Study time for teen in toledo

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Study time for teen in toledo

My 19 year old daughter is thinking of studying in toledo for a semester. Her spanish is good and she has traveled but generally prefers more urban type centers, cafes, music, street culture. Any thoughts on that city for an extended period of time for a young person. What about late night transportation around there? Her other alternative is santiago chile, not other spain options.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:25 PM

I've only visited Toledo for a few days so don't know what the city might be like for a 19 year old, but I think it's a wonderful place. My 20 year old is going to be studying in Siena for Spring quarter, and IMO, studying in a foreign country is an incredible eperience. I did when I was 19 and I can only encourage your daughter to go for it.

She might want to check out Lonelyplantet.com for some information--I believe the posters there a more in her age group than here.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Toledo is a lovely town, but I'm not sure it would be your daughter's best choice if she's looking for lots of activity or a vibrant urban feel. The city is beautiful, with very interesting history, some good restaurants and a small bar scene at night, but it's not a big place and it's mostly full of tourists during the day then dies down a lot after dark. When I was in college, I studied in Sevilla (which I adored) and we went to Toledo on a couple of weekend trips and had a great time, but I don't think I would have wanted to live there for an entire semester.

That said, part of what's great about living abroad for an extended time is really getting to know the nooks and crannies of a town, meet locals, hang out at places the tourists don't find, etc. I'm sure she would get to know Toledo in a way that most people don't and might really enjoy it. Also, it's only an hour by train from Madrid, which makes for an easy day or weekend trip if she needs a little excitement.

I know you said her other alternative was Chile, but if she has a chance to study somewhere else in Spain, it sounds like she might really like Madrid, Sevilla or Barcelona.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 08:19 AM

To my mind, Toledo might be the perfect place to go for a semester. It's small enough to get to know very well, and it's near enough to Madrid for outings there. Students who go to Barcelona, Madrid, and Seville wind up not learning as much as they could because of the Bright Lights, Big City effect. In Salamanca they don't learn as much as they could because of the masses of foreign students there. A semester is a very short period, and she should try to learn as much as possible. Otherwise, she should just take a semester off and travel.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:32 PM

In response to your question about a semester in Toledo, I am going to bring up some ancient history. When I was a teenager (17 years old), I had the privelidge of spending a summer living in Toledo with a family as part of an organization called the Experiment in International Living. It was an experience that changed my life. Being in a small city, getting to know the people,learning the customs, enjoying the street life, improving, but not perfecting my Spanish, and "Expecting the Unexpected" was a wonderful experience. Toledo is small enough to really get to know the city and the people. Within the old city you can walk almost anywhere.

Why do I call my experiences there ancient history? It was in 1969. Of curse the city has changed, but it has retained its essence. The best part were the friends I made. Although I am not in contant touch with them, we have a bond that cannot be broken. In fact I went back last year and saw someone who I have not seen in 35 years! The warmth of our reunion was overwhelming. I have been back only four times since 1969, but seeing some of my old friends has always been a joy. I have even enjoyed visits from them here in NYC.

I hope you can feel the essence of the experience I had in Toledo.

Go for it.

(Since I have not been there often since 1969, this message board was a vital resource for me when planning my trip...take full advantage of it.)