Subway Sandwiches

Jun 14th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Kendrick

Subway Sandwiches

Do they have Subway sandwich shops in Europe in case I get hungry for a taste from home?

Jun 14th, 2002, 03:47 PM
MaryG

They have Subway in England, but mostly at the Universitys. I met the person who has brought Subway to England and they are concentrating on the University crowd to make a go of it.

Jun 14th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Couldn't

You can buy sandwiches in most of the subways of the big cities: Rome, London, Paris, etc.

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:05 PM
okay Resist

I make and bring my own sandwiches to the subway. It's a big hit in
Casablanca and Fez.

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:09 PM
xxx

Yes

www.subway.com

Go to 'find a restaurant' and knock yourself out.

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Franco

We don't eat that crap in Europe.

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:59 PM
kan_u_spare_a_tenner

We have wimpy's instead

Jun 14th, 2002, 07:03 PM
bettyk

Remember seeing one in Vienna off Kaertnerstrasse I believe.

Jun 14th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Joe

Franco: Please! I have seen some of the worst sandwiches I have ever witnessed in my life in the windows of some Sandwich shops in Italy. There are fantastic ones as well, but don't tell me you don't have that stuff in Italy. I have been there too many times to buy that nonsense. And, quite frankly, Subway Shops offer some pretty good sandwiches if you are selective.

Jun 14th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Steve Mueller

If you mean the brand name "Subway," the answer is yes, at least for Germany. These stores are popping up all over the world. Twenty years ago, every small town in America had a Dairy Queen, today they all have a Subway.

Jun 14th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Gerard

We don't allow that fluffy bread onto the continent.

Jun 14th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Jake

Yes, but in London they're called Tube sandwiches and in Paris they're called Metro sandwiches.

Jun 14th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Doug Weller

Subway shops don't use fluffy bread. They've got things such as oregano baguettes, etc.

In the UK they aren't just at Universities.

Subway has a big competitor in the US, can't recall the name, but it's just opened a shop in Birmingham (UK).

Doug

Jun 15th, 2002, 01:11 AM
Julie

why not stop at mcdonalds?

Jun 15th, 2002, 03:13 AM
BTilke

One of the best sandwiches I ever had I picked up at the Subway's in the Vienna Westbahnhof before taking an overnight train back to Brussels. It was a hot sandwich made with a whole grain sesame seed bread, fresh baked chicken, lettuce, and a great light mustard sauce. I had some fruit and cheese from a local market and the Subway sandwich made it a great picnic meal for the train home (no Subways in Brussels, though).

Jun 15th, 2002, 07:22 AM
wow

I won't eat any andwich where everything is presliced and sitting there for who knows how long

Jun 15th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Fattie R. Buckle

Friends, I KNOW sandwiches, I own a “custom” sandwich shop. I’ve done business trips in Canada and all over Europe and, believe me, when it comes to sandwiches the USA is the big dog on the tip-top of the heap. Europe offers some fabulous food in many countries, but make no mistake about it, none of you can even come close to the States when it comes to the art of the sandwich. Subs, hoagies, Philly’s, hot dogs, burgers, Rueben’s, sandwiches are something we do better than ANYBODY. Even you America-bashers should have the good grace to give credit where credit is due.

Jun 15th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Fattie R. Buckle

Having said all that, not necessarily SUBWAY, but they're not bad, for pre-sliced meats and limited cheeses, but the bread is fresh baked and damned good, the best thing about the sandwich, actually.

Jun 15th, 2002, 08:26 AM
BTilke

I have no idea what Subways are like in general, the one at Vienna's Westbahnhof was the only one I've been to in years, but the hot roasted chicken sandwich was definitely not pre-sliced. Everything about it was fresh--the bread, the chicken, the lettuce, etc. If Subway's had a store in Brussels in that sold the same sandwich...I'd be there a LOT.
BTilke (Brussels)

Jun 15th, 2002, 09:05 AM
amy

There is a centrally located Subway sandwich shop in London's soho and another one near to the Earl's Court tube.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO