Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   studying abroad in Florence? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/studying-abroad-in-florence-481559/)

alm0stbeautiful Oct 20th, 2004 03:06 PM

studying abroad in Florence?

Well I live in Seattle, WA, and at my college there is an opprotunity to go to Florence Italy and study for a quarter. For those of you that HAVE been to Florence, what do you think of it? Overall I think it'd be a FANTASTIC opprotunity, but I've never been and am just curious to see what people think of it...

tedgale Oct 20th, 2004 03:35 PM

Well it appealed to persons as diverse as Robert and Elizabeth Browning, Henry James, Nancy Cunard -- do you need more names?

I was a student there for a "quarter" 30 years ago and yes, I loved it -- but NB it was winter, not tourist season. You will find many American students there -- that may be a plus or a minus, depending on your view.

Leely Oct 20th, 2004 03:43 PM

Florence is very nice. What is it that you want to know?

I didn't study there, but a number of friends when I was in college did (this was about 10 years ago). They liked it, although, as the previous poster noted, many many American college students spend a semester or so there. Some people appreciate that. For others it's a drawback.

fluffy Oct 20th, 2004 04:36 PM

I say go for it, are you arranging this through a community college? That would be the way to go, I know it would be much more affordabe.What is your interest of study? Sometimes those study abroad programs can be limited.If you've never been to Italy , I highly suggest Florence. You could be in Rome in 1 1/2 hours, and Venice in three, if you take the bullet train. If you want to get away for the week end.
I was in Florence last Sept. and stayed near one of the language schools, I really enveied the students, studying in Italy.
Best of luck
Fluffy

clevelandbrown Oct 20th, 2004 04:48 PM

One of my sons did an exchange quarter, but not in Florence. If they offer expertise in your field of study, I think it is a rare opportunity you would not want to miss.

One suggestion I would make is that you pick a quarter that abuts summer or the holiday break, so you can have a few extra weeks there when you are not tied up with studies, perhaps even have your parents come over and share the experience.

artlover Oct 20th, 2004 04:50 PM

We too live in Seattle and my daughter is going to Siena next Spring to study and I'm SO EXCITED FOR HER! (Of course we're going to meet her there for a few days!) Florence is great too--I say GO FOR IT!

I studied in Mexico for a quarter when I was an undergraduate about 100 years ago, and am glad I did, but wish I had gone to Europe instead of Mexico!

alm0stbeautiful Oct 20th, 2004 05:03 PM

Thank you for all your replies...

Yes, this is my freshman year in a COMMUNITY College, and it would be spring quarter. So..end of march- mid June. MY particular field of study would be journalism and photography.
I've ALWAYS dreamed over going over to Europe (besides Antarctica, the only continent I haven't been on), and living there for a few months would be amazing. I actually dont know what i want to know...haha. Just...about the city I guess. Any good sites you might know? Thanks again...

Leely Oct 20th, 2004 05:10 PM

Just go--you'll love it! Amazing art, stunning skies, fantastic food and wine, a long and interesting history.

The Florentine men are pretty easy on the eyes, too.

ira Oct 21st, 2004 07:58 AM

Hi alm,

Go. Enjoy.
"No" in Italian is "No". "Yes" is "Si".

bookchick Oct 21st, 2004 08:13 AM

I was a student in Florence in 1987. It was one of the most worthwhile years of my life, and I am so glad I had and took the opportunity to study abroad. It was nice to explore all the great works of Renaissance art at my leisure, and also nice to have a "base" in Europe if I wanted to travel elsewhere. (And I did. I spent long weekends in Venice and Nice, went to Avignon, Arles, Orange, and also accompanied a British classmate home for a short school holiday.)

I hope you do this and love every moment!

BC

kfusto Oct 21st, 2004 08:28 AM

IMHO, Florence is the most wonderful city in the world! My first visit there was in 1982 and I have been a regular ever since and hope to live there one day in the near future.

I was an exchange student in Austria at the University of Salzburg in 1974 asnd it changed my life. I had never really travelled before that but I have not stopped since.

There is no greater education than travel and Florence is an absolutely fabulous city. There are a ton of American students there and it is a very easy city to get around in.
I think this is a wonderful opportunity for you!