Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

StuDudley or any other Cote D"Azur experts, I need advice

Aug 31st, 2010, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

We are going to be in Nice for a few days. We are going to Eze one day and have lunch at the Chateau Eza. We have reservations for 12:30. I was thinking that we could walk around Eze in the morning, have lunch, then go to St. Jean -Cap-Ferrat to the Villa Ephrussi-de-Rothschild. Is that too much for one day? If not, do you know how we would get from Eze to the villa. I know how to get to both from Nice but not from Eze to St Jean.
Aug 31st, 2010, 07:07 PM

Is the Chateau Exa in Eze? If so Eze is a small town so it must be a short walk from anyplace.

If it is in Eze/sur/Mer then that is hundreds of feet below Eze, on the sea.

and yes it is easy to include the Rothschild thingy with Eze - if up for a hike you can take the Philosophers' Path down from Eze to Eze/s/Mer and hop on one of the coastal shuttle trains to St Jean-Cap Ferrat and then do a short walk to the Villa Ephrussi. Otherwise it is a bus back to Nice i would think or over to Monaco and then a train from either to Cap Ferrat - maybe a quicker bus route but Eze is on top of the corniche and Cap Ferrat far below it on the sea.
Sep 1st, 2010, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

It is up high, in the town of Eze. Thanks for the help.
Sep 1st, 2010, 07:06 AM

It's definately not too much for one day. Eze is beautiful but an hour or two to walk around will be more than enough, the same for the Villa Ephrussi, I would definatley do both in a day.
If you have time left for another walk there is a great paved path all the way around the point at Cap Ferrat, maybe an hour walk, beautiful.
Sep 1st, 2010, 07:20 AM

As far as I know, Eze doesn't have any direct public transportation connection to the Villa so I would take a taxi from Eze instead of the bus transfer via Nice. If you book lunch at Chateau Eza, make sure you specify you want the outdoor seating not in the cool lounge inside which they use if there's a crowd invasion from the cruise boats. They also serve reasonable pris fixe dinner when you can enjoy the sunset during summertime.
Sep 1st, 2010, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. We did request outdoor seating because of the views. Todor, any guess as to the cost of a taxi to the Villa. There will be six of us so I guess that we may need two. Susanna, thanks for the info because I wasn't sure how much time to allow for walking around Eze and for the Villa. It looks so large I didn't want to shortchange our visit.
Sep 1st, 2010, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

ttt for you Stu!
Sep 1st, 2010, 03:26 PM

You can take a bus from Eze-village down to Eze bord du Mer (or whatever), then a train to the station near St-Jean. No need for a taxi.

You don't need much more than 2-3 hours to visit the Villa Ephrussi and its 7 gardens, all in different styles, but you might want to stop for tea in the beautiful tea room with a view to die for (unless you're in an Agatha Christie mystery).
Sep 2nd, 2010, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Sounds easy enough to do, thanks U.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 07:35 AM

We visited the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild and enjoyed the gardens even more than we enjoyed the interior of the villa. Maybe because it was such a beautiful day to be outside. We enjoyed a snack in their garden cafe, also, when a ferocious wind came up. Two to three hours is a good estimate of time to spend at the Villa.

From the Villa, we walked down the hill to St. Jean Cap Ferrat, which was an easy walk (downhill) to that charming little harbor (with gorgeous yachts).

You can easily take the city bus from St. Jean back into Nice.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:08 AM

On the train part. BE REALLY careful in the train stations, especially in Nice. When I was there this summer, there were hundreds of reports a WEEK of pickpockets working the train station and the tram stations. Leave all nonessential stuff(passsport, cc, etc) in hotel safe. Take only cash and if needed, cc with you in an under the clothes pouch. Leave nothing of real value in pockets, in handbag, or man purse.

Once again, I stress, keep valuables in a pouch under your clothing. Nice has become worse than Barcelona for pick pockets and grab and run artists.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:49 AM

You can take a bus from Eze-village down to Eze bord du Mer (or whatever), then a train to the station near St-Jean. No need for a taxi.>

Just curious as to what path this bus takes - is it a mini-bus scooting down a narrow path or does it go a circuitous route, etc.

Just curious, thanks.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Good point, PalenQ. I am sure the restaurant can help us with which way to go. They probably would know how much a cab is too. I think the general feeling is that it is doable to visit Eze, eat lunch and still have time for the Villa.

I am always careful when I travel and thankfully have never had a problem. Hopefully never will. I always read postings about scams so that I know what's out there. The old "to be forwarned is to be forearmed". My youngest had her purse stolen in London and her passport stolen in Cork, when she did her semester abroad. Her fault entirely, she didn't listen to any of the tips I passed on to her from fodorites. Her older sister spent a semester abroad and taught in England for almost two years with absolutely no problems. Entirely different girls!
Sep 2nd, 2010, 06:19 PM

The Villa Kérylos in Beaulieu-sur-Mer is also beautiful. Built in the early 1900s but à la ancient Greek. If I had to choose between living in the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild or the Villa Kérylos (I'm waiting to be asked), it would be Kérylos for me. They're a walkable distance apart.