Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

subway/bus from airport to termini in Rome

Notices

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:36 AM
laura

My husband doesn't want to take a cab to our hotel in Rome. There will be five of us plus luggage and would be lucky to fit in one cab. He feels it would be MUCH more economical to take the subway or bus, but after traveling 12 hours I want it to be kind of simple. Even if we get to the train station then take a short cab ride to the hotel would probably save us $.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:44 AM
Alice Twain

Half of the taxis currently working in large cities are 6 or 7 seats minibuses (monovolume) like the ugly but comfortable Miat Multipla or the nice and even more spacious Megane Scénic cars.
On the other hand there is one train that goes directly from the airport to Termini station twice per hour.
Being five, I guess that you will spend more or less the same by taking a Taxi at the ariport and travelling by train to Termini and than taking the Taxi once at the station. You might save a little money (but not too much) by taking the subway from Termini to your hotel, but the difference would still be, I think, in the order of 10 dollars and not more.
I suggest you take the taxi.
Wait in the line until a larger car that can accomodate all of you shows up (allowing people who were behind you to get on the eralier but not large enough cars) and go all the way to your hotel.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:48 AM
Henly Gold

As I recall, a train ticket was somewhere around 10 dollars a person. A taxi is only 40 total. If you do take train to Termini and then get taxi, be sure it is an official taxi. I have gotten ripped off before.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:49 AM
m

i'm topping a post titled "rome airport to hotel transportation". I think something door to door is definitely easiest and you will probably be tired. Each paying train fare + taxi to hotel is probabaly not much different from hiring a service.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:23 AM
Doug Weller

Something door to door for that many people would almost certainly be cheaper than the train.

And when you get off the train, there is a *long* walk to the entrance where you get your taxi. Never, ever get a taxi at Termini before you get to the entrance where you will find the official taxis.

Doug

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:23 AM
GAC

The non-stop train from FCO to Termini Station will cost 43.50 Euros for five. Add another 10 Euros or so for the cab ride to the hotel. A taxi from FCO would cost about the same (or less). If your hotel is close to the Trastevere or Ostiense train stations (not too many are), you could take the commuter train from FCO (NOT the "Leonardo da Vinci" non-stop to Termini Station). These commuter trains run every 15 minutes (every 30 minutes on Sundays) and cost 50% of the better-known train to Termini. They run from the airport station track adjacent to the track for Termini station. It's 22 minutes to Trastevere, and under 30 minutes to Ostiense. You would still need to take a cab to your hotel. Even if the hotel is not particularly close to either of these commuter train stations, you could still take a cab from there and spend less than a cab from FCO. In any event, I don't recommend the subway with heavy luggage.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:59 AM
ledbetter

Depends on where your hotel is.

If it is near Termini, then the non-stop shuttle would be better than a taxi probably. If it is not, the line with stops (FS-1 I think) will take you to Ostiense where you can switch to the Metro. We did this and found it to be a fine way to travel. Although if you have 3 younger children the Metro might not be the way to go because it only stops for about 30 seconds....

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:01 AM
AttyVette

We are traveling to Rome next week and we booked our shuttle from the airport through an agency in the U. S., it's at www.travel-italy.com. There are also 5 of us and this way they will pick us up and take us directly from the airport to our hotel. Plus, I think you are asking for trouble trying to carry your luggage through the masses of people getting on and off a train.We will be in Italy from the 12th leaving on the 23rd of this month.Maybe we will see you there.....Where are ya'll traveling from? We are traveling there from Texas.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:14 AM
Alice Twain

AttyVette

Actually booking a navette from the Us is probably the most expensive way of all to deal with the problem. A taxi offers exactly the same service but with a lower price. As for going up and down the trins with all the luggage, it is not such a deal: as long as you do not overburden yourself, the train won't leave until all of the pasengers have brought all their bags on the train.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:23 AM
zootsi

We did a limo from the airport to our hotel door. It was $37 Euros for two in a roomy Mercedes. Doesn't make any sense to struggle with trains and busses to save a few Euros. We tried using the train when travelling from CDG to Paris a few years ago, and got totally lost in the train station, lugging our bags while being exhausted, on the hottest day of the year - not fun.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:26 AM
laura

Thanks everyone the taxi wins.

AttyVette-We're from Chicago, but we won't be in Italy until July 30th through Aug. 15th. Have a wonderful trip!!
Laura