothing--not even a map--visible in the car. In fact, if you have a trunk curtain instead of closed-trunk vehicle, open it to reveal an empty boot.

Send an email to the hotel to request parking suggestions. Even budget hotels sometimes have a slot or two they can rent for a couple of days. If not, they know where the safest, nearest spot is located.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 10:12 AM

Wren - In your e-mail to the hotel, reconfirm your reservation! Two weeks ago they "walked" us to the Campanile, which is not about to be as nice. We were looking forward to staying there. Have fun. CJ
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

CarolJ. They lost your reservation? That would be rather upsetting! I will reconfirm right now.

Invisible..thanks for the suggestions...and encouragement from USNR.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
wren, I always print it out as one, like this year said the email was the confirmatin when I requested an avion one.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
P.S before I had the Printer, I forwarded to a friend to print it for me.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 02:00 PM

Oh, I had a printed copy of the confirmation. The clerk said he had made a mistake and unfortunately had not booked a room for us. The bottom line is, they had no room for us. We could have made a fuss but didn't. It was a French holiday (long weekend) and our res. was for one night so they didn't honor it. This happens in the hotel business all the time. Anyway, be aware. CJ
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

I have emailed them, and let's hope I have better luck than you!! But should we stay that far into town???
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:01 PM

It's a great location! CJ
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:37 PM

Absolutely definitely stay in the city. From the Hotel Residence you can walk to many nice parts of town, you are near lots of cafés and restaurants, not too far from the old town (10 minute walk), near the metro, near lots of shops...

There is a massive, secure underground car park on place Bellecour which is not far from your hotel. It shouldn't be too hard to find as Bellecour is one of the key central spots in the city and is well signposted.

Driving in Lyon can be a bit of a nightmare, as you said. Not so much because the drivers are all crazed maniacs like in Paris, but because of the many one-way systems, tunnels and underpasses.

I recommend going to www.1bis.com and typing in the address of the hotel ("chercher un plan ou une carte&quot to get a good, clear map of the centre of town with the directions of the one-way system clearly indicated. Click on "grand plan" to get a large, printable version.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

hanl --thanks...what a help that is! I guess I will relax about driving and staying in town, since no one seeems to think it is a bad decision. Any other suggestions?
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:32 AM

Will you be in Lyon this summer?
If I can help you with any other "logistical" matters or suggestions, feel free to ask!
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Hey Hanl, Yes, we will be in Lyon in less than 2 weeks (yippee...I can't believe the time is almost here after all this planning!)...so this is a good hotel/area to stay in? Do you know anything about the hotel and area where Hotel des Artistes is, and if so, how would you compare to where we are?
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:41 AM

Hôtel des Artistes is very near to where Hotel La Résidence is located. It's on the Place des Célestins, a pretty square close to Place Bellecour, near the river Saône. I don't know anybody who's stayed there, so I can't give you any inside info, but the location is good - although I wouldn't say it's better or worse than La Résidence. I'm sure it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, really...

As for La Résidence, it's the hotel I chose for my parents to stay in (for 10 days) when they came to visit me in Lyon and they were perfectly happy with it. My mother enjoyed browsing round all the shoe shops and boutiques near the hotel!

The area is fine. If you are looking for places to eat near the hotel, try the Rue des Marroniers which is just by place Bellecour, on the east side, towards the Rhone - about 5 minutes walk from your hotel. Lots of little "bouchon" style places (try la Ronde de Serviette for nice homemade, traditional food).

One other thing to bear in mind: it's really hot in Lyon at the moment. I don't know what the weather will be doing in 2 weeks, but given the average temperature over the last month, I'd say bring a fan - I mean the old fashioned fold-up paper kind. You'll make good use of it!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Sounds great to me...I think we will stick with the orginal plan, and I am pasting your info into my notes ASAP...thanks so much!

I live in S. Florida..the heat follows me wherever I go...i.e I go to San Francisco...they have a heat wave...oh well...maybe it will be a dry heat!!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 02:52 PM

When it is 104 degrees, it doesn't matter if it is dry! I live in Grenoble and am from S. Florida. I've never been this hot before, so remember to drink lots of water! I'm assuming that your hotel has AC, it will be much appreciated by you if it does! Hopefully this heat wave won't be as bad by the time you get here.

We have driven in Lyon and it isn't near as bad as Paris. Just give yourself extra time and don't get flustered when you can't get there the way you think you can by looking on the map, it can get confusing in town!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi expatmommy, Sounds like wearing casual capris and short sleeve shirts will be in order...Do people wear the dark neutrals in capris as well? I am packing tonight thinking that leaving the long sleeves at home is a good thing.

Where in S. FL?