Stuttgart to France

Jan 17th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Stuttgart to France

The following is a duplicate report from the Germany Topic...I thought it would help to get information from both countries...I just need a place to start.

Message: Hello - I am new to Fodors but I have found that the posters out there really know their stuff!

My husband will soon be stationed in Stuttgart (from Upstate New York). I hope to visit him in Germany and was wondering about travelling to France during a visit.

Would like suggestions and/or information about towns to visit along the border. How much is car rental (and what side do you drive on) or are there places easily accessible by train?

Sorry for my ignorance of the area (I'll start studying!) and thanks in advance for ANY help you can give me.
Jan 17th, 2004, 10:24 PM

There is a small town near Stuttgart by the name of Sindlefingen that is
charming. I's been a few years ago, but I remember the beautiful scenery.
Would be a nice place to stay.
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:24 AM

Strasbourg ( the cathedral in late afternoon sun is enchanting...and the old town after dark)
Baden-baden
Colmar and the "wine road" of the Alsace region.
Meersburg on Lake Constance.
Ulm (birthplace of Einstein and the tallest cathedral)
Just some ideas
Can't remember how far it would be for you to get to the French city of Dijon, but we thought it was very neat...not touristy...university town. Pleasant
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so kindly for the suggestions. At least it's a place to start!
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:18 PM

Hi Mona - if your husband is staioned in the stuttgart area, his friends (and their wives) will have plenty of input. Where exactly will he be...UCOM at Patch...I'll check in a few days, I used to live there myself. At any ate, you have a lot of travel options from the area. Ceratainly plan to drive east towards Strassbourg. Take in Baden-baden on another day tirip. A short drive south will ake you to Ul m - see the catherdral. Munich is only a few hours away. Lucerne, also to the south in swtz. is another short rrip. Stuttgart is a great place from whci to see a lot. But, there is a lot in the iommediate area...do a search on suttgart for ideas. - seafox