Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Studying art/language in Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/studying-art-language-in-florence-267801/)

Syrin Oct 22nd, 2002 02:47 PM

Studying art/language in Florence

Has anyone studied art or Italian in Florence? I am thinking about going there next year and would loves to hear the pros or cons from anyone who has done this. I'd rather go to a city that is not so touristy, but I haven't had any luck finding short (1-6 month) art courses anywhere else.<BR><BR>Thanks for your help.

xxx Oct 22nd, 2002 05:56 PM

I have a close friend who has done it. She really liked the experience of learning and improving her skill but she soon began to hate Florence which she loved as a tourist. It became too small and the Italians there became intolerably rude -something all of us may shrug off as at tourist since it is short term. Learning Italian is vital, because many Florentines will not accomodate your lack of their language. Still she would do it all over again (3 month art classes), but she probably will never visit Florence (or Italy) again.

Eye Spy Oct 23rd, 2002 05:42 AM

You may want to try: www.lorenzodemedici.it which has a very solid reputation and the costs are quite reasonable. Check it out.

kathypompe Oct 23rd, 2002 06:18 AM

If you're interested in taking the art class for university credit, you'll need to check with the art department of a college or university near you. Most schools offer international art classes for credit, and many have the posters and flyers announcing these classes hanging in their hallways.

jean Oct 23rd, 2002 11:38 AM

Poster #1 is right, well partly right :) You'll have a much better time if start studying Italian before you go. If you can, try to find housing on your your own, not through your school, and get Italian roomates, somewhere away from the city centre.

joni Oct 23rd, 2002 03:21 PM

Syrin, my daughter is studying art and Italian at Scuola Lorenzo de'Medici this semester, and it seems to be an excellent program. And she loves Florence! Check out the school; they have a semester program similar to what we have in the States. Classes are taught in English, but the Italian classes are immersion courses, i.e., no English at all -- great way to learn the language. And don't listen to Jean about living away from the city centre. My daugher's only regret is that she is about a 45 minute walk into the City. She was warned before hand about the noise (motor bikes)in the City, but she says it's worse outside the City. Although I do agree with Jean about finding independent housing. It's much cheaper to do it on your own.<BR>If you do get housing through the school, there are regulations about visitors. Florence is small enough that you can basically walk everywhere! In any case, feel free to email me if you have any questions. Go for it if you can work it out; it will be the experience of a lifetime!

Jackie Oct 23rd, 2002 03:56 PM

I would suggest, if you are looking for a less touristy city, studying in Macerata Italy through the AHA program. I studied through this program three years ago, and i very much enjoyed it. I minored in art, and I found the art history course in Renaissance art to be helpful, plus now they offer a painting course. Here's the website if you are interested. It is definitely a less touristy city. In fact, I live there now and love it.<BR><BR>A knowledge of the Italian language would be helpful before you come, although you will have Italian language courses while you are here.<BR><BR>Here's the address:<BR>http://www.aha-intl.org/macerata.html

kathypompe Oct 24th, 2002 05:41 AM

Syrin, A good website for information on international art classes is: www.saci-florence.org<BR>Studying art in another country and immersing oneself in another culture is an excellent idea. Go for it. Kathy

rita Oct 24th, 2002 06:32 AM

Quite a few years ago I did a one month photography course in Florence. It was wonderful way to experience a city and culture and it remains one of my favorite travel memories. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this type of travel/study to anyone.<BR><BR>When I was researching the course I found numerous offerings by many reputable institutions and universities, most being taught in english. I would begin your search with art institutions and museums and see what the offerings are. The course I took was through the Emily Carr College of Art + Design in Vancouver , Canada. I know that they no longer offer the photography course but I beleive they still offer classes in drawing and printmaking. Good luck.

syrin Oct 24th, 2002 07:45 AM

Thanks for your help everyone! I'm still trying to figure out which school to attend (I'm about 10 years past needed university credits, so at least I don't have to worry about that part), but I certainly will take the advice on finding my own housing and studying Italian before I go.<BR><BR>Molto grazie