Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > studying abroad, need advice on how to spend two month-long breaks
Notices

studying abroad, need advice on how to spend two month-long breaks

Aug 23rd, 2014, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

studying abroad, need advice on how to spend two month-long breaks

I'm studying abroad in London next year for the entire year. We have a month long break in December/January and another one in April. I am trying to figure out which European countries I should visit during each break. I've been warned that traveling from city to city too often is tiring, but who knows when I'll be back here again so I want to make the most of it. The main problem is that the winter break is going to be pretty cold. I'm trying to figure out which cities in Europe are the most worth visiting in general (recommendations are welcome). But I'm also trying to figure out which are best enjoyed in winter, and which should be saved till April. I don't want to "waste" a great city by visiting it in winter, when it's really much prettier/more enjoyable in spring. But I still want the winter trip to be fun.

My friend and I thought it might be best to visit northern european cities in winter. (Maybe Copenhagen, Amsterdam, German Christmas Markets somewhere, Vienna, Budapest, Prague?) In the spring we would potentially do Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Greece, Turkey.

Does this sound like a good idea? Are any of these places less worthy of a visit/overrated? We have a lot of places we'd like to cram in, but if we could take any off our list that would probably be helpful. Our strategy seems to be to go to colder places when it's cold so we can enjoy warmer places when it's warm, but would you do it differently.

Thanks so much, any advice would be so appreciated!

(Also, if we missed France/Spain/Portugal would we be missing out a lot? I've heard Switzerland is nice--should we try to fit it in to our trip?)
Aug 23rd, 2014, 01:10 PM

My son studied abroad in the UK and spent his break in Spain where it was warmer. Visiting northern European cities will be cod and they will have shortened days as it will get dark even earlier there. I would head south on your first trip, Spain, So. Italy. Basically, reverse your plan.
Aug 23rd, 2014, 02:30 PM

You need to access skyscanner and find out which of the cheepo airlines go where, they tend to be closish to the city described just not always the main airport. Once you know what is cheap and fast to get to you have a possible list. Note that London has 5 airports most of which ar eash to get to by public transport. City, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton.

Yes go to a a couple of colder cities in the winter, but I'd look at say Seville/Cordoba/Grenada in the colder months just to warm up. London can get a bit damp and cold in the winter and you will need a break.

Also look at the cheepo tourist airlines going a bit further, prices can be low if booked early. Getting to Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco around Christmas can be very pleasant. Examples include Thompson, Cosmos, Crystal, Jet2.com

Good luck

Search this Thread