Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Stupid souvenirs (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stupid-souvenirs-281447/)

tee Dec 26th, 2002 11:07 AM

Stupid souvenirs

There are regular threads about what one should buy while traveling in Europe. What was the stupidest thing you bought? In Paris, I stocked up on a bunch of junk in a souvenir store in Montmarte (sp?). When I got home, I was glad I bought the cheesy coasters and the tiny Eiffel tower, but don't know why I bought playing cards with nude pictures on them. I've been waiting for a bachelor party or some excuse to discard them ever since!

hee Dec 26th, 2002 12:16 PM

An ugly tapestry in Florence bought under the influence.

orgy7 Dec 26th, 2002 12:54 PM

the stupidest was bringing back an empty packege froma a Cafee shop in amsterdam.(DOES not sll Coffee..Nothing happened but not the smartest thing too do..

tee Dec 26th, 2002 01:42 PM

Come to think of it, I think I may have been under the influence, too.

Betsy Dec 26th, 2002 04:21 PM

My favorite souviners are the stupid ones! I currently collect tacky snow globes. My favoirte is my Pope snowglobe purchased during the jubilee year of 2000.

Jim Rosenberg Dec 26th, 2002 05:56 PM

I collect the local brass souvenirs: the boy from Brussels, cable car from SF, Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building, Washington Monument, Big Ben, the Alamo, Christo Redentor of Rio, Buddah, etc. They're kind of dumb, but a shelf full of them is also sort of interesting. The award for the dumbest one to date definitely oes to the beaver with the Canadian penny stuck in its back.

xxx Dec 26th, 2002 06:41 PM

Tah-dah! I didn't succumb, but those dancing Mickeys are pretty stupid!

mh Dec 26th, 2002 10:46 PM

I got married in Copenhagen this year. My hubby would not shut up about getting a mermaid snow globe. I think he used this as an excuse to go shopping.Well we were walking by this little store and guess what is in the window? that stupid little mermaid globe. I forced him to go in an buy it, since he wanted it soooooooo much!!!!!!!! he hates it and so do I, but since he would not shut up about it, he has one...don't even know where it is now.

funny Dec 27th, 2002 06:00 AM

Any more?

Kimmi Dec 27th, 2002 07:39 AM

I bought those stupid condoms that read "I Love London" with a lipstick kiss on the packaging. They weren't even functional. "For novelty use only".

curious Dec 27th, 2002 07:47 AM

Anyone buy a coockoo (sp?) clock and wondered what to do with it when they returned?

Thyra Dec 27th, 2002 08:25 AM

On our last day in Athens, my husband and I succumbed and bought a set of pottery "greek erotica" coasters... OMG.. was that a fluke.. from time to time we forget and have them out on the coffee table... not too cool when my mother comes to visit... really they are ridiculous,,, but kinda funny.

aint Dec 29th, 2002 08:57 AM

Come on, surely there are more out there! I don't know why, but I have bought little tooth cleaning brushes out of machines in Paris and Haarlem. The first resembles a toothbrush with built on toothpaste. The latter is kind of like a toothbrush you chew on?!

Ashamed Dec 29th, 2002 09:01 AM

<BR><BR>Ack! I did fall for those dancing Mickeys.

Lee Dec 29th, 2002 09:04 AM

I never get anything stupid :) but a friend got me a shrunken head that was the grossest thing I ever saw.

Connie Dec 29th, 2002 10:29 AM

Let's see we traveled for 26 days in Europe, I &quot;stole&quot; alot of bar cardboard drink coaster and matches. We found a different shaped Evian bottle and drank the water then kept the bottle (it looks like a big drip of water), I also bought the tooth brush things, Playing cards w/ a pot leaf on them, from Amsterdam we bought a &quot;Grow your own Penis&quot; sponge, there are so many I could go on for days.... that's just some of the dingiest things!

Kelly Dec 29th, 2002 12:56 PM

I fell for the dancing Mickeys also. And still regret that I was so stupid!!!

this Dec 30th, 2002 07:33 AM

Too funny Connie!

Bob Dec 30th, 2002 08:21 AM

The one that I did not purchase and should have was in Budapest in 2000. <BR><BR>The guy was selling these wooden dolls from Russia where they all fit inside each other and get smaller. Except his was Bill Clinton! Then he opened up the Clinton doll and showed me the smaller dolls inside in order: Monica Lewinsky, Paula Jones, Jennifer Flowers and the last little tiny doll was an unsmiling Hillary Clinton. <BR><BR>The guy had a great speal and it was only $18. I passed and have regretted it since. Great conversation piece.<BR><BR>We just returned from China and bought some mugs that turn colors when heated tea in poured inside. Trouble is my wife put them in the dishwasher. The decal that turns colors was ruined. Learned a lesson there.

trying Dec 30th, 2002 10:38 AM

Bob: someone brought me one of those Clinton nesting dolls, with a sax as the smallest doll. I've heard there are also version with a cigar as the smallest doll.