Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Student to Paderno with CIMBA (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/student-to-paderno-with-cimba-356348/)

clairessa May 7th, 2008 08:50 AM

Student to Paderno with CIMBA

My college son will be traveling to Paderno del Grappa, Italy in 2 weeks for study with the CIMBA undergrad business program. Is anyone familiar with this area? This is his first trip to Europe and he does not know anyone else who is going. He flies into Venice and then is to take a train to where the campus is located. They have long weekends where they are encouraged to travel within Italy or neighboring countries. One question I have is whether to buy him an international cell phone through mobal or ekit. (Our service is Verizon which won't work.) I have read that calling cards are the cheapest, but my concern is for him to have something for emergencies and text messages. Also, how hard would it be to change his return ticket if he decides he wants to stay a few days extra to travel at the end of the summer term? Thank you for any advice.

laurel51 May 13th, 2008 03:19 PM

Clairessa - My dauther will be making the same trip to Paderno. This is also her first trip to Europe. She is probably going to purchase an international calling card once she arrives there. I believe there is a store in town - near the school - where they can purchase them. Our niece and nephew both studied at the same school so we have some information on the area. She is taking two debit cards and a credit card - no travelers checks. She too will fly into Venice next MOnday a.m. and take the train to Paderno. There should be a group of students doing the same thing. When does he arrive in Venice? I think there is a group flying in from Atlanta on Delta - perhaps he can connect with them. As for changing the ticket at the end of his stay, I think it is usually about $100 to change dates through your airline.

Hope this helps.

LoveItaly May 13th, 2008 03:29 PM

Hello clairessa, your son must be so excited!

Will he have a telephone in his room..a dorm room I presume. Pay phones are not as easy to find in Italy as they once were. Just mentioned that regarding the calling card.

The last time I changed my flight home from Italy (KLM but reserved through Northwest) it cost me $150.00 to change the depature date. So check with the airline he will be using. And with wanting to change the date it also depends if there is a seat available of course.

clairessa May 14th, 2008 08:58 AM

Thank you both for your replies! Yes, my son is excited and not nervous like me. He flies out of Atlanta at 7:30 pm and arrives in Venice at 11:05 am. He found a group on Facebook and it appears that many are on that same Delta flight. They will take a train from Venice, and there was an email about a bus that would pick them up from the train station at Bassano.

He will be in a dorm, and I believe there are pay phones there. He has decided not to take a cell phone and use a calling card. I guess figuring it all out is part of the experience. I was mainly worried about weekend trips where he might go to another country, and me not able to know where he was. He was going to bring one debit card and one credit card. We also got a small amount of Euros to start from our bank. I don't know, maybe one more card would be wise.

Laurel, how is your daughter returning? His return flight is not nearly as convenient as the way over. The direct flight to Atlanta wasn't offered. He has to go from Venice, to Rome, Cincinnati, and Chicago. He did not think he would want to stay and travel afterward since this is his first trip. It's good to know we can at least look for something if he changes his mind.

Thanks again. I'm not as anxious as I was!

laurel51 May 15th, 2008 05:55 AM

Claireesa - My daughter is on the same flight as your son out of Atlanta. As for the return flight - I think she has to fly through Paris and then to Atlanta and on home. After flying into Venice I believe they have to purchase a bus ticket to get to the train station where they purchase another ticket to get to Paderno del Grappa. Once there they purchase yet another bus ticket to get out to the school. This was all in the yellow booklet that we received. She too will be taking some euros with her but as I am sure you have found out the exchange rate it terrible - better to get your money over there. What is your son's name and I will give to my daughter - Margaret. I am sure between the group they can figure everything out. I think they all travel during the weekends so can find out others who want to travel the same place that they do and get a group together - saftey in groups!

laurel51

clairessa May 15th, 2008 07:07 PM

Laurel, my son's name is Joe. He got an email from one of the program coordinators about a week ago. It said they had set up free busses from the Bassano del Grappa train station to the Paderno campus. He asked them to reply and sign up for a bus preference depending on arrival time. The one at 14:30 was recommended for those on flights arriving before noon on Monday. I'm glad I happened to be around at the time he read it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have known.

The email said to take the ATVO bus from airport to Venezia Mestre train station, then train to Bassano del Grappa where they would have the busses. I'm glad you reminded me of that yellow book. We need to read through that again. I'm sure they will all have a wonderful adventure. Thanks so much for your help!