Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stying outside of and taking the RER to Paris

Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Our friends who will be traveling in Normandy and Brittany want to go to Paris for a few days. They will have a car so wonder if they could stay outside of Paris and take the train in. Has anyone else done this? Do you have any suggestions where they might stay?
Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM

It is so much easier and nicer to be IN Paris--maybe even going back to your hotel to freshen before dinner. There are parking garages, and you might even find a hotel that has a garage facility.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM

I do not recommend staying outside of Paris. The only way to get a feel for Paris is to be there. Transportation costs will far exceed the costs of parking the car not to mention the time lost shuttling into and out of Paris.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 02:12 PM

Of course, your friends should stay in Paris, but if they do not then I must say I was uber impressed with the RER. They may however be going with the traffic, as I was travelling against it. If they do stay outside the city, their train tickets will also be valid for a metro ride (or two) if they buy return tickets - a plus. Would they like to stay in Versailles? There's a lovely market there and there must be some nice accomodations outside of the town. Just a thought. Bonne chance!
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:14 PM

I have done exactly what Micheline's friends are considering, and it worked fairly well. Yes, in many ways it is more fun to be in the city proper, but driving and parking are challenges I decided I didn't need. On both occasions I drove to Paris I stayed in Maisons-Laffitte, which offers a few reasonable eating opportunities (that makes things easier).
Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I will forward your replies and suggestions to my friends.
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Of course they could, if they want to, why not. To be closest, they might find a big, modern hotel just outside the peripherique near a metro stop. They could stay at La Defense, for example, I think lots of hotels around there have parking and it's not far out. Or near Porte de Clichy, there is a big Ibis out there that is above their usual level. I'm just trying to think of things on the north side, more or less. http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...re/index.shtml

I don't know what they charge for parking, though, but you will likely find a charge in a lot of places close to Paris. There are probably some around Porte Maillot, also.
Aug 24th, 2009, 09:05 AM

hi Micheline,

for reasons we don't need to go into now, we ended up staying in St. Germain-en-laye which is at the end of an RER line. it takes about 30 mins to get to E'toile.[L'arc de triomphe].

there is a car park under the train station.
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:47 AM

IN not outside of Paris
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM

My only experience was staying in one of the outer arrondisements of Paris. While I liked the idea of being away from the tourist crowds and experiencing a bit of the more local flavour of the city, it was a bit of a hastle if I was buying anything to lug it around all day, versus going back to hotel to drop off before going out to dinner. I was OK with the 15-20 minutes getting into central Paris, but must say that being able to walk to some sites from hotel would have its attraction. But, you pay for convenience. I'd be tempted to say park it somewhere (out or in) but stay inside central Paris.

What are their plans for this car? Would they drive from Normandy to Paris just to park car, then drive back? Where are they dropping it off? Where are they going after Paris? There are high speed trains from outer regions to central Paris.
Aug 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM

In their shoes, I would try to figure out someplace to park the car for a few days (either in or outside the city) & stay centrally. I love to be able to walk to things, not be tied to use of public transportation every single time I leave my hotel. I also like to be able to stop back to the room during the day. "commuting" into Paris on vacation would not be my personal ideal.
Aug 24th, 2009, 12:28 PM

We spend enough time hopping on & off the Metro as is, please encourage them to stay in the city. annhig - we always 'go out' to St. Germain-en-Laye for a day just to escape the city & enjoy the Park & water.
Aug 24th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Why can't they just leave the car and take a train to Paris and back and not even have to think about parking issues?
Aug 24th, 2009, 12:44 PM

That's a very good question, unless they happen to be Europeans who are actually driving around in their own car. That might be it, otherwise I also would dump the car for the last days in Paris.
Aug 24th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

They are landing in Zurick and driving to Paris. From Paris they are going to Normandy and Brittany and then back to Zurick. They chose Zurick because it is close to Wangen where they are going to a reunion. They very much appreciate your suggestions.