Notices

Student residence permit expired

Jun 6th, 2016, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Student residence permit expired

Hey, I have a very urgent question. I've been living in germany since september, I needed no visa during the 90 day period, and when it ended I got a student residence permit, which i couldn't renew in time. The permit (apparently it's not the same as a visa, but I'm not sure of the difference) expires on Wednesday, so I have to return to my country. My question is, how long do I have to stay away before coming back? The embassy in my country said I could technically come back immediately as long as I had the exit stamp, but to ask anyway. I was at the foreigner's office in my city today but I got there too late and couldn't ask, so I have to wait until tomorrow but I've been stressing a lot and any help would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
Jun 6th, 2016, 04:58 AM

If you have overstayed a permit I fail to see how you could return immediately.

It depends on what happens when you leave. If they notice that you have overstayed you may be fined and banned from Schengen for a certain amount of time because of your infraction. I don;t know the likelihood - but it could happen. (There was a poster not long ago who was banned for several years for overstaying his visa - but for a long time.)

If they simply let you leave (if your overstay was only a day or 2, perhaps due to confusion) then I think there is a good chance you can return once you have been out of the country for 90 days (you are allowed to be in Schengen 90 days out of 180).

But this can vary significantly based on your specific situation and the luck of the draw of the the authorities in charge when you leave. Agree to go to your embassy - but realize it is the government of Germany that will make the final decision.
Jun 6th, 2016, 06:51 AM

What is your country? The embassy in your country said to ask whom?

At any rate, asking here is futile, as no one here that I know of is a consular official or will have the answer to your question. Get back to the "foreigners' office" in your city tomorrow, early enough to talk to someone, and get an official answer.
Jun 6th, 2016, 09:54 AM

Did you ask the German embassy in your home country or some other embassy? Becuase it seems crazy for the German embassy to tell yo uthat you should "ask, anyway". Ask whom?

https://www.study-in.de/en/plan-your...rmit_26604.php

What you say doesn't match up with that description, which states that residence permits last a minimum of one year. Apparently students need them (and even locals have to register their residence) even if they don't need a visa due to their home country.

Search this Thread