Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Subway parking in milan? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/subway-parking-in-milan-354013/)

zurichhasbean May 3rd, 2008 07:38 AM

Subway parking in milan?

My wife and I will be driving in from Como to Milan for a day and I was going to park in the suburbs and take the subway into the city center. I have found the Milan transit websites; however, I am having difficulty finding out what stations have parking on the northerly sections of the lines. If anyone has the relevent info I would be eternally grateful.
Thanks, Jeff

HappyTrvlr May 3rd, 2008 07:51 AM

It is very easy to take the train from Como to Milan, a short ride and no parking worries.

Jean May 3rd, 2008 09:26 AM

I also suggest you take the train from Como.

Here's a link to the LeNord train which has service from Como to Milano Cadorna station with a change at Saronno. The journey takes about 75 minutes. Cadorna is very near the Last Supper at Santa Maria delle Grazie, and/or it's a nice walking distance and route (via Dante) from Cadorna to the Duomo.

http://www.lenord.it/website/lenord/en/home/index.php

(Don't take the single train without change at Saronno. These trains don't end up at Cadorna.)

zurichhasbean May 11th, 2008 07:19 AM

Thanks for your info. I will drive to Saronno (since we are staying outside of Como) and catch a train into Milan.
Jeff

baileysmom2 May 16th, 2008 07:18 AM

My husband, 7yr old daughter and I are headed to Italy this August. We are flying in to Milan and spending a couple of days there before heading to the Tuscany area. We are definitely renting a car but since we'll be in the city for 2 days, was thinking of renting it as we LEAVE Milan.
Question - is it easy to take the train from Malpensa airport into the city with luggage and a 7 yr old in tow?

Any hotel suggestions in Milan that are near the must-sees (since we're only there 2 days) but not too expensive (ieally less than $200/night)?

Jean May 16th, 2008 02:34 PM

Baileysmom2, the train from Malpensa to Cadorna station is very easy. So is the bus from Malpensa to the Centrale station. Reaching either is very easy. Just follow the signs.

I think I'd rather end up at Cadorna. It's a smaller station, less chaotic, easier to navigate.

I can recommend the Star Hotel, but I think it's slightly over your $200 budget. Look at www.hotelstar.it.

Happy Planning!

baileysmom2 May 19th, 2008 07:53 AM

Jean - thanks so much for the quick reply!

So if we do the Star Hotel, would teh Cardona station still be better than Centrale? I'm assuming either station is in the heart of the city?

Jean May 19th, 2008 09:16 PM

The Star Hotel is much closer to Cadorna Nord station than to the Centrale station. It's a slightly crooked line from Cadorna to Star Hotel to Duomo, and we've actually walked to the station with luggage from another hotel in the same area.

But take a cab from Cadorna to the hotel. We watched a woman leave the Duomo metro station, map in hand, as she tried to figure out which direction she needed to go. About 10 minutes after we returned to the Star, she walked in the front door. She'd been wandering around trying to find the street the hotel is on.

baileysmom2 May 20th, 2008 06:48 PM

Thank you Jean! I will check out Hotel Star.

Do you know if hotels can help arrange getting a rental car for when we leave Milan and head to Tuscany? If not, where in Milan would you typically get a rental car?

Baileysmom2

Jean May 20th, 2008 07:19 PM

I think you're better off arranging your car rental before you leave home. The Star (or any hotel, for that matter) is not going to search out the best deal for you.

Where are you going first in Tuscany? Personally, I wouldn't rent a car in Milan. It's one Italian city I won't drive in. As an alternative, consider taking the train (45-50 mins.) to Piacenza. I think the Europcar office there is very near the train station. (FYI, the train to Piacenza will depart from Milano Centrale station.)

www.europcar.com

baileysmom2 May 28th, 2008 05:49 AM

Thanks Jean!

Hotel Star is fully booked but I have some suggestions that I'll look into.

Re: driving in Milan, yes, we don't intend to drive in the city but was planning to rent it there since we need to drive it back to Milan for our flight back to the US. I guess it's ok to pick up the car from one place and drop off in another so we'll consider your train suggestion!

Baileysmom