Travelling with diabetes

Old Jun 28th, 2015, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelling with diabetes

Just wondering if we could get any help, me and my boyfriend are going to Spain for 3 months in a couple of weeks but are thinking about extending it to around a year only if we can sort his insulin. How does it all work like how much do we have to pay etc.
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 04:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are US citizens, you can only stay 90 days without a Visa.
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 05:27 AM

Sounds like British, not American. Americans don't "sort" things.
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 05:47 AM

I'm not sure what your questions are. First of all is he currently taking regular insulin that needs to be refrigerated? If so, my first step would be to talk to my physician and see about changing to one of the "insulin pen" systems for which the insulin goes up to three months without refrigeration and requires a lot less "work" with syringes and all the rest. And assuming you are in England -- it shouldn't be hard to get a prescription for refills at a Spanish pharmacy.
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 02:02 PM

hi Loz2910

Have a look at this site that may answer some of your questions. Prices may have gone up a little bit though as I am unsure when the page was last updated. Still, it does give you a general idea of what to expect.

http://www.diabetesinspain.com/resou...sked-questions

I agree with NeoPatrick's advice regarding using an insulin pen. In the UK our insulins only last 1 month when actually in the pen and being used without refrigeration. Fingers crossed they bring the 3-month one over the pond.

Lastly, to keep insulin cool I use a Frio bag. You place it in cold water, it absorbs it and then keeps the insulin(s) at the right temperature for a good few days no matter how hot outside it is. When the Frio begins to dry out you simply put it back into cold water and ongoing coolness returns. I've used it for years in many hot countries and it has never let me down. Details are here:

http://www.friouk.com/

They have stockists in many countries so hopefully you can find one closer to you wherever you are.

One thing I should mention which caught me out a few years ago. The insulin I was on at that time (one of the Humulin range) was not recogised at the pharmacy in Spain when I went to buy a 'top up'. They did eventually find it but under a different name. So, it might be worthwhile taking the pharmacuetical name of the insulin as well as the normal name. Hope that makes sense.

Jon
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 04:10 PM

Australians also "sort".